You're the FO: Captain and Noise Abatement

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
You\'re the FO: Captain and Noise Abatement

You're the first officer on a jet departing Santa Ana/Orange County/John Wayne (who's idea was it to keep tacking on names?!) with a freakish noise abatement procedure.

You're cleared for takeoff and the captain completely disregards the noise abatement procedure.

What do you do/say, if anything?

Re: You\'re the FO: Captain and Noise Abatement

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do/say, if anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hey, nice takeoff, Capt!" "I wanna be just like you!".
grin.gif

Did I miss something?
confused.gif
smirk.gif

Psst! I know! Shh!

It matters who the captain is...

grumpy old man - use the sense God gave me and shut up

nice guy, left his ego at the door - discuss it in a nonoffensive tone...maybe he just overlooked the procedure or was just not clear with the instructions

"Ooh ahah, just gave an early wake up call to the Smiths"

Probably just remind him of its existence, if that. If he's already disregarded it, no sense in making an issue of it- get on with the flight.

[ QUOTE ]
Probably just remind him of its existence. If he's already disregarded it, no sense in making an issue of it- get on with the flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif

I haven't the slightest idea an airline's procedure's in this event, so that's what I'd do.

On the other hand....

Holler bloody murder!!!!!!....

Just movin' on up the seniority list
cool.gif

Is that kind of like not sending a captain a get well soon card?
grin.gif

'Just movin' on up the seniority list'

As doug has always said (I think..) repremands come in two!
blush.gif

Edit: Not sure if that applies, just sounded good
grin.gif

I'd say, "Umm, I believe the noise abatement procedures are in effect. Are we supposed to be using the procedure?"

Either he/she will say "oh oops, good catch" or "nope." If it's the latter, I would continue assisting with the NPF duties so as not to get into an argument in such a critical phase of flight (we might be loud but are we going to crash? No.). Then at a later time I would bring up the fact I was concerned about the repricussions from disregarding the procedure.

Remember CUS words: "I'm concerned with what is happening at the moment." No response? "I'm uncomfortable with what is happening at the moment." No response still? "I believe this is a safety issue and needs to be corrected immediately."

However in this situation, it is a noise abatement requirement, not a DP avoiding mountains. If it were the latter, there would be more interest in ensuring proper following of the procedure. Like I said, if the flight is still being operating safely (although not following the procedure), it might cause more harm than good to start a major discussion about why the captain did not fly the procedure properly.

BTW if this response makes no grammatical sense, sorry I'm exhausted!
shocked.gif

I'd say "good for you man, the airport was here first - let the city council deal with the folks who bought there"..

well, no might not be right answer - but i sure like it! hahaha
grin.gif

I would just mention it too him "Do you know about the noise abatement procedure here?" that would probably fix that pretty quick.

I'm with Kristie, they chose to live near the airport. But I guess their sh** don't stink either. Don't say anything to the captain and tell the snobs to move if they don't like it.
grin.gif

Seriously though, the captain probably just overlooked the procedures, so I would politely remind him/her.

Um unless the aircraft was in any danger I wouldn't say anything, it's 'his' aircraft and if he messes up he's going to get the ass kicking for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Um unless the aircraft was in any danger I wouldn't say anything, it's 'his' aircraft and if he messes up he's going to get the ass kicking for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll play devils advocate here....Suppose the Captain decides to have a drink while flying? The aircraft would probably not be in danger, but would you let that slide as well?

Also, what if you are unlucky and fly with a few captains that decide to break the Noise Abatement procs. I would think that the powers that be would see who was the first officer and then wonder why didn't he/she speak up?

I don't think I would question the captain right away, but I would question him for my own knowledge once in level cruise flight.

First off, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in the eyes of the FAA noise abatment procedures are purely voluntary.

If this is true then it comes down to what the company's policy is on them.

If the company sides with the FAA, then I keep my mouth shut. I'm with Kristie, the airport was here first.

If the company says (and it appears that they do) noise abatment procs are to be followed to the letter, then I'll probably just mention that hey you know you missed that procedure there? But that would be it, and I wouldn't press the issue with him. Maybe he just forgot. Maybe he didn't care. If he forgot, well then next time I may mention that there is a noise abatment procedure in effect before takeoff, just to be helpful. Hell, I'd probably do that even if he didn't care to fly it. At least I can say I reminded him of the procedure.

Reprimands may come in two's, but the procedure was already busted. It's not like you can wrestle the controls away from him and do it right. You're screwed already.

You're already off the ground and the procedure has already been missed. At least I'm on record reminding him of the procedure.

That's what I'd do...from the safety of my computer screen.

Naunga

It all goes back to the pre take off briefing, was the Noise Abatement procedure briefed and briefed back? If it was and that is what you were expecting the Cpt. to do and he didn't there is a larger issue of crew resource management or pilot performance issues that needs to be adressed, that is more of a safety issue than the noise abatement is. If it wasn't briefed then I would post flight critique that WE missed it and will include such procedures in future pre take off briefings.
My situation stated on another thread was the latter, never briefed, we were in the go home mode.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Violations and all-expenses-paid trips to the chief pilot's office are issued in pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
First off, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in the eyes of the FAA noise abatment procedures are purely voluntary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat, however, airlines get charged hefty fees for setting-off the noise monitors. If your flight exceeded the maximum decibel level and you don't have a valid excuse for not following the procedure things could get very interesting.

Back