Anybody use simulators?

With three autopilots, why not just take a nap?

Because somebody has to engage the reverse thrust, verify spoiler deployed, turn off (disengage) the 3 autopilots, clear the runway, kill the mode C, FD and AT off, landing lights and strobes off.

But they don't have to see the runway. lol

Because somebody has to engage the reverse thrust, verify spoiler deployed, turn off (disengage) the 3 autopilots, clear the runway, kill the mode C, FD and AT off, landing lights and strobes off.

... Set the air conditioning panel, accomplish the After Landing checklist, blah, blah.

Sorry for the ramble, this is just something that I am passionate about and I feel that most of the aviation world hasn't realized its potential.

Sure, out of the box, FS9 and FSX kinda suck. But load it up with some addons like this 744, a good weather program, some nicer scenery, and you can really get a realistic experience.
:yeahthat: I'm a living example of that. My years of FS2004 experience with addons like the above helped immensely with my transition to the CRJ.

X-Plane is great for practicing instrument approaches (smoother instrumentation than MS FS 2004 or FSX).

The Aeroworx King Air 200 addon for FS2004 is simply amazing. Pity there isn't a FSX version.

I used to play a lot of air combat sims (mainly WW2 era). That certainly helped me with unusual attitudes.

Desktop sims can be as realistic or gamey as you want. It all depends on how you use them.

Tried doing my first single engine landing in a 737 on flightsim and on short final forgot I was only on one engine and nearly stalled it. So as not to stall it I went full power but because only one engine was working the aircraft yawed violently to the right and I got into a flat spin like scenario and crashed.:banghead:

Tried doing my first single engine landing in a 737 on flightsim and on short final forgot I was only on one engine and nearly stalled it. So as not to stall it I went full power but because only one engine was working the aircraft yawed violently to the right and I got into a flat spin like scenario and crashed.:banghead:

The first time I flew an approach with LNAV/VNAV, I had no idea what I was doing. Instead of arming the LOC mode, and then the APP mode for the glideslope after establishing on the localizer, I used VNAV for descent (no speed intervention) and LNAV to align with the runway. Needless to say, I crossed the threshold at about 170 KIAS (with A/P engaged and still in LNAV/VNAV) and crashed like an idiot.

I don't want to throw a wrench into this wonderful conversation, however there is a lot to flying you cannot get from a computer sim.

I am a recovering FS junkie so I can relate. There is a lot to flying you cannot get anywhere else than the plane itself.

Seeing how a VOR works, intercepting radials and the basic's of instrument flying can be found on various websites for a lot less than paying for the game.

I'm glad you like playing the game, but keep in mind is it just that.

I don't want to throw a wrench into this wonderful conversation, however there is a lot to flying you cannot get from a computer sim.

I am a recovering FS junkie so I can relate. There is a lot to flying you cannot get anywhere else than the plane itself.

Seeing how a VOR works, intercepting radials and the basic's of instrument flying can be found on various websites for a lot less than paying for the game.

Good point. I (and I'm sure that many other simmers) realize that. But for now, my flying is limited to the computer. Can't do a damn thing about it.

That is pretty impressive. Is that the "Queen of the Skies" thing? I know some guys that use it to practice for PCs etc.

The autoland works great on the real thing as well. The three autopilots are only engaged together when landing for redundency and rudder control.

Reading on a website how a VOR works is one thing. Actually shooting a simulated VOR approach to your local airport using all the right freqs, radials and altitudes has a lot of value to it, as does practicing hold entries, scan etc etc.

Using desktop flight sims helped me a lot when I was working on my instrument rating.

Obviously, it isn't the same as being in a real aircraft, but MSFS, X-Plane or similar, certainly can have value if approached with the right mindset.

Looking at all the screenshots up here, I can see why we are all in such trouble in this profession. For there to be that much detail and realism on the simulators, people have to be really into it. And if they're really into playing a computer game, the idea of the real thing must seem irresistible, regardless of how little they will get paid.

I should start looking into returning to my former medical school plans....

(BTW, I'm not knocking simulators or the folks who play them AT ALL! Nothing wrong with simulators - it's just hard to be a professional in a career where people simulate your job, with a relatively high degree of realism, just for fun.)

Anybody have Leonardo's FlytheMaddog? My roomate(Delta MD88 FO) has taught me to the point he says I could probably skip training and go straight to the checkride:D This is probably my favorite addon:

http://www.flythemaddog.com/

maddog_banner.jpg

Looking at all the screenshots up here, I can see why we are all in such trouble in this profession. For there to be that much detail and realism on the simulators, people have to be really into it. And if they're really into playing a computer game, the idea of the real thing must seem irresistible, regardless of how little they will get paid.

I should start looking into returning to my former medical school plans....

(BTW, I'm not knocking simulators or the folks who play them AT ALL! Nothing wrong with simulators - it's just hard to be a professional in a career where people simulate your job, with a relatively high degree of realism, just for fun.)

Seggy said it best.

Don't get into a profession where people do it for a hobby.

My flight school, American Flyers has three simulators, SimPro 200 which are frequently used. They are used mostly during instrument training. They are FAA-approved and have X-Plane installed. Instrument students at American Flyers begin their training in the sim before stepping in the aircraft. IMHO, using the simulator prepared me for instrument flying in the actual aircraft. I also use Flight Sim X at home. I frequently play FSX to practice my instrument flying.

I used to like to flight sim a lot, but then flying starts to become work when you're flying IFR every day, and there's not really that much fun I can get out of fake VFR. Now, I use it to try to stay somewhat instrument current.

Back