XJT or Mesa

Far behind us. This place has been a great place to hang your hat, at least to me, for 5 years while the industry was in stagnation.

Now that movement has started again those joining the 121 world would be crazy to join XJT with much better options out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

@Trip7, your credibility has shrank to an all time low.

Objective look from the outside (but with a fair amount of knowledge of the regional situation):

Contractually, XJT is a much better place to be. Mesa's CBA is weak in many areas where as ExpressJet has a very mature contract that is pretty well locked down. Of course, your contract is only as good as the enforcement of it, and while I don't know specifics, from what I've heard over the years, the level of enforcement at XJT is decreasing but probably still ahead of where Mesa is.

Unless you are planning making a career at either one of these places (and I'd say that neither one will be around long enough for that to happen) the pay differential is negligible. You are going to make next to nothing your first year and then it will be survivable after that as long as you are financially smart.

Historically, Mesa had a pretty poor culture. Their CEO is an ass (you can TOTALLY say ass on here!) and beat the hell out of them. However, over the last few years, necessity has driven them to make some changes and most of the Mesa pilots I've talked to recently have said it's better than it's ever been. Not that it's great, but that for the first time in a long time (or ever) they are feeling slightly more upbeat about things. XJT on the other hand was, the golden child of Continental until they were divested and although that glow followed them for a number of years. Over time it's kind of faded and then through being bought by Skywest and forced into a shotgun marriage with ASA, it's pretty much gone.

Mesa is growing a fleet of "large" RJs. ExpressJet has a ton of 50 seat RJs and no real plans for fleet replacement right now.

Bases... You'd certainly be able to hold Phoenix before Denver, however I don't know how long that is taking right now. Last I heard (and this info is about a year old) it was 2 years to get west with them.

ComplexHiAv8r said:
No, please tell. (Here or PM). Thks

I recall mentioning not believing everything they say...

Our Crew Support department is ran by a previous flight attendant. They can barely figure out vacancy awards correctly. You think Crew support / Manpower Planning talk to HR? Much less that what they say should be considered accurate?

For HR to pontificate about improved work rules shows me that they really are spreading it on pretty thick. You ask someone in HR what our max duty is after a min rest day is and they would have no idea.

Like I said though, obviously, if they offer you a job - take it. Pilot group is awesome, it's the numbnuts and fake leaders in various other positions that will make you reconsider after joining up.

The most junior captain at Mesa has more longevity than the most junior captain at XJT. Yeah, maybe that is changing but I turned down my recall to Mesa when they offered it to me a few months back.

I used to work at Mesa, and it wasn't all...that bad…but it could be a pain at times. With that said there have been a lot of changes there for the better. I still have a few contacts there and they said it's gotten much better; enough so that I'd even consider going back to fly there. Just my $.02 cents, so YMMV!

H46Bubba said:
I used to work at Mesa, and it wasn't all...that bad…but it could be a pain at times. With that said there have been a lot of changes there for the better. I still have a few contacts there and they said it's gotten much better; enough so that I'd even consider going back to fly there. Just my $.02 cents, so YMMV!
You going to jump in too?

There's a pilot shortage you know.

Tough question. I think Mesa is improving while XJT has been deteriorating. I don't think there is a clear choice unless you lived in one of their domiciles.

Back