Youtuber Fatal Crash

She rides the autopilot in total confusion until the plane actually does stall. She was devoting 100% of her attention to wondering why the airspeed was decaying and didn't even think to look at the manifold pressure, she stalled the airplane and then kicked the autopilot off. After all that, she STILL didn't fix the problem and climbed the aircraft, she simply resigned to the idea and descended.

I will be dead honest, I don't think I have ever seen such inability from a 400 hour pilot, ever. It is easy to blame the current CFI in videos, but how long was that her CFI? Was that her primary CFI from the beginning? How did she even get a license flying like that? I get a Bonanza is quicker and more complex but to be so behind that thing, is astonishing.

Not sure why red-haired SWA lady is being thrown into this conversation, considering those are professional marketing videos produced by the airline. Big Ern is doing the exact same thing and its been an incredible boost to his career, and yet he’s not catching any strays here…I wonder why that could be….
So I was the one who brought her up, and in doing so I stopped and asked myself … is her gender affecting my evaluation here? I took some time and even addressed it there because I wanted to stop myself if that was the case. That’s why I actually applaud you considering it.

I’ve seen United hair guy and had a similar feeling. Have seen Big Earn too - who struck me more as wanting to help people looking into the career. So I guess for me it’s a sliding scale of how much narcissism seems to be driving it. The more polished the performance, the more narcissistic and less professional it comes off to me. Felt the same about Swayne, except in his case it seemed far worse as there didn’t seem to be any external value, and he was a regional FO asserting himself as a subject matter expert, while at the STFU and listen part of his career.

"This is a day in the life of a…"

No, it's not.

Along these same lines. Have any of you guys flying for the airlines ever had to check someone else in the cockpit because they were a little focused on being a social media celebrity?

I have a feeling this particular video is going to be of special importance to the investigation given the difficulty she's having with the A/P:

View: https://youtu.be/31C8ST0CwrU?si=aiX7ompXMZbgdpQC

Do you guys find it a touch morbid to Monday-Morning-Quarterback another pilot's mistakes?

The quality of Monday morning quarterbacking on this forum is actually quite good.

First, we understand we are speculating based on limited information and are open to modify our speculation as more information is revealed.

Second, most of us are pretty respectful when addressing accidents with casualties.

Third, even when we are wrong, interesting and beneficial conversations result.

Fourth, few of us are awestruck by the NTSB. They usually get the basic facts correct but everything else often falls short. Many folks on here have an intimate knowledge of the carriers and crews involved in accidents, the NTSB does not.

Fifth, it’s natural to comment on news.

Sixth, is it morbid? I don’t think so. Talking about life and death is natural byproduct of living in society. I haven’t seen anybody on here wanting to see the bloody aftermath - that would be morbid. It would be morbid to focus on death, most of us are engaged in conversations about what makes planes crash.

Last edited:
Do you guys find it a touch morbid to Monday-Morning-Quarterback another pilot's mistakes?

I aggressively refuse to speculate about accidents/incidents, and it drives my SO absolutely bonkers.

Her: "I KNOW you refuse to speculate, but what happened with XYZ?"

Me: "Dunno. Waddun't there."

Her: "Well, if you had to guess?"

Me: "Good thing is I don't have to guess. Pass the 'taters"

I aggressively refuse to speculate about accidents/incidents, and it drives my SO absolutely bonkers.

Her: "I KNOW you refuse to speculate, but what happened with XYZ?"

Me: "Dunno. Waddun't there."

Her: "Well, if you had to guess?"

Me: "Good thing is I don't have to guess. Pass the 'taters"

I hope you avoid all banal conversations, period.

Pilots talking to pilots is another matter, entirely. Heck, talking to somebody that has the time and interest to listen can be rewarding.

I think that we all do a pretty good job prefacing conversations with all the caveats required.

Pilots talking to pilots is another matter, entirely. Heck, talking to somebody that has the time and interest to listen can be rewarding.

I think that we all do a pretty good job prefacing conversations with all the caveats required.

Just understand the viewers of your commentary are not limited to just fellow pilots.

I would have the exact same conversation with a fellow pilot.

If I wasn't there, I don't know nuffin'. If I was there, I wouldn't be talking to you about it anyway.

Hate to be that guy,but do yall think that CFI would have been as “invested” if she was just an average country bumpkin trying to get her ticket? “I used to instruct that hot blonde from YouTube” sounds a lot better to your new regional bros than “yeah I instructed Marge from TYS,she’s got a channel on YT but she doesn’t have the rizz”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She rides the autopilot in total confusion until the plane actually does stall. She was devoting 100% of her attention to wondering why the airspeed was decaying and didn't even think to look at the manifold pressure, she stalled the airplane and then kicked the autopilot off. After all that, she STILL didn't fix the problem and climbed the aircraft, she simply resigned to the idea and descended.

I will be dead honest, I don't think I have ever seen such inability from a 400 hour pilot, ever. It is easy to blame the current CFI in videos, but how long was that her CFI? Was that her primary CFI from the beginning? How did she even get a license flying like that? I get a Bonanza is quicker and more complex but to be so behind that thing, is astonishing.

…which is why I’ve never agreed with the saying ‘you can teach a monkey to fly.’

Nah. You still need to have some actual ability. And usually, it’s natural. You either have it or you don’t. The likes of Colgan CA and the Atlas FO didn’t have it.

Along these same lines. Have any of you guys flying for the airlines ever had to check someone else in the cockpit because they were a little focused on being a social media celebrity?

I have a feeling this particular video is going to be of special importance to the investigation given the difficulty she's having with the A/P:

I find that flight instructor to be completely annoying, and ineffective.

I really tried to lean into YT and IG content creation as it would really help my side hustle business, and I like the idea of people sharing what they do. But when you are a creator first, and a pilot second, it seems like it never ends well. I really lke the people that do their thing and simply film it. Too many pilots try to curate and make these out-of-context, fake videos and it comes off with such a lack of sincerity and aren't genuine at all.

I feel bad that two people lost their lives, and if I had seen these videos before she died I would swear that this was fake drama made up for clicks but sadly I think her inability to really fly an airplane, was real...

I think the difference for me is “look at the awesome things I get to do/see” vs “look at me doing these things.

I know it’s cool to hate what we do, but we really do get to see and do some badass things. I know I love to share it with others because I know it was a good source of motivation for me as I was working to get where I am.

But then the feed is 99% selfies or videos of someone going way too hard in the gym at the Doubletree, that’s just someone who wants attention.

This is a major societal issue...

Ideally this is why I try (and fail like everyone else) to make my online persona more or less similar to me. I think a great deal of the anxiety we see in younger folks these days is because they are unable to see the difference.

At least the NTSB will have a narrated play-by-play to watch.

Yup. I think it’s sad when someone has to be a different person on the internet. I make the same wiener jokes in person as I do on here.

I've flown with or been near at least two who I had no idea were influencer types until someone told me later because I never encountered them taking pictures or anything. Both time super professional with good attitudes, so I'm guessing the problem isn't at ubiquitous as a few problem children on the internet would lead you to believe.

I've flown with or been near at least two who I had no idea were influencer types until someone told me later because I never encountered them taking pictures or anything. Both time super professional with good attitudes, so I'm guessing the problem isn't at ubiquitous as a few problem children on the internet would lead you to believe.

Same. Flew with the 74Gear guy and wasn’t looking forward to it at all. His videos are a bit clickbaity for me and GENERALLY the people who need attention aren’t my cup of tea. He was extremely professional, pleasant, and didn’t bring up the channel until one of the ground ops people did.

Same. Flew with the 74Gear guy and wasn’t looking forward to it at all. His videos are a bit clickbaity for me and GENERALLY the people who need attention aren’t my cup of tea. He was extremely professional, pleasant, and didn’t bring up the channel until one of the ground ops people did.

Looks like he has Captains bars in his latest video.
Had not noticed that earlier, but just looked to see what was new, after seeing your post

Back