ATP Layoffs

Ok guys,

I have read all the comments about the "layoffs"....
Lets get a few things straight...
ATP has not laid anyone off, anywhere. Two people where fired, and they where both in stuart. One was the instructor who made the gear up landing, the other was because he was behind pace with his students.

The last thing ATP will do is lay people off, especially the instructors. The only way you loose your job here is if you dont do your job, its that simple.

I have been working at ATP for a while now, and I consider myself lucky to be there considering the fact that there are no jobs to be had anywhere right now.

Another thing, there is a difference between being fired, and being laid off. I think alot of you are mixing the two terms back and forth, and quite frankly are scarring the heck out of people for no good reason. Honestly everything I have read here sounds like something out of highschool, rumors about things for which people dont have all the facts...

As far as hiring more instructors go, they are holding standardization in Jan.

Also for those of you who are bashing ATP, I can tell you that last week when I went to Riddle's career fair, almost every single airline noticed me wearing my ATP uniform, and had nothing but good things to say about the instructors and students who leave ATP and go threw training with them.

So before you spread anymore rumors, get the facts and if you dont have them then you really should not be saying anything at all.

1CrazyPilot

Since you work for ATP you have access to the phone lists which lists the order instructors got hired in. Since the beginning of this month there are 20 less instructors on that list. Line guys got laid off in atlanta. So you mean to tell me 20 instructors got fired because of screw ups? My buddy who worked in Houston got laid off had a great training record and JimK said he didn't have enough money to pay him anymore, what do you call that?

I am not saying that ATP is a bad company and I am not bashing it just stating the facts. If you want to look at this IRS Form it determines whether the company has employees or contracters http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf .... Don't know how they are getting away with this but in our day and age lots of companies are getting away with lots of things.

Also if he works for ATP perhaps he could tell me how you get "Fired" as an independent contractor. Perhaps you can be told your services are no longer needed but being fired is something ATP cannot do either.

Like I said, you dont get laid off unless you have done something? Now I honestly have not looked at the phone list. I honestly dont have time for that I am flying. Those of you who do have the time to compare phonelists from month to month must have alot of time on your hands....

Also yes, we are contract, and technically the term "fired" does not exist... I will admit the term is used loosely and in not the right context. In etiher case it does not matter... All I can say is out of all the instructors at ATP I can safely say I probably have more time then most and I have been at the company for amost seven months, the comment that higer time instructors are being layed off is a myth.

In either case, Im glad I am flying, and I make the best of it. Also about the for mentioned ground crew...thats different then instructors. Oh and another thing, they have cut pay on saliery employees, not all, jsut some which again suggests that before they go and layoff instructors, they are trying to cut the fat.

Man that is a flat out lie. I have many friends that are instructors for ATP and they have seen people that have done nothing wrong get let go. Also for some reason all of them are all of the sudden worried about there jobs. They think that if they do one little thing wrong then they will be let go. I'm am glad I didn't end up going back to ATP to be an instructor. I know you work for ATP and just like some other ATP instructors on here won't say one word against the company. There is something weird going on when one of the instructors that was let go at LZU had 1.5 years with the company as an instructor. You can't tell me high time people haven't been let go.

I work for ATP and I am pissed at the fact that they gave us off Christmas with out pay. Merry Christmas you get a week off without pay! Also, I fear for my job everyday.

Like I said, you dont get laid off unless you have done something? Now I honestly have not looked at the phone list. I honestly dont have time for that I am flying. Those of you who do have the time to compare phonelists from month to month must have alot of time on your hands....

Also yes, we are contract, and technically the term "fired" does not exist... I will admit the term is used loosely and in not the right context. In etiher case it does not matter... All I can say is out of all the instructors at ATP I can safely say I probably have more time then most and I have been at the company for amost seven months, the comment that higer time instructors are being layed off is a myth.

In either case, Im glad I am flying, and I make the best of it. Also about the for mentioned ground crew...thats different then instructors. Oh and another thing, they have cut pay on saliery employees, not all, jsut some which again suggests that before they go and layoff instructors, they are trying to cut the fat.
The guy that geared up the Seminole from SUA had a lot more hours and more than double the time with the company than you. I heard the student raised it on him right before landing. Either way, it just sucks.
Well, I don't think working for ATP should make any difference if you are in fear of losing your job. No matter where you instruct right now, there are 10 people waiting to take your job if you screw up. ATP, Ari-ben, Flight Safety, small FBO, makes no difference! Shouldn't be long before flight instructor pay begins to be reduced.

Man that is a flat out lie. I have many friends that are instructors for ATP and they have seen people that have done nothing wrong get let go. Also for some reason all of them are all of the sudden worried about there jobs. They think that if they do one little thing wrong then they will be let go. I'm am glad I didn't end up going back to ATP to be an instructor. I know you work for ATP and just like some other ATP instructors on here won't say one word against the company. There is something weird going on when one of the instructors that was let go at LZU had 1.5 years with the company as an instructor. You can't tell me high time people haven't been let go.

DL, It is true that ATP is trying to find ways to cut costs just like everyone else in this economy. I instruct for ATP at LZU and I admit there are times when I am worried about my job. However, who isn't in times like these? As far as ATP letting instructors go for no reason that is complete BS. The instructor you say had a year and a half with the company was let go, however you don't know the whole story because you do not work for ATP. The instructor was let go because, 1. The instructor did not enjoy the job anymore and was doing an inadequate job because of this. 2. The instructor is tired of aviation in general and is looking for work outside of aviation. I know this instructor personally which is how I know this. I don't know why this thread was started in the first place because all that it does is create rumors and makes people worry even more about their jobs. I can't speak for every location that ATP has but I can without a doubt say that the only Instructor at ATP LZU that was let go was this one. There have also been three other instructors that found other jobs so they put there two weeks in.
As far as your comment about the line guys that is completely true and I really hate it for those guys because they all were really nice guys and I feel that the way the situation was handled concerning them was terrible.
Perhaps if some other instructors from ATP want to chime in and report about whats going on at their locations we can get a bigger picture of the situation as a whole.
And Matt ATP instructors are payed a monthly gurantee except for this year we get christmas with no pay

And Matt ATP instructors are payed a monthly gurantee except for this year we get christmas with no pay

Thus you are not PAID (that's how you spell it by the way) a salary if they are docking you for a Holiday. Salary positions typically have paid holidays. Wild concept I know. Not many of us salary employees get docked for holidays, rather we have them off and paid.

ChillBillpilot. I never once said that the one instructor that was let go was a great instructor. I'm never once said that she was happy with aviation. She was a very tenured instructor at the ATL locations. The reason people are talking about this is ATP is a very large flight school and it effects a lot of people on here. What happened to those line guys was crap, but that is business.

Also I agree with Meyers when it comes to the salary part. I worked for years as a salaried retail manager and was never docked any pay for any reason. If I worked 30hrs I got paid the same amount as if I worked 80hrs. I've never heard of a full time employee getting their pay docked for the holidays. Plus don't you have a signed contract between you as the independent contractor and ATP about how much you get paid a month?? It is by the month not the hour right??

By the way Chillbillpilot. Great post. It's the first time I've heard an ATP instructor come on here and give an honest opinion. Most of the time they say the all is great all the time stuff.

Meyers- dont start acting like you are the spelling bee champ. A small search of your posts with spell check would be pretty funny.

Times are tough. Students cant get student loans, which means there arent enough students to keep instructors busy- so they are let go/ fired/ furloughed/ laid off/ whatever you want to call it. I hate it for them. Some of them are great instructors. Some arent. There are 9 at Jax- not including "white shirts" and one white shirt disguised as a blue shirt. Furloughs/ Lay offs/ whatever are part of the professional pilot lifestyle. If it is too scarry- try accounting. If not, keep a good resume and a positive attitude. I will probably be next... but I am ready. ATP pays my "contractor" fee but I control my destiny.

:rawk:

ChillBillpilot. I never once said that the one instructor that was let go was a great instructor. I'm never once said that she was happy with aviation. She was a very tenured instructor at the ATL locations. The reason people are talking about this is ATP is a very large flight school and it effects a lot of people on here. What happened to those line guys was crap, but that is business.

Also I agree with Meyers when it comes to the salary part. I worked for years as a salaried retail manager and was never docked any pay for any reason. If I worked 30hrs I got paid the same amount as if I worked 80hrs. I've never heard of a full time employee getting their pay docked for the holidays. Plus don't you have a signed contract between you as the independent contractor and ATP about how much you get paid a month?? It is by the month not the hour right??

DL, We get paid by the month, the way ATP works this out is we get a guranteed monthly paycheck of 1800 plus whatever bonuses we are able to make. I don't see how we are not getting paid for christmas because you are right we did sign a contract where we agree to the set amount. However, I am sure there is some fine print somewhere in the agreement that lets the monthly gurantee change? I am glad that you did not take my post the wrong way as I am not trying to start a fight on here just trying to let people know whats going on in my location. However to my understanding we don't get paid salary only the ATP employees get paid salary, which technically I am not an ATP employee. But my friends that is another huge deal in and of itself!!!! With the way the times are right now and have been for awhile I do not feel comfortable or secure enough with my job to contest not getting paid for christmas or to contest whether or not I am a private contractor. The way I look at it is that I should just be thankful that I have a job right now. There are people lining out the door waiting to take my spot so I just try to keep my head down, work, then go home!

Wow, this has turned into the most ridiculous, unprofessional thread I have ever read.

ATP is a BUSINESS plain and simple, they are not a State University.

Everyone on this thread needs to get over themselves (at least most), you are part of a corporation, and if YOU AREN'T, why are you on here to determine whether someone is an employee or not?

Get a life.

Wow, this has turned into the most ridiculous, unprofessional thread I have ever read.

ATP is a BUSINESS plain and simple, they are not a State University.

Everyone on this thread needs to get over themselves (at least most), you are part of a corporation, and if YOU AREN'T, why are you on here to determine whether someone is an employee or not?

Get a life.

Calm down man.

^Sorry but people need to stop acting like 2 year olds.

I don't see how anybody has been acting like a 2 year old. I was just asking chillbillpilot what their contract states about their pay. I personally think it's crap that they are not being paid for christmas. Chillbillpilot and all of the other ATP instructors work there butts off 7 days a week, they deserve a paid christmas. Thats my opinion at least.

Meyers- dont start acting like you are the spelling bee champ. A small search of your posts with spell check would be pretty funny.

:rawk:

PAYED is one thing though. Even if you were typing fast and what not we would understand. It is always fun to point out. Let me do a search on your barely 40 post ;)!

Back