You're the FO: Captain and Noise Abatement

Re: You\'re the FO: Captain and Noise Abatement

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in the eyes of the FAA noise abatment procedures are purely voluntary

[/ QUOTE ]

yah they are voluntary, BUT you CAN still get fined for it! So what woudl you chose? Adhere to the request or get fined?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't worry too much about noise abatement. If in my normal ops I can comply, I'll do my best to. If it's unnecessary or out-of-the-way a$$ pain, then I'll still do my somewhat-best to comply. If it's REALLY out of the way, and ATC queries me, I'll waive it.

BL is, regardless of the noise abatement procedure, it's never good enough. Reference Scottsdale Airport.

[ QUOTE ]
"Hey Capt, thanks for not doing the Noise Abatement Procedure, we would've hit those birds!"

Always CYA when the cockpit voice recorder is running

[/ QUOTE ]
This one get's my vote.

And for a little bit of insurance. The Captain's response: Those weren't just birds. Those were spotted owls.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It all goes back to the pre take off briefing, was the Noise Abatement procedure briefed and briefed back? If it was and that is what you were expecting the Cpt. to do and he didn't there is a larger issue of crew resource management or pilot performance issues that needs to be adressed, that is more of a safety issue than the noise abatement is. If it wasn't briefed then I would post flight critique that WE missed it and will include such procedures in future pre take off briefings.
My situation stated on another thread was the latter, never briefed, we were in the go home mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the above, I would have briefed the procedure and if it was not followed, will wait until in cruise to ask the Captain why it wasn't followed.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys... unless I'm missing something CVRs only record for 30 minutes and then they record over the old stuff.

Most flights are over 30 minutes long. Even if the t/o brief was given, they couldn't tell what was said because it would have been recorded over.

[/ QUOTE ]

At my company we have irregularity reports if there is an issue so the CVR isn't really needed. If such an incident occured, fill out an irregularity report and state that the noise abatement procedure was discussed prior to departure and it was expected. The captain failed to follow the procedure, but you did not correct him/her on it at the time as it was a critical phase of flight and it did not affect safety. That way when the company gets a nasty letter and fine about busting the noise limits, your side of the story is already on file with the chief pilot when it comes time for the carpet dance.

Back