Your idea of the perfect broker

Would you rather receive a cold-call or an introduction email?

• Cold-Call

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Introduction Email

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

Kai

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking a moment to read my post.

Being rather new to the wonderful world of aviation, I wanted ask you all your thoughts concerning brokers?

Being prior-service and growing up around aviation, I eagerly sought to find my fit within the industry and it came in the form of sales and acquisitions. I have been blessed to be able to meet with some incredible flight departments and I am in awe of the work these men and women do.

My question is, how do you (Director of Aviation, Pilot, Maintenance, Owner, Operator, etc.) wish to be approached? My goal is to provide the best service to those who are at the forefront of the aircraft and I hope to gather your insight in order to better myself and best assist those I come in contact with.

Any input is greatly appreciated and I greatly respect this forums members and the community that you all built. This forum led me to my current position and for that, I am incredibly thankful.

Best Wishes!

Email
That I might glance over and might remember seeing and having in my inbox somewhere should I have a reason to contact you for something
Phone calls tend to come at inopportune moment, generally awkward and are a waste of time 98.7% of the time

Reactions: Kai
What are you brokering? Charter sales, real estate, cattle?

Charter brokers are not exactly well liked in the industry yet a necessary evil. They'll promise the world to the clients yet never follow through or fully understand what they're saying. A 560XL with 6 passengers and luggage non-stop from Aspen to Hawaii? A broker will say it is possible. Brokers should never have a reason to contact the DO, aircraft owner or DOM.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

Thank you all for the input and I do understand that there are, shall we say, mixed feelings regarding brokers. Also, I am in business jet sales and acquisitions, just to clarify. If there is anything else that comes to mind when asked how you would like to be approached by someone wishing to assist in the sale of your organizations aircraft, or when the time comes to acquire another, please do post your thoughts.

Thank you so much.

If you cold call me, you'll get hung up on if I even bother to answer the phone.

I might look at the email, depending on the subject line, if it doesn't look spammy, or virussy.

Given the level of snark and negativity, let me propose a re-phrasing of the question:

For those of you who have to engage broker services for buying and selling airplanes, how do you make your selection and what, in your opinion, makes for a reputable broker vs one you do not wish to engage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm just waiting for one of the long time corporate guys to say "a dead one"

Need to develop an iPhone game to launch at NBAA next year. In the past two minutes I came up with a name and the general concept - "Whack a broker". Cool feature - score multipliers that go into effect if your location changes by more then 400nm and then shows you sitting at an FBO for over 3 hrs

By the way - in terms of sales and relationships - cold calls and intro emails are two of the worst methods of getting to new clients, in my opinion. (20+ years in sales engineering here.)

People buy from people. Networking. Relationships. Referrals. Referrals. Referrals.

Did I mention referrals?

By the way - in terms of sales and relationships - cold calls and intro emails are two of the worst methods of getting to new clients, in my opinion. (20+ years in sales engineering here.)

People buy from people. Networking. Relationships. Referrals. Referrals. Referrals.

Did I mention referrals?
As someone who has been in a position of spending a LOT of the bosses' money re last few years, I can't agree with this enough.

What are you brokering? Charter sales, real estate, cattle?

Charter brokers are not exactly well liked in the industry yet a necessary evil. They'll promise the world to the clients yet never follow through or fully understand what they're saying. A 560XL with 6 passengers and luggage non-stop from Aspen to Hawaii? A broker will say it is possible. Brokers should never have a reason to contact the DO, aircraft owner or DOM.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

How does something like this pan out when a broker says a plane can do something it can’t?

How does something like this pan out when a broker says a plane can do something it can’t?
Hopefully the customer doesn't use that broker anymore. It seems like the charter world attracts criminals and dumb people trying to achieve a "Jet Set Lifestyle". Lots of worn out ladies, shady characters and inexperienced people work at almost every 135 you might look at. I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

Sales is a weird animal @Kai and customers weirder. There's a reason cold calls are commonplace, the truth is customers don't say what they want and big shots who want to buy are often steeped enough in the sales world they appreciate the hard work of a cold call.

With all that said. Never. call.me.

shots who want to buy are often steeped enough in the sales world they appreciate the hard work of a cold call.

These are bluebirds. Unicorns. So rare as to be irrelevant to any sales professional working a comp plan against a quota number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With all the jobs technology has made obsolete over the last few years, especially in the transportation/travel industry, the charter broker somehow continues to thrive

It seems to me like the OP is desiring to be an aircraft sales agent/broker vice a charter broker.

I'll tell ya... having someone answer the phone calls and show an aircraft can be really valuable.

Back