Anybody use simulators?

Seggy said it best.

Don't get into a profession where people do it for a hobby.

Well don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ on the way out:D

Just playing.

Why did you two get into this profession then?

I know you guys knew people did this for a hobby before you pursued the career

Attachments

• 54-3-large[1].jpg
    54-3-large[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 91
Ya know, screw the PC sims.

I just got an invite out to Denver to fly the United simulators on 1/6 to 1/7!

=D

Sims are a great training aid, but I would advise against trying to do any IFR stuff with it until you start actual IFR training. Reason being there are a ton of bad habits you can acquire on your own. That being said, once you do start IFR training its an invaulable tool ;)

Ya know, screw the PC sims.

I just got an invite out to Denver to fly the United simulators on 1/6 to 1/7!

=D

Curt!

we're gonna have soooo much fun!

haha, i think this beats any PCATD!

dude, im still grinning!

i say we should stay a few extra days and chill haha

The FMS does work--fairly well, as a matter of fact! The only limitations with the FMS are that you can't use ACARS, download winds aloft, and one or two other things. Everything else is available. All of the switches work (with the exception of maybe five). You can even adjust the rudder pedals, move the sunshades up and down, and rotate a can of soda back and forth.

Oh ya, full FMS, EICAS, ND, IRS, fuel, hydraulics, APU, bleed systems, overhead, every switch and button on there works. Failures are modeled, CATIII autolands are realistic, uhhh, really I cant think of it all, but it does it all. :) After flying it for 250 hours or so, and studying the manual (I think its like 400 pages) I was able to get a 76% on a practice written exam for the 744 type license that one of their pilots got for me. :rawk:

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/prod/fs9/744f.html

thats the page for it, it really is amazing how detailed it gets, you would be very suprised if you actually got to fly it on a PC.

A features list from the site -

I went and found a few more screenshots that might give you an idea just how "realistic" this simulation is. Now, go fly them online under "real people" working ATC, and flying real world routes and approach procedures (our Navdata is updated once a month with new SIDs,STARs, routes, approaches, and runway information.

They also make a 736/7/8/9, and an MD-11 now with the same detail and quality.

Can you find the runway at 150 RA? :buck:

I can't even begin to describe how much the simulator has helped me in my flight training. I just about taught myself IFR (did my first IFR flight when I was 12, and the II didn't have to assist very much at all)

With "condor soaring simulator" (www.condorsoaring.com) I taught myself how to fly a glider cross-country faster (racing.)

Anything that you can do in real life, you can practice on a simulator, to make yourself an all around better, safer pilot.

I have even gone as far as giving 2 presentations in ABQ at the national soaring convention on simulators for use in training, proficiency, and to get experiences and practice you might not get in a real airplane.

Sorry for the ramble, this is just something that I am passionate about and I feel that most of the aviation world hasn't realized its potential.

Sure, out of the box, FS9 and FSX kinda suck. But load it up with some addons like this 744, a good weather program, some nicer scenery, and you can really get a realistic experience.

Because somebody has to engage the reverse thrust, verify spoiler deployed, turn off (disengage) the 3 autopilots, clear the runway, kill the mode C, FD and AT off, landing lights and strobes off.

But they don't have to see the runway. lol

... Set the air conditioning panel, accomplish the After Landing checklist, blah, blah.

Yeah, so if you boys would have told me you knew all this, I would have sat at home for the last couple months, let you do all my work, then I'd pick up my type in time for the holidays.

Act now...Only 5 sims to go!!

Yeah, so if you boys would have told me you knew all this, I would have sat at home for the last couple months, let you do all my work, then I'd pick up my type in time for the holidays.

How you like flying the Queen?

Used to be a hardcore FS9 junkie. Couldn't get myself off of it.

Then I started flying for real. There's no comparison. And I no longer have any desire whatsoever to crank up the FS.

If some of you younger guys can get jobs and get in the air (the real kind of air, that is) you'll be appeased as fast as you got hooked on the sims.

Then I started flying for real. There's no comparison. And I no longer have any desire whatsoever to crank up the FS.

If some of you younger guys can get jobs and get in the air (the real kind of air, that is) you'll be appeased as fast as you got hooked on the sims.

Now that I'm a commercial pilot...and not flying...I'm getting back into it :)

I try to keep my FS9 pretty realistic - I like landing the cub on top of buildings in downtown Honolulu!

I definatly have been simming less (a lot less) since I got my license.

Same thing goes for flying RC, its been years. :whatever:

Had a job for three years and counting. Too bad I make next to nothing. I just wish that I had parents that would pay for everything so that I could have started actual flying when I was twelve, too! :)

Well don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ on the way out:D

Just playing.

Why did you two get into this profession then?

I know you guys knew people did this for a hobby before you pursued the career

Yeah, I did know, and I was one of those people. I almost flunked out of college because I played WAY too much WWII fighters.

I got into this profession because I LOVE flying, and I couldn't see myself happy doing anything else.

I still love flying just as much (if not more) than I did. But as I've gotten a bit older, and as I've learned more about the challenges of the profession first-hand, I could maybe see myself doing something else. We'll see.

But like an awesome girlfriend that one takes for granted, I probably would miss flying like crazy and want back in if I left.

How in hell do you get all those add ons? Some of that stuff looks pretty damn real. I like that Mad Dog add on. How do I download that? Looks fun.

I really haven't messed with the MSFS9 in awhile since one of my old instructors began slapping Post Its on the instruments. :)

quite yer cryin'.....

There's no crying in -400 school, tears mess up the smoking jacket. Forget the type, you have to get issued your slippers and pipe first.

My sweet ride :)

2114371568_ff8847a75c.jpg

2114371780_9591e7b1de.jpg

Believe it or not, FSX beets the graphics hands down. Most of our flying is done at night not only for the extra challenge, but because the visuals aren't anything special.

My dad also has this in his basement. A 1969 Link Trainer. It still moves around, but the connection to the map plotter was severed and probably not reparable.

288901837_1b7830993e.jpg

288901744_f50884749a.jpg

The only thing FS is good for is using up my computer so I can't constantly check facebook while studying :)

I haven't done it in a while, I tried doing a NDB approach with the skyhawk but just didn't feel real, not to mention a lot harder in the sim.

so whats for those who Say/Think that because they´ve ¨¨correctly¨¨ flown an aircraft on the Sim (Microsoft Sim)... they can do the same in real life.......
I gotta be honest.. But for what I´ve seen around my place on the local flying club we have in Mexico... the newbies that show up for flying lessons end up not being newbies at all.. if you know what I mean..
They (talking about hard core simmers) really know what to do when It comes to the basics and even more of airplane flying/navigation.
Like somebody mentioned above, it all depends on the realism settings you choose for yourself and the Sim.. (talking about the Microsoft sim) There is truly lots of things that can be done and learned there..
In no way will I say that Pc flying will substitute real flight training..No way...or at least not yet...
That being said.... Knowing and seeing what a couple of guys have done in a plane with litterally 0 flight hours but Tons of Flight hours in VATSIM/IVAO and have taken all Their exams and stuff they have there online ... ............I could believe that a person like that could Land a plane or help in a situation in wich the Pilot in command could no longer carry out his dutties...
Im talking about Small-non Complex aircraft....
Saying you can land a 747¨in real life... Just cause you bought some fancy add on of it to your sim and ¨know how to handle it... Well..... Thats another story...
So What do you think......
I´ve seen this question pop-up in many forums with lost of interesting ideas about it.... So... Whats your answear?..

I think FS did help with basic things before getting my PPL.

HOWEVER,

I've heard a lot of people say it's the guys that come to the airport thinking they are sierra hotel after flying FS that are the worst; they think they know everything and you have to keep an eye on them.

Back