ATP Layoffs

I know this guy whos cousins brothers friend got cut just because he said he didn't like the color blue in ATPs insignia.

after going through that many people (a friend's cousin's brother's, friend) It wouldnt surprise me a bit you heard that lol

I know one instructor at bowling green got laid off. He was told not to show up the next day. When he asked why he wasn't given any notice they told him " so that he wouldn't spend any time at work looking for a new job". Ouch....

ATP is still getting the instructors ready for what its gonna be like at the regionals I see.

I know this guy whos cousins brothers friend got cut just because he said he didn't like the color blue in ATPs insignia.

off topic but...
Is that avatar a sign from the Hard Eight BBQ place in Stephenville? If so it must be new ... I hope my golf cart escapades didn't cause them to erect it!

Yeh they purchased two new carts and put those big signs right on the windscreens. I got the old one stuck in the mud and had to leave it one time. There was no goofing off either. The field was muddy and we did not make it through. Regardless, they probably thought we were messing around.

Dear Stan (Jfk-Pilot);

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and forums are a very good outlet for that. I would respectively request that you change the -Stan at the bottom of you posts to your full name (last too), or your screen name. I am affiliated with ATP, and have the same first name. I would like to alleviate any confusion as to whom is posting.

Thank You For Your Help In This Matter!

Stanley E. Swank II (swanley007)

Dear Stan (Jfk-Pilot);

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and forums are a very good outlet for that. I would respectively request that you change the -Stan at the bottom of you posts to your full name (last too), or your screen name. I am affiliated with ATP, and have the same first name. I would like to alleviate any confusion as to whom is posting.

Thank You For Your Help In This Matter!

Stanley E. Swank II (swanley007)

Hmm... so wait a second, what was the point of you sending me a private message saying the same exact thing?

He's trying to say that since ATP may be known for taking punitive action against those who have criticized them publicly he would prefer not to be mistaken for someone who posted something that could be construed as criticism.

Everyone;

I want to clear up any misunderstandings before this goes any further. I asked jfk-pilot to do this (read above), because I too use this forum. I am not afraid of losing my job, or ATP taking any action towards me. I simply had a fellow co-worker ask if that (jfk-pilot) was my screen name on jetcareers. I informed him that it was not, and simply wanted to ensure that there was no confusion in the future by ATP, co-workers, family, or anyone else (as I am swanley007). Please do not use this as an indication that I am in fear for my job, or that I feel threatened by ATP in any way. In fact, my time with ATP as a student and employee have been very rewarding. I do not want this to start a debate, but it IS how I feel.
Again, thank you all for your understanding in this matter.

No, different instructor was layed off at Stuart. As far as the gear up incident the gear was down during all checks, tower verified it was down, student put it up somewhere around flare, gear horn wasn't working
I know the instructor that happened to, It just sucks period.

So if they are ICs, i assume they dont collect unemployment, correct?

haha! i know for sure if I'd collect unemployment if i got laid off there. There is NO way ATP instructors are NOT employees.

Here is why.....
1.) You are told, when, where, how, and with who to work.
2.) Your schedule is governed by more than 75%, NOT by yourself.
3.) You are provided a workplace, and work tools.

Go look up what an Independent Contractor is according to the IRS, and it is NOT what ATP instructors do.

haha! i know for sure if I'd collect unemployment if i got laid off there. There is NO way ATP instructors are NOT employees.

Here is why.....

Go look up what an Independent Contractor is according to the IRS, and it is NOT what ATP instructors do.
That happens to tons of flight instructors. If enough people make a fuss over it something might change, but given the number of unemployed instructors right now waiting to take their jobs I doubt the school would listen.

Here is why.....

Speak for yourself

1) I was given students. I made up the schedule for them, when to meet, where (always somewhere at GKY), how long and what we were going over
2) My schedule was set by me. I made the schedule for my students and myself. I had a few weekend days off and many nights...as did my students. I was 17/20 first time pass rate. I made sure my students had as little stress as possible by being as prepared as possible
3. This is true, but I did buy a lot of stuff on my own to help myself and students. Best $4.99 I ever spent was on a Staples 'Easy Button'. No matter what happens hit that damn button.

I would like to be considered an independent contractor for tax purposes, but if I lose my job I would like to be considered an employee and collect unemployment. How can I do this? :sarcasm:

It is beyond ridiculous to act like the IRS does not know about the work situation and has signed off on it. To have a company that big with that much business cant just skate away. Besides, without a doubt, in just the year I have been a forum reader I have seen several of the complainers threaten to tell the IRS. If there have been that many in that short amount of time, I am positive someone has called the IRS on "Big Flight Training."

Moreover, if you had an idea that you built into a successful business would you risk it on a scheme? I wouldnt it. If you dont work there, you dont know. If you work there and dont like it, why not just leave?

I wouldnt put it like Eclipse did, but do we honestly think that us low time flight instructors figured it out when the IRS, ATP Lawyers and ATP Admin didnt?

Unfortunately I need to agree with Eclipse on one thing- Nah, I wouldnt risk my business.:rawk:

"" In the case of Mr. Pee-On 'low time' Instructor VS Spend BIG MONEY ATP, we the IRS rule in the favor of... _____________________""

There's no doubt that ATP has found a way around this subject matter. but then again, who has really been an instructor for them and has had the financial means/ determination to even try.

Back