XJT or Mesa

Dear XJT/ASA/Skywest guys. You don't want to go through this. It creates a toxic atmosphere. No union in the world can save you from that.
The opportunity, IMO, for one list between SkyWest Airlines and the airlines formerly known as Continental Express and Atlantic Southeast Airlines has long, long passed, mostly for the reasons you're saying. The DL-NW model of "this is how you do a merger" won't work for this situation.

I suppose XJT just isn't as attractive as it used to be. A friend of mine recently decided it was time to leave his King Air gig for something in the 121 world. He received offers at both Trans States and XJT. He selected Trans States. There was a time I would have called such a move crazy. It appears that time may have passed.

I skipped the part of this thread about the Bloch-astrophe, so forgive me if I missed something.

What I've gathered so far is that XJT has better pay and work rules. But XJT will likely shrink in the near future and the new contract could be concessionary in nature. Mesa has inferior pay and work rules for the moment, but it's growing and therefore may have a more secure future.

It seems like the trick is to get on with a crappy regional just as it improves, then get out before said regional goes away or shrinks. I joined XJT(ASA) at the beginning of its most recent hiring wave. I hope the wave is large enough to grant me some security when the 200's are removed en masse. Only time will tell.

Why do they make the FO carry all that? The CA is responsible for the flight and like they are really going to get to fly a hard IFR approach? 8)

It is when you don't have to carry a flight case anymore. One less 30lb item to lug around.
The way EFBs are going at the regionals is that we have to buy our own iPads and mounts. I'm not lopping $500+ down so the company can save money on a tablet I will not use at home and will have a greater chance of breaking at work. Just stupid.

Maurus said:
The way EFBs are going at the regionals is that we have to buy our own iPads and mounts. I'm not lopping $500+ down so the company can save money on a tablet I will not use at home and will have a greater chance of breaking at work. Just stupid.

Sure you will, when the Company deposits $500 into your account to go and purchase said device. As far as I know, and I only know this from a reliable source on the subject specifically, the mounts will be attached in the flight deck. It is his understanding that pilots will not be purchasing them with the funds provided by the company. Further, it is still unknown (or not available for public dissemination) what the specific value of deposit will be or the frequency of deposit (technology does age).

As you's were.

surreal1221 said:
Sure you will, when the Company deposits $500 into your account to go and purchase said device. As far as I know, and I only know this from a reliable source on the subject specifically, the mounts will be attached in the flight deck. It is his understanding that pilots will not be purchasing them with the funds provided by the company. Further, it is still unknown (or not available for public dissemination) what the specific value of deposit will be or the frequency of deposit (technology does age). As you's were.

And it will only be on battery. No power attachment in cockpit. A specific level needed before departure. Told they were doing testing week before last on some flights.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, because I live under a rock when it comes to the regional world, but is Mesa's hiring into the 900s due to attrition or did they add to the fleet?

ComplexHiAv8r said:
And it will only be on battery. No power attachment in cockpit. A specific level needed before departure. Told they were doing testing week before last on some flights.

Correct. Numerous challenges the test group is facing.

It is when you don't have to carry a flight case anymore. One less 30lb item to lug around.

Of course it would be nice to not carry a kit bag around anymore, but nobody should have to buy their own like at Mesa. Eventually the bean counters at every airline will see that in the long run it's cheaper to provide tablets to their crews instead of giving them paper Jepps now and then buying them surgery when they wreck their backs a few years later.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, because I live under a rock when it comes to the regional world, but is Mesa's hiring into the 900s due to attrition or did they add to the fleet?
They are adding 900's to airways (9) and then something like 30 175's to UAL

Sure you will, when the Company deposits $500 into your account to go and purchase said device. As far as I know, and I only know this from a reliable source on the subject specifically, the mounts will be attached in the flight deck. It is his understanding that pilots will not be purchasing them with the funds provided by the company. Further, it is still unknown (or not available for public dissemination) what the specific value of deposit will be or the frequency of deposit (technology does age).

As you's were.
If they pay for the iPad I'm game. I'm just basing my assumption on the current trend at the regional level. We obviously won't know till they finally get everything done.

Back