Can I still get hired?

I would say you would not be able to pass the background check to obtain an airside pass.

You may get hired by an airline, only to be let go when your unable to obtain an airside pass.

The FBI is allowed to use inteligence not just convictions when they give their answer on an airside / restricted area pass.

Also you would be a headache to the airline as some destinations they serve (Canada) may find you inadmissable.

PW127F

Re: Can I get hired?

If they get it sealed. :)

You can petition for it to be sealed, and even then it is not a guarantee. Many people think that everything prior to your 18th birthday is automatically sealed. It's not. Many states you have to request for it to be. I know this is for the sake of airline hiring, but law enforcement can get to it no problem. A common misunderstanding is that people believe that once something is sealed/expunged it is gone forever. Couldn't be further from the truth. Remember, your name is on a file somewhere. :D

I am assuming you are still in your early 20s. I would say you will have problems in the short term. Your odds may become better as time passes. I do not mean a few years either. Think your 30s. And only if you keep your record very clean. Heck, I have a skeleton in my closet from 20 years ago that worries me. Things like that seem innocent when you do it, but now you know. Try saying you have a bomb on your carry-on and see what happens.

I have been convicted of 8 DUI's and have had my license suspended 5 times. I am a severe alcoholic with depression from which I self-medicated with uppers. I once hijacked an airplane and spent 25 years in a maximum security prison, however since I have been little it has been my dream to be a pilot. Can I get hired?

(This is a fictional story which in noway does it relate to a real life person that I have met or know...so Big Brother please don't come after me.)

Common guys...I am not bashing on depression or any other sickness because I know many who have it. However, I am bashing on people's judgement that even think they should be hired with some of their past issues. Would anyone be willing to put their family on an airplane which they knew had a flight crew member that faked a bomb in their carry-on? Someone who could be suicidally at any moment? Didn't a pilot commit suicide in a 737 in the Far-East if I remember right? Or what about depression? First off if you are fighting depression you need to worry about the problem at hand and not your possible flight career. That shows me how irrational some people may be. Their decision making process is no where near where it needs to be to fly commercially.

There are certain disabilities and issues that can be dealt with and a possible career can later happen. However if you commit an act so out of control as to threaten to blow up a school or airplane you have no business anywhere near a cockpit. I am sure many will agree with me.

I don't understand the industry in the US that well, but I find it hard to believe that an offense committed when you were young, would totally write off one's dreams and aspirations for the future. Even if it puts a gray cloud over possibilities in the majors, if flying is what you really want to do then I'm sure avenues will present themselves along the way if you commit yourself. If your attitude towards a flying career is one of "its gotta be a job in the majors or nothing", then I guess much more consideration needs to be made. But I would treat opinions on here (including this one) with a grain of salt. This site is a great source of information, but there are also a few 300 hour professors whom I would treat with caution.

I have been convicted of 8 DUI's and have had my license suspended 5 times. I am a severe alcoholic with depression from which I self-medicated with uppers. I once hijacked an airplane and spent 25 years in a maximum security prison, however since I have been little it has been my dream to be a pilot. Can I get hired?

(This is a fictional story which in noway does it relate to a real life person that I have met or know...so Big Brother please don't come after me.)

Common guys...I am not bashing on depression or any other sickness because I know many who have it. However, I am bashing on people's judgement that even think they should be hired with some of their past issues. Would anyone be willing to put their family on an airplane which they knew had a flight crew member that faked a bomb in their carry-on? Someone who could be suicidally at any moment? Didn't a pilot commit suicide in a 737 in the Far-East if I remember right? Or what about depression? First off if you are fighting depression you need to worry about the problem at hand and not your possible flight career. That shows me how irrational some people may be. Their decision making process is no where near where it needs to be to fly commercially.

There are certain disabilities and issues that can be dealt with and a possible career can later happen. However if you commit an act so out of control as to threaten to blow up a school or airplane you have no business anywhere near a cockpit. I am sure many will agree with me.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

I don't understand the industry in the US that well, but I find it hard to believe that an offense committed when you were young, would totally write off one's dreams and aspirations for the future. Even if it puts a gray cloud over possibilities in the majors, if flying is what you really want to do then I'm sure avenues will present themselves along the way if you commit yourself. If your attitude towards a flying career is one of "its gotta be a job in the majors or nothing", then I guess much more consideration needs to be made. But I would treat opinions on here (including this one) with a grain of salt. This site is a great source of information, but there are also a few 300 hour professors whom I would treat with caution.

Guess you don't have screwups in Australia..

Cmon, he was in High school.!!!!!!...

There's NO way he'll ever be spending time in a US Airline cockpit.

Sorry to be harsh, but would you like to have him as a captain if you were in the plane???

Guess you don't have screwups in Australia..

Cmon, he was in High school.!!!!!!...

There's NO way he'll ever be spending time in a US Airline cockpit.

Sorry to be harsh, but would you like to have him as a captain if you were in the plane???

As far as I'm concerned high school students are still just kids. I don't know this particular fella, but if he's made one screw up in the past and has kept a clean record since, there shouldn't be any reason why he can't pursue whatever he wants to pursue in life. It has been proven that many people who have had turbulent pasts have been able to reform themselves and even help others who are troubled by similar issues. Look at Barak Obama, I hear he got messed up with the wrong crowd and experimented with cocaine.

Perhaps pursuing a career in aviation could be an incentive to keep someone on the right side of the tracks. Whether an airline captain did something stupid when he was in high school would be the last thing I would worry about when boarding a flight. And even if a career in the majors has been dented by this incident, I'm sure there would be other flying options available. Jeez some of the things I've seen current airline captains get up to down here, we would have to bring in the firing squad.

The kid is also mentally ill, which in and of itself will keep you out of ANY cockpit in the states.

He doesn't stand a chance and should continue to seek medical help for his conditions.

Who didn't do something stupid when they were in high school.
Some got caught, some didn't.

Yeah, but not all of us did something as stupid as threatening to shoot up the school. On the list of stupid things to do in high school, that's pretty near the top. Sorry to the OP, but...yeah.

The kid is also mentally ill, which in and of itself will keep you out of ANY cockpit in the states.

He doesn't stand a chance and should continue to seek medical help for his conditions.

Yeah, but not all of us did something as stupid as threatening to shoot up the school. On the list of stupid things to do in high school, that's pretty near the top. Sorry to the OP, but...yeah.

:yeahthat: There are different levels to kids will be kids and this...A bit extreme here. Also getting oneself better should be the priority not worrying about getting a job flying.

A question of more immediate concern is "Can you get certified as a pilot?" You should be speaking to an aviation attorney and medical examiner about this, not posting questions here. Also, FAR 61.18 prohibits the FAA from issuing a certificate of any kind if the TSA deems the applicant a security risk.. I don't know how the TSA would find out about you, but if they did, I'm doubt you could even get a PPL certificate, let alone get CPL and a job somewhere. I'm not sure making an admission like that on an internet site was the smartest thing to do.

When I was a senior in high school I made an ominous threat to shoot up the school, and had absolutely no intention of doing so; subsequently I was arrested and pled guilty to disorderly conduct and spent 4 days in jail. If I have this expunged (or not), can I still get hired by an airline or cargo company?

Who didn't do something stupid when they were in high school.
Some got caught, some didn't.
I didn't. I shook my head a lot.
I think the above is more of an excuse to justify ones mistakes from the past by saying everyone was a #### up in high school.

Back