How are the restaurants in GF?

Italian Moon and Paradiso (which is not even spelled correctly in Spanish - paradise in Spanish is supposed to be Paraíso, not Paradiso) is a perfect example of how uncultured, unsophisticated the Grand Forks people are. As nice as they are, they really have a lot lacking in the area of worldliness.

So you're judging places based on how they spell the name of their restaurant?:rolleyes: Paradiso sounds like a restaurant and Paraíso just sounds corny....see below for more info.

id wager that a majority of ND'ans have not EVER travelled outside their state.

they are uncultured, and oblivious to the outside world.

First of all, stop whining about how the real food down in Texas is so much better. A restaurant doesn't want to spend a great amount of time making authentic food. The majority of people in the country would associate steak as a Texas/Western food, so that's what they make (and make it well).

I'm pretty sure that a majority of the state's residents have traveled outside of the state. I'd wager against you that a greater percentage of the Texas population has never left the state.

Sure, some people haven't left the state and have no desire to, but what's the problem with that? I've never really been east of the Mississippi River, and have no desire to go to the east coast, Europe, Mexico, or anywhere in Asia.

What about the yearly vacation to ooooooh, Minneapolis? That's a whowle deeiferent country donchyaknoooow! Duwah we need a peeeeassport to gooohwah theeere?

That'd be more of a convenience thing probably.....If you live close to a major city that has everything a family wants to do, what's the point of spending way more money to do the exact same stuff in another city?

So you're judging places based on how they spell the name of their restaurant?:rolleyes: Paradiso sounds like a restaurant and Paraíso just sounds corny....see below for more info.

First of all, stop whining about how the real food down in Texas is so much better. A restaurant doesn't want to spend a great amount of time making authentic food. The majority of people in the country would associate steak as a Texas/Western food, so that's what they make (and make it well).

I'm pretty sure that a majority of the state's residents have traveled outside of the state. I'd wager against you that a greater percentage of the Texas population has never left the state.

Sure, some people haven't left the state and have no desire to, but what's the problem with that? I've never really been east of the Mississippi River, and have no desire to go to the east coast, Europe, Mexico, or anywhere in Asia.

That'd be more of a convenience thing probably.....If you live close to a major city that has everything a family wants to do, what's the point of spending way more money to do the exact same stuff in another city?

a restaurant doesnt want to spend TIME making good food? then why the ####sake would i want to spend my MONEY going there to eat their food???

where i come from, restaurants and people in general take GREAT PRIDE in the food they cook for you, and want you to enjoy and appreciate it. they dont just slap a steak on the gas grill and say HERE YOU GO, YOU BOUGHT IT, EAT IT.

and if you only associate a steak with Texan food, then you have not been to Texas, and therefore have NO CREDENTIALS for telling me what Texan food is or isnt!

ill still take you up on the wager of ND'ans having not travelled outside the state. hell, i have met ND'ans who have never been on one of those gosh darned flying contraptions!!!

and whats the problem with not having travelled outside the state/country? well my friend, if you have not travelled, then you have absolutely zero right to tell ME what is good Mexican food, since you have not been to MEXICO... you have no right to tell me what is good MEDITERRENEAN FOOD, since you have never met anyone from that area of the world, etc etc ad nauseum. if you have never been to asia, met an asian person, or learned about their culture, then I can categorically reject your opinons of PANDA BUFFET as being GREAT CHINESE FOOD!!!

and whoever brought up mama marias... you know what, kudos to them for trying, the food really was pretty alright, but their business practices sucked, and that was their downfall.

If you're too broke to travel (yet you fly a plane?) there are some good places I spotted in Minneapolis, even Fargo (for those who probably take the ol' wagon). But overall Grand Forks fails the restaurant check.

Too many chains anyway. Depending on the chain and particular location, you are bound to spot great food.
Unfortunately, in Grand Forks the only non-chain, 'cultural' food that hits the market is Red Pepper, or oofda tacos. Anything else doesn't strive because frostbitten taste buds probably don't register better. I met people who definitely don't wander out of the tri-state area, and consider International travel only a trip to Canada/Mexico, heck even Texas since they probably can't place it on the map. Unfortunately the world is bigger than the marshland, or 'holy land'.

I agree with TXaviator, I have met people who haven't even been on a plane (perhaps you all should start doing them a favor if you truly love ND)

Either way it's this ignorance in certain people that gives ND this impression. It just takes that small effort to change and be a completely different person.

Food for thought:
I'll leave it to pictures for some to explore the smell, taste, and wonders of food through their computer screen:

turk+sofrasi.jpg

2422163697_d58d733d5c.jpg

2113668924_a363655b0b.jpg

2066235972_ae651bf04a.jpg

YUMMM, ok folks I'm off to eat!

Wow you guys are so cultured. Obviously better human beings than the rest of us who have never left the good ol USA/Mexico/Canada. We can only hope to strive to be as great and all wise as a guy from the republic of Texas who is enjoying the great life in super cultured Burlington, VT. HAHAHAHA you make me lagh. A guy from TX comes on here and starts spewing about people not leaving ND(thats the pot calling the kettle black). As far as traveling to Turkey to eat piece of bread that is flanked by rice and topped off with a big turd(reference your second picture up), well no thanks. You guys can keep your exotic foreign food. I will stick to my "Truckers Special" at the I-29 Cafe.

LOL, calling the kettle black? Sorry, I'll be sure to not check JC next month while I'm in MOROCCO. or SPAIN.

Dissing Burlington, VT? Been here? Didn't think so.

You know what, i hope everyone like you STAYS in north dakota so you dont contaminate the rest of the world.

Enjoy your truckstop.

Jeremy, Glad you are enjoying Vermont...I enjoyed growing up in a small New England town like Burlington.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion about what they like/dislike. I think the best way to look at it is through that person's eyes and imagine what their upbringing was like in comparison to your own. Sort of eliminates any negativity and makes you realize you might have it pretty good, or maybe not so much.

To answer the original question of the thread, if you're looking for a job at a restaurant in Grand Forks, you'll be fine. It has obviously been proven in this thread that some people really like some places, or despise them. Regardless of how much someone hates a place, there is someone that loves it, so I wouldn't be concerned about any of the places listed - from the server's point of view, you'll make good money.

Mister LEEEEESHUR, well while I understand that people come from different places, lets not forget I came from a backwoods southeast Texas town where they still have Klan rallies and don't allow black people to move into town.

Where you start is only your starting point, you can choose to be oblivious to the world or you can choose to see beyond the horizon.

If you're too broke to travel (yet you fly a plane?) there are some good places I spotted in Minneapolis, even Fargo (for those who probably take the ol' wagon). But overall Grand Forks fails the restaurant check.
I agree with TXaviator, I have met people who haven't even been on a plane (perhaps you all should start doing them a favor if you truly love ND)

Either way it's this ignorance in certain people that gives ND this impression. It just takes that small effort to change and be a completely different person.

I didn't see anyone in this thread say they were too broke to travel. I only said that I spend my time in the western states. Everywhere my family travels, we drive.

Since when did we all start looking down on people just because of where they were brought up or where they have traveled? Sure I know people that have never left the state, does that mean I am better than them and their opinions don't matter? Hell no. I can try to use my two trips to Europe to help them see that their is more to the world. I can use my trips to Mexico to convince them of new things. What I can't do is tell them that something that makes them happy is wrong. The point being, to each their own.

Wow you guys are so cultured. Obviously better human beings than the rest of us who have never left the good ol USA/Mexico/Canada. We can only hope to strive to be as great and all wise as a guy from the republic of Texas who is enjoying the great life in super cultured Burlington, VT. HAHAHAHA you make me lagh. A guy from TX comes on here and starts spewing about people not leaving ND(thats the pot calling the kettle black). As far as traveling to Turkey to eat piece of bread that is flanked by rice and topped off with a big turd(reference your second picture up), well no thanks. You guys can keep your exotic foreign food. I will stick to my "Truckers Special" at the I-29 Cafe.

:yup: You're just digging yourself down to what we're exactly trying to point out, bigrig.

Traveling too harsh? Drop out!

I didn't see anyone in this thread say they were too broke to travel. I only said that I spend my time in the western states. Everywhere my family travels, we drive.

Dj To Rule said:

If you have been looking for a place;
If you are broke;
If you are hungry...
Was rhetorical...and directed (for those).

Since when did we all start looking down on people just because of where they were brought up or where they have traveled? Sure I know people that have never left the state, does that mean I am better than them and their opinions don't matter? Hell no. I can try to use my two trips to Europe to help them see that their is more to the world. I can use my trips to Mexico to convince them of new things. What I can't do is tell them that something that makes them happy is wrong. The point being, to each their own.

I think it is actually very surprising how many people have never been outside of their regions. I know i used to hear this about North Dakotans all the time. Last year when i lived in Maryland it was surprising how many people have never been away from the east coast and it didn't seem like they cared that there was land on the other side of the Appalachians.

No, Stinger. Search for one of my old threads ranting about Paradiso. I have several of them.

Being Mexican I could only help but laugh at their interpretation of "authentic" Mexican food. To top it all off, it was overpriced.

That one time I went there I took two bites out of my food and got my money back. It was me and my roommate when we had just moved from California together. We knew something was wrong right away when the waiter asked "would yow like Green or Red gravy with your enchilada?" I about slapped that bitch for calling it gravy!!! My Mexican mother would have too.

Whoa! What a minute - Burlington, VT has some worldly people. It's like the "Portland, Oregon" of the east coast. Have you even been there? I basically live there with all the layovers we do there.

I think it is actually very surprising how many people have never been outside of their regions. I know i used to hear this about North Dakotans all the time. Last year when i lived in Maryland it was surprising how many people have never been away from the east coast and it didn't seem like they cared that there was land on the other side of the Appalachians.

I'm guessing you hung out with people from the Delmarva area? Like...Salisbury, MD... oh my lord, those people are cut off from the outside world!

We knew something was wrong right away when the waiter asked "would yow like Green or Red gravy with your enchilada?" I about slapped that bitch for calling it gravy!!! My Mexican mother would have too.

I'm sorry man, but that is SO damn funny.

P.S. Portland Rocks.

I really don't care about the North Dakotan's that have never been outside of the US. The same goes for North Dakotan's that don't know the difference between real and authentic Mexican, Italian, Mediterraneon, Japanese cuisine. What makes me mad is the individuals responsible for preparing these meals and passing them off as authentic. Last year, working with the head chef of Alerus center, they totally botched up the food for the Feast of Nation. For a convention center, that gets all the major events in Grand Forks you would think they would hire a chef that knows how to make something other than lefse and lutefisk. The meals were provided along with the exact recipes that can be adjusted for the amount of people expected to be served.

For those interested in what they are going to be presented with this year, here is a break down.

Appetizer:
Indian Vegatable Samosas
or
Greek Spanakopita

Soup:
Moroccan Harira

Salad:
Arabic Fattoush

Main Entree:
Arroz con Pollo

Main Vegetarian Entree:
Falafel

Desert:
Tiramisu

They are going to have a tasting for us pretty soon, so I am being optimistic that they won't mess things up too bad. Overall though, my experience in Grand Forks is that they are rarely anyone with the expertise to create anything other than popular midwestern regional dishes.

:yup: You're just digging yourself down to what we're exactly trying to point out, bigrig.

Traveling too harsh? Drop out!
Oh ok, your going to point out every typo that I make? Nice work Dj To Rule, you truly are the master of the english language. What exactly are you trying to point out? Drop out of what?

I'm guessing you hung out with people from the Delmarva area? Like...Salisbury, MD... oh my lord, those people are cut off from the outside world!
Gonna have to agree with Jace on this one. I lived out there for a while and they were an interesting breed.

LOL, calling the kettle black? Sorry, I'll be sure to not check JC next month while I'm in MOROCCO. or SPAIN.

Dissing Burlington, VT? Been here? Didn't think so.

You know what, i hope everyone like you STAYS in north dakota so you dont contaminate the rest of the world.

Enjoy your truckstop.
Wow world traveler. I think you may be the first person ever to go to Morocco or Spain. I was refering to most of the people that live in TX, not specifically you. Burlington, VT......been there, yes. I dont live in ND and I am not from there. Just went to school there.

What was the name of that steak house that was north of town out by the mill? They had really good food there too. I can't think of the name.

There might be a few typos here, can the guy in Turkey please proof read my post to make sure that nothing is spelled wrong?

Back