Can I still get hired?

sweber1987

When I was a senior in high school I made an ominous threat to shoot up the school, and had absolutely no intention of doing so; subsequently I was arrested and pled guilty to disorderly conduct and spent 4 days in jail. If I have this expunged (or not), can I still get hired by an airline or cargo company?

That's a toughie. If you were maybe a freshman or even sophomore, they would probably look at it a little different, but being a senior probably doesn't help your cause. I would get involved in as many clubs, organizations, charities as possible and get/keep your grades up. You're gonna have to over-compensate to show them who you really are.

I have no idea whether or not you have a chance, but doing the above won't hurt anything.

Just out of curiosity, why did you do such a thing?

I assume if you're a pilot then you are most likely of sound mind... so what would possess a senior in high school -- arguably an adult (within a year of being old enough to serve your country) to do such a thing??

Looking at your previous posts of being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and then having another Dr disagree with the diagnosis. Then having depression but no medication, and now this. Im not sure where you would have to disclose stuff like this, but if I was on a hiring board, I would say your a liability that my company wouldn't be willing to risk.

Especially when you have a huge pool of applicants to choose from. Good luck though.

Re: Can I get hired?

I am in no way a legit source, but from what I understand for the minimums for the ATP; this might be an infringment on the requirement "of good moral character."

If that is true, which hopefully it's not, then things will be tough. Someone with more experience will either back me up or shoot me down

I am in no way a legit source, but from what I understand for the minimums for the ATP; this might be an infringment on the requirement "of good moral character."
The "good moral character" clause has been challenged in court and cannot stand the test of law, I believe it is being removed.

However, back when I was filling out airline apps I seem to remember a question along the lines of: "Have you ever been convicted of making terrorist threats?" It seems to me that saying you'd shoot up your school would count. I wouldn't hire you, sorry.

The "good moral character" clause has been challenged in court and cannot stand the test of law, I believe it is being removed.

However, back when I was filling out airline apps I seem to remember a question along the lines of: "Have you ever been convicted of making terrorist threats?" It seems to me that saying you'd shoot up your school would count. I wouldn't hire you, sorry.

However, he wasn't convicted of making terrorist threats. He was, I'd assume, convicted on a disorderly conduct charge. That can stem from a wide variety of infractions.

So the box that asks "have you been convicted of making terrorist threats" does not have to be checked.

<Merged threads with this and the one from the Airline Pilots forum. PLEASE do not double post the same topic in multiple forums.>

However, he wasn't convicted of making terrorist threats. He was, I'd assume, convicted on a disorderly conduct charge. That can stem from a wide variety of infractions.

So the box that asks "have you been convicted of making terrorist threats" does not have to be checked.
Thats a dang fine catch!

Thats a dang fine catch!

Although if I were in his position I'd be as clean as a whistle in the eyes of the law from then on.... no traffic violations either. I also hope that the OP has worked out any of the reasons that he might have had to make such a statement in HS.

Good luck, keep you're head up, and try to take life less seriously when someone takes a pot shot at you. It's cool to be pissed (up to a degree) but not so cool to take it to threats. Wouldn't it have been much more satisfying anyways to beat the snot out of the person to get the suspension/jail time instead of "talking" about it? :D:sarcasm:

Nothing better than waking up in the morning and seeing this. Company could see this as a sign the you might do the same thing to them, if something goes wrong.

<Merged threads with this and the one from the Airline Pilots forum. PLEASE do not double post the same topic in multiple forums.>

I was wondering why the software belittled me for trying to merge a thread upon itself. Those cheeky British boneheads.

I was wondering why the software belittled me for trying to merge a thread upon itself. Those cheeky British boneheads.

Probably the same reason they have a Queen and a Prime Minister..........they don't quite understand the concept of redundancy.

Bollocks!

Back