Your Best Moments

Cruising around the Olympic Peninsula of Washington state in a Cessna 182 with three housemates before I left them, the Army, and that state behind and started down a new road in life. We shot some pictures and had a good time, but more than anything, it was the first time I'd really taken up a bunch of people just for kicks.

That, and the time I flew my girlfriend to Key West for dinner in a light twin.

Last year, just after that hurricane smacked NYC, I got to shoot the Expressway Visual into LGA in an Embraer. I wrote a little thing on Facebook about it and it helped lift the spirits of some New Yorker friends. I wish they'd all been there to see it- NYC looked great, in spite of it all.

The first time I was cut loose to fly pax by myself in a floatplane and I fell in. Apparently people get nervous when their pilot starts floating and they are 40 miles from the nearest road, town.....

ILS to minimums in the 121 world.

Hand propping a plane full of paxs while floating down a river cause the starter had a malfunction.

My first solo (in a glider on my 14th birthday) I thought was kind of anti-climatic because I had been flying my whole life with my dad already, but it was still a special feeling.

The real feelings of accomplishment came the next year for me with my first flight in a single seat aircraft, first time being out of sight and gliding range from home and making it back, and my first off airport landing. I remember those way more vividly than my first solo.

Getting to take my mom up as my first passenger in a glider (after the checkride on my 16th birthday) was special and rewarding as well.

My first time hand-propping was embarrassing because I was so focused on getting back from the prop that I slid on my back for a few feet in the wet grass without getting the prop through the compression stroke. But, I was 15 and got it started on the next try.

I got to fly my senior prom date to a Wisconsin resort in a 172 for dinner. It was weird flying in a tux and without a headset to avoid messing up her hair. We flew the Cub over our school the Monday after that for senior skip day too. All throughout high school my milk run with pro-rata friends was a night flight down the Chi-town skyline with a touch and go at MDW (50.3nm away) for some fun, cheap XC time building.

Doing my first aero-tow with my dad in his glider behind me was pretty special.

Did a 10 day/50hr ME time building trip in 2009 from Chicago to LA, NYC and back in a very nice rented PA44.

Every student first solo and checkride pass

Flying the entire coast of Florida to Key West and back below 500' with an MEI student.

Most recently, the first time flying a B24, getting my SIC privileges in it, and flying my first airshow.

Cool thread with some good stories. Keep them coming!

My very last flight in the Metro II, since I resigned my PIC position due to reasons.

It was a relatively short hop of 45mins (short for us, at least), at dusk with interesting clouds, no turbulence upon approach, my copilot youtubing the whole landing. I knew it was the last, my time was due. But still, it was a flight full of emotions for me, I was touché.

I'm better off, nevertheless.

First solo in a PA-28, I remember calling my Instructor since when I was doing the pre-flight the flaps made a loud clunking sound i've never heard them make, turns out it was normal.
Passing my PPL Checkride
Flying in between layers with my instructor during my Instrument training

The first time I lined up on a runway, spooled up a set of jet engines for the first time and released the brakes. Good old cf-700

T-38 Formation Checkride - They intentionally give you more maneuvers to accomplish as lead than gas so you have to prioritize (no one told me that going in). I got them all accomplished with gas to spare. Only downgrade was Route Formation on the way back to base when my Lead bumped his stick and while dialing in the TACAN and I didn't respond quickly enough for my Evaluator.

I'll add to my previous post about my SFO low pass.

-First solo at TCY. I was all hyper and excited and talking on the CTAF in various accents ranging from British to Ebonic. It was so awesome begin alone, I was just shouting nonsense to myself pumping myself up. I was bouncing around in my seat laughing having a lot of fun, so much fun the stall horn went off on base to final and I had to shove the nose down hoping my CFI didn't notice. My girlfriend at the time took pictures of my landings and I didn't really flare for a single one(despite my CFI begging me to between landings), greased them all...but...used almost the entire lengthy runway. After my last landing when my CFI and girlfriend got back in the plane, she told me "He laughed and said you screwed up when you turned really sharp". Whoops.

-Taking my girlfriend at the time on a trip up to STS for lunch. It was my first time flying a plane with TCAS and we were having fun spotting airplanes on the "fish finder" on the way up. When we got in, the CalFire tankers were all taxiing out in a big line to go fight a fire. ATC lined 3 other Cessnas up right behind me so close I remember looking behind me and it felt like formation flying. Tower asked if I could keep "maximum practical speed" then "Make the first exit practical" as the tankers were waiting. "Hell yeah we can!". I came blazing in at the yellow ark until short final, dropped full flaps and threw it into a slip, and made the first turn off just as the next Cessna was touching down kicking out of a slip with the guy behind him doing the same. We took a mini cooper to Applebee's, then unforcasted fog started to roll in right as we finished eating. When we got to the airport and hopped in the plane, it was still VFR but it was obvious if we didn't get above the clouds fast, we'd be spending the night. The full story of that departure is best told over a beer, but as I climbed though a large but closing hole in the gloomy sky, we burst into dramatic orange sunset with the cloud tops below us lit purple and we were both in total awe. A few minutes later, the controller announced the field was IFR. The unforcasted fog spread all the way down to SFO, and it was interesting flying the whole way back with low overcast below us. It was the first time I felt like I was truly navigating as I couldn't see the ground below, just mountain tops. Once I looked out the window and saw the San Francisco Sky Scrapers poking out from the fog under my gear, and soon after the end of the fog line and the super clear twinkling lights of SFO and the South Bay ahead, I felt very accomplished. Right after we got back, we hopped on an RJ to TUS. I think that was her favorite date.

-Climbing out of Halfmoon Bay at night with 3 friends in a 172(after a careful weight and balance) as a new private pilot out over the dark Ocean with a starless sky. I remember thinking "Wow, this feels like instrument flying". As soon as I turned x-wind, we hit the worst turbulence I've ever had. It took me by surprise as there was very little on the way in. I remember fighting it, while climbing to get over the mountains to SQL, and keeping my cool and situational awareness and not freaking out while remaining intently focused. Once we got over the mountains and I leveled off, the turbulence spit us out and I felt very proud of myself for keeping control of the situation before it was time to pull the power and start down for the "slam dunk" approach into SQL thanks to the 1500 foot Bravo at the foot of said mountains.

-Flying over a dust devil at New Jerusalem with my primary CFI. It was about 400 feet tall whipping around by the final. I asked my CFI what would happen if we flew over it, he said "Let's find out!". It pegged the VSI for about a second or two and we were now several hundred feet higher than we were a seconds before. I seem to remember we still managed to land fine.

-All the trips from LOU-LEX with @JordanD to borrow the Porsche Boxter convertible that the Air 51(now TacAir sans Porsche) FBO had, and driving it responsibly while abiding by all posted speed limits as any 18 year old kids would. Many over-beer stories from the flights.

-Landing on 30R in SJC and having SJC tell a Southwest 737 to "prepare to go-around" thinking he goofed putting a 172 so close ahead. NOPE. Yellow arc till over the numbers, pull the power and dump the flaps, touch and go, get the hell out. Got a "nice job" from my CFI, the controller, and the Southwest pilot. Put a big smile on my 17 year old student pilot face flying into a "big" airport for the first time.

-Passing my private check ride in Seymour, Indiana. I crashed and burned in the oral out here, @kiloalpha told me if I could get out to SDF, he'd finish me off(giggity). So that month I spent my 4 days off from Skywest each week going to/from SDF flying and doing ground before taking my ride in a strange place with no landmarks I had never been to or even heard of. To add to the matter, my sectional had expired and the only place selling them we could find anywhere near SDF was at BAK(!). So at the crack of dawn we flew LOU-BAK-SER to start my checkride. The examiner was impressed with my diversion since I had never been to the area and the checkride was smooth sailing. I had work the next afternoon, and got back to SDF to find my flight canceled! So at 5am the next morning, I was on an RJ bound for ORD, got biz class on a 777 to SFO in my gate agent uniform and went to work, tired but excited(If you're from the area, LB is a GREAT DPE).

-I bring friends along on every flight I take. It is usually their first time in a small airplane, and I know its very special to them. It makes me start each flight in a fun mood and I can honestly say just about every flight I've ever done is memorable because of the company I've had the the experiences I've given them. It's a very rewarding feeling to log onto facebook and see the person upload a ton of pictures and go on rants about how awesome flying was.

-All the dates I've had in the air. Girls love pilots and airplanes. It's true. Chicks dig it when guys are passionate, if you are all fired up about the idea of taking them flying and get them super excited, that excitement will carry over to a date they'll never forget. But I personally have the opposite of the typical pilot "unexcitible" personality, so YMMV. All about delivery.

And again, the best stories, of course, are told over beers.

Flying skydivers for dropzone in Byron, CA. It was the one time where I felt as if I were part of the team, respected by peers because I was one of skydivers as well a pilot. The gig was only temporary but I had a blast. I would fly, skydive, coast students and pack parachutes all in the same day.

Watching the sunset under canopy at 14,000 feet.

Not flying but:

When the Commanding Officer of the 75th Fighter Squadron, the Flying Tigers presented me an A-10 lithograph signed by all the pilots in the squadron for a job well done.

Flying a night time build from jax to fpr and being vectored around Orlando RIGHT NEXT TO DISNEY WORLD at 4000' just as the fireworks show started! Got some sweet pics and vids.

Also, flying myself and buddies to Oshkosh in my buddy's dads c310. He just bought it and didn't have a multi rating yet. Paid me to check out in it...and paid all expenses for the trip!

Taking off out of Nairobi, then flying "low" across 100 miles of African plains, chasing giraffes, and following the coast over the Indian Ocean all the way to Mombasa, where we took a death-cab ride from hell through the center of the 3rd world to our 4-star hotel. Only in the Herk.

Taking off out of Nairobi, then flying "low" across 100 miles of African plains, chasing giraffes, and following the coast over the Indian Ocean all the way to Mombasa, where we took a death-cab ride from hell through the center of the 3rd world to our 4-star hotel. Only in the Herk.

Well your job sounds interesting

First Solo
First passenger (girlfriend now wife)
First student
First flight as a 121 Capt
First time taking my Mom as a passenger on a flt where I was Capt
Last flight at XJT
First time a used the word "heavy" with my call sign on the radio
First time I saw the sunrise over the Atlantic from the flight deck
Seeing my wife when I walk through the front door post commute home.
Any day on reserve when scheduling doesn't call.

Too many to type... but a few come to mind.

Beautiful evening in Portsmouth, NH... my friend and I randomly decided to through some gas in the P-51 and go strafe boats near the harbor. Strapping into a P-51, cranking it up with the canopy rolled back is one of the best aviation experiences ever.

BFMing a P-51 low altitude against the west PA landscape.

First time in the front seat of an L-39 after getting type rated.

Doing your first water landing in a flying boat.

Joining up in an L-39 over OSH with a Twin Beech, Wildcat, MXS, and P-51 on the wing for a photo shoot.

Leading a L-39s and 1 MiG-17 in a Citation 650 into the break at OSH.

More recently... early morning briefs, hit the ops desk, walk to the locker...grab my G-suit and helmet, step to the jet, strap in, check the 4 ship in, start, taxi.... two good swings of the afterburners, rotate... cruise to the MOA separate into two, two ships and do high aspect BFM in the T-38 and go back, debrief and review the tapes... and do it again the next day.

When my wife responded, "Affirmative" after I proposed to her in flight.

Rolling to a stop after my first engine shutdown.

At the hotel bar after being struck by lightening.

Standing under the wing of a C-172 in a light rain, preflighting before my first actual IMC flight.

Any time I was in a cockpit or bar with Norm Edwards.

For me
1- first solo
2- first time doing a spin in a citabria
3- taking my father out for a $100 hamburger
4- taking a Cessna 172 from Florida to South America and flying through the ITCZ. Spent 10 days living on cliff bars, 5 hour energy drinks, and dealing with shady officials. Wouldn't trade that experience for the world.
5- taking kids up for young eagles flights

Its been a hell of a ride so far.

Back