Your Best Moments

But if I had to indulge it would be the time I started flying survey. Faxing then asking area controllers at NY PHL and BWI to shoot lines at 1000ft. I don't think I had much time to look at city skylines. All in all survey has treated me well in aviation. No regrets and I keep climbin the ladder. There's nothing like the feeling of a ferry flight home after a long hard day of 8hrs or 4 months straight of survey flying! The trip back home to Philly from Anchorage in the Navajo was monumental.

1.) Being one of a very few people who can say they've piloted a blimp.

2.) Not having to fly blimps anymore (or ever, for that matter).

3.) First solo.

First flight ever(Out of Republic in Farmingdale, on LI)
First solo
First time I let a student solo
First 121 flight(CVG-ORD), thunderstorms, holding and MX issue on my IOE ride
First landing into St. Marten
First time meeting @Derg in JFK and forgetting to mention my real name(No crap I introduced myself as Soul Brotha' from JC).
No problem in that. That's how I met Doug for the first time in ATL back in 2004...well at least I did give him my real name, before hopping on a plane to PHX for New Years at the Taylor Casa!

First solo (of course) - always #1
Passing PPL checkride. Examiner knows the CFI and that he has a 100% first time pass rate. So examiner tells me go in sad and tell him you failed. We played the joke, and the CFI actually took it well.
First IOE flight on a regional. Suppose to be DTW-MCI-MSP-RIC but ended up cancelling the MCI portion and just fly empty DTW-MSP.
First IOE flight on the A320... SFO to JFK.
Last landing of every trip going home to the wife and baby.... this is the new #1.

No problem in that. That's how I met Doug for the first time in ATL back in 2004...well at least I did give him my real name, before hopping on a plane to PHX for New Years at the Taylor Casa!

Oh yeah! I think that was the same morning I happened upon the Comair marketing guy who was talking smack about me during presentations! Ha!

First Solo and All checkrides of course. (Especially my CFI ride)

Getting back from a flight and seeing one of my students who was up solo, hit a fuel truck taxing into the ramp.

Times with life-long friends as a direct result of aviation.

Some random memories

Almost crashing in mammoth due to extreme xwinds

Almost died with @jtrain in a near miss

Watching American bounce a 757 off a snow bank and sliding off the end of runway in JAC

Iced up so fast I lost 5000ft and used the WX radar to paint the canyons around JAC and found my way to IDA

First night solo x-country

Flying over the Grand Canyon in a 172RG at night thinking my engine was making funny sounds

Departing JAC and having the 1900 cabin fill with smoke

Flying the super cub

before hopping on a plane to PHX for New Years at the Taylor Casa!

That's where I first met you... I couldn't remember. That's also the first time I actually met Doug, Kristie and MikeD. Good party.

My list could go on forever, but a quick rewind through the last 10 years...

First lesson... my instructor went through the entire PTS and then demonstrated spins. I just remember the snow covered West Virginia hills rotating upside down in the windshield.

First solo... The plane was SO light with only me in it.

First flight with just my flight partner at ATP. I think we went SUA-FLL and I remember looking down at I95 through the clouds while listening the the ATIS at FLL, and thinking... oh crap, it's 2 miles and 300 overcast and both of us still have wet in instrument ratings.

Fly with my first student in a Cessna from CRG down to Marathon as he was doing some time building before starting the ATP fasttrack program. We weren't supposed to be flying the 172s at night but it was pitch black and raining by the time we got back to Craig and he said he wasn't comfortable shooting the approach and I realized I now had (in some people's eyes) "experience".

First flight out of Willie doing my orientation when I started out there (still with ATP). For an east coast flat lander, the mountains looked SO high, and I wasn't sure we would clear them flying over the top.

Getting my first icing somewhere near Blythe and being unable to maintain altitude. Topped shortly thereafter by getting carb ice (in a Seminole, which kind of never happens) somewhere between Tuba City and Grand Canyon, at night and hearing ATC say "radar contact lost... Grand Canyon airport is 12 oclock and 30 miles... good luck" as we drifted down through 8000 feet.

First for real ILS in crappy weather to a snow covered runway in the CRJ (into Akron) with an old crusty captain (Rocky for any Bluestreakers reading along). The guy flew the jet like it was a JBall but somehow managed to get it on the runaway.

My first trip as captain, off of OE. I flew the first leg to Charlotte and then, as the FO (who was very new) flew the approach in to LIT on a very clear night, I realized I was, for the first time, responsible for a whole lot of people's lives and I didn't actually have my hands on the controls.

Threading our way through a huge line of weather just after departure out of Philly one night and glancing over at the FO and seeing him stare out the window in absolute amazement at the amount of lightning. It looked like what I always pictured a German disco in the 1970s would look like.

Clearing the runway in DCA after making it in on our second attempt to a MTV Circle 33 approach with the wind gusting to 55 knots. My leg was shaking so much it was hard to set the brake.

Passing just off shore of New York City on September 11th 2010 (or maybe 2011) and seeing the twin pillars of the memorial lights reaching skyward, illuminating a middle layer of clouds and then continuing on up into infinite.

Some random memories

Almost crashing in mammoth due to extreme xwinds

Almost died with @jtrain in a near miss

Watching American bounce a 757 off a snow bank and sliding off the end of runway in JAC

Iced up so fast I lost 5000ft and used the WX radar to paint the canyons around JAC and found my way to IDA

First night solo x-country

Flying over the Grand Canyon in a 172RG at night thinking my engine was making funny sounds

Departing JAC and having the 1900 cabin fill with smoke

Flying the super cub
PSH. You forgot jump seating with me.

"Are we there yet!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you delete that photo of me passed out on the ground after the first half mile on the bike?
myru3uvy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back