Your Best Moments

For me honestly the ones where I had incredible feeling were the following:

- First solo and taxiing right up close behind an American Eagle ERJ in my little Cessna. I remember I annoyed tower because they kept getting cleared for the option when I needed a clearance to land. (Our school requires full stop taxi backs.) I learned later what cleared for the option meant....

- When I passed my private checkride.

- After getting my PPL, a few days later I got checked out in an Archer and found out what's it like to fly in shorts in a t-shirt exploring with no CFIs or strict flight schools to be found. A friend and I took the Archer on a cross country GTU-BMQ-AQO, got BBQ then went over Lake Travis before doing a touch n go on a 12,000' runway at AUS right behind a JetBlue ERJ-190. My first time at a big airport put a huge smile on my face. Then flew over downtown Austin then up over my parents house and back to GTU. One of the most memorable flights I've done so far!

- Pattern work on a grass strip in the Citabria during my tail wheel training.

- Passing my instrument rating and then using it to fly a 172 from Ohio to Texas only 2 weeks later.

- All my commercial multi time building trips. Including one flying into DAL at sunset.

- Intentionally flying an airplane upside down.

- Passing my MEI checkride, four days later my SEI addon, then 3 days later my CFII.

- Some of my students first solos.

- All my students passing checkrides.

- When students tell me how much they appreciate everything I taught them or for not giving up on them when they struggled with their training.

- My XC time is little right now, but XCs between 250 and 1000 miles with all kinds of weather are very memorable to me.

I have many more moments, but those are moments that defined my training and a bulk of my time as a CFI.

My first airplane ride....

My first Solo

My Long XC to earn Comm ticket (years later) since I choose to fly back to the airport i earned my Inst rating, and on that day, I randomly saw my Instrument Instructor after so many years. Almost teared up seeing the old guy (career instructor).

First solo? Eh, I honestly don't remember it. I do, however, remember going NORDO on the day I got my PPL on final at PVD, forcing a Boeing to go around. Probably burned more in gas than that POS 152 was worth.

First check I cashed from teaching? Yes. Students that pay in cash? I remember you all.

Gulley wrestling on the sidewalks of Manhattan - while the kid may have your back, it won't be much help in a fight.

@Gonzo picking up a bar tab.

All the really good stories will have to wait for a cold beer and being out of earshot from the Feds, sadly.

Back