XJT here I come!

[ QUOTE ]
You got a jet type rating at under 700 hours total with no practical experience in jets? How much turbine time did you have when you got that type rating?

Not meaning to burst your bubble and I'm happy you got a job at XJT. But I see it as a TRAVESTY that it's possible to get a jet type rating with so little flight time. I hope that ticket in your pocket doesn't make you think you're qualified to be a CL65 Captain in real life....as it was meant to be. At least that's the way I see it. Did you go to DCA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man dude----chill out! We have several scholarship programs here at Bowling Green with Flight Safety, Simuflight, Simcom, etc. that offer type ratings to anyone with their Private/Instrument (minnimum)! Maybe the guy earned it through a program like this, or maybe he paid for it. Either way--he earned it obviously. Plus---"jet time" isn't even required, all you do is sit in a sim and go through the flows, and checklists.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus---"jet time" isn't even required, all you do is sit in a sim and go through the flows, and checklists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! "All you do?" Its that easy huh? If you have that attitude when it comes time to go through any kind of type specific training (type rating or not), you are in for an unpleasant surprise...like a very short stay in new hire ground school.
cwm27.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, many European carriers type their FO's in jets with as little as 300 hours. I'm sure you'll also be disgusted to know that they complete the majority of their training, all the way to frozen ATPL, at some of the academies here in the U.S. that y'all love to hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
...been doing this for 20+ years I'm well aware of that.

But FYI.....Did you know if you go "over there" with the SAME requirements you will NOT qualify??? Yet many people come over here and are given a job on US soil, with US carriers while US citizens are turned away. What's wrong with this picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I happen to be one of those evil foreigners who came over here to steal your job. FYI, I did indeed qualify for British Airway's program, but unfortunetly wasn't one of the lucky 5% that get through the entire selection process.

It's funny how people think that anyone can move here and easily move into any job they desire and steal benefits etc... from U.S. Citizen. You know whats even funnier? Is that people in England think like that too!

And here's a question for ya- my brother, who isn't a citizen, is currently serving the U.S. Armed Forces in Iraq. He's a student who's been denied shcolarships because he isn't a citizen, can't vote because he doesn't yet qualify for citizenship, yet is willing to put his life on the line for this country. Whats wrong with that picture?

"After all I never claimed to have the operational experience to operate the CRJ in the line"

In my mind, they shouldn't be giving out type ratings unless you DO have the operational experence to do the job. It used to be you got a type rating when you upgrade from F/O to Capt. Now you can go through the ERAU CAPT program and get an MD90 type at 400 hours. Do you really think a 700 hour guy is equal to a guy with 2000 hours as an F/O who's upgrading to the left seat? In my mind, it's the same piece of paper and if you earn one you should be able to be a Capt on the equipment....that's the whole point.

I saw an ad today in flying that made me want to puke. Some school called ACA, or something, was advertising that you could get a type rating there as a low time pilot and that would make you "equal" to someone with "far" more experience. So a 700 hour, type rated, pilot is equal to a non-type rated guy with 2000 hours tubine. I don't think so.....

[ QUOTE ]
Plus---"jet time" isn't even required, all you do is sit in a sim and go through the flows, and checklists.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough!* CPT's aren't a walk in the park.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, many European carriers type their FO's in jets with as little as 300 hours. I'm sure you'll also be disgusted to know that they complete the majority of their training, all the way to frozen ATPL, at some of the academies here in the U.S. that y'all love to hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
...been doing this for 20+ years I'm well aware of that.

But FYI.....Did you know if you go "over there" with the SAME requirements you will NOT qualify??? Yet many people come over here and are given a job on US soil, with US carriers while US citizens are turned away. What's wrong with this picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your understanding of it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! "All you do?" Its that easy huh? If you have that attitude when it comes time to go through any kind of type specific training (type rating or not), you are in for an unpleasant surprise...like a very short stay in new hire ground school.
cwm27.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't say anything was easy. I said, you don't need "jet time" which the one guy was implying that you need "jet experience." And its not "all you do" man, don't take things so literally. I know a kid who is 20, the extent of his flying is a PA-44 and he got a scholarship through Flt. Safety for a type, had no problem with it and they were very helpful in trying to make him successful.

I just pointed that out because the one guy bashed the XJT new hires credentials. So what, the guy has a type rating and he's just a CFI? There's no need to call him out on it and talk nonsense about being a CFI with a type.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also have very different operational philosophies and procedures compared to US carriers. Comparing US Airlines to most European Airlines regarding hiring standards ia about the same as using the military low-time argument. It's different here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Could you elaborate on these operational differences that would make a 300 hour jet pilot acceptable there and not here?

CHRIST ALLMIGHTY!!!! Let the guy have his day!!! He just got hired and is EXTREMELY happy!!! Or was...until some took it upon themselves to belittle his accomplishments!!

NOWHERE did I read, nor did he write initially that he thought he was qualified to act as a Captain merely because he has a type-rating. He did that on his own accord. None of the rest is any of ya'lls business to be honest.

CHRIST! How soon everyone forgets what it was like to be in his shoes and getting the news that someone wanted to hire you.

Drop the piety!

SJFlyer - CONGRATS, dude!!

Best of luck in your training!! Keep us posted. There are quite a number of us who will be interested in hearing about your progress!!

Fly Safe!!

R2F

"Or was...until some took it upon themselves to belittle his accomplishments!!"

I was happy for him that he got the job. I believe I said so. Don't see any reason to use that as excuse for me not post an opinion about something I feel very strongly about and how some in the industry feel about it. I come from a major airline background and a large jet type rating is very hard to achieve. The Capt I flew with today and I were talking about it and he couldn't believe you could get a type with such low time. Heck....I've been fly UPS jets since 1990 and still don't have a jet type. I guess I'm just going on the basis of how hard I know it is to upgrade to Capt on a 727 or 757/767 and know that NO WAY a guy with 700/100 has any business in the left seat. And, to me, that's what a jet type rating is....earning the right to be in the left seat.

Anyhow...I'll have to be more careful about not ruffling any feathers when I talk about my view of industry issues....

[ QUOTE ]

I was happy for him that he got the job. I believe I said so. Don't see any reason to use that as excuse for me not post an opinion about something I feel very strongly about and how some in the industry feel about it. I come from a major airline background and a large jet type rating is very hard to achieve. The Capt I flew with today and I were talking about it and he couldn't believe you could get a type with such low time. Heck....I've been fly UPS jets since 1990 and still don't have a jet type. I guess I'm just going on the basis of how hard I know it is to upgrade to Capt on a 727 or 757/767 and know that NO WAY a guy with 700/100 has any business in the left seat. And, to me, that's what a jet type rating is....earning the right to be in the left seat.

Anyhow...I'll have to be more careful about not ruffling any feathers when I talk about my view of industry issues....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I and many others enjoy reading your views.

I don't understand this either, wouldn't he need to have his ATP to fly the CRJ as ca/ptain (PIC) depending on what pt. the plane is flown under

Anways, congrats SJ, good luck in training.

IR, when he gets his Type, He can go buy a CRJ, get a SIC and fly it legally. For what he did its basically a Box check.

[ QUOTE ]
The point of the type is not to get a street captain job flying the CRJ; it is however, to demonstrate that at 700 hours I can handle a sophisticated aircraft and that I am able to complete any regional airline training program with little or no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go Get Em Tiger!!
rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
DE727UPS - believe me when I say - your views are HIGHLY respected - by me - by most everyone!

And the part I highlighted is what I was getting at. I don't think he was trying to say that his type-rating "earned" him the right to the left seat. Just that it helped show his (now) employer that he was able to handle some in-depth, compex training with low hours.

I see, and completely understand, where you are coming from and I didn't mean any disrespect.

I just thought it was a tad inappropriate when the guy was just trying to get an "atta-boy" from his peers.

If you don't know it by know - you're at the pinnacle (or pretty damned close) to where most of us want to be. Your opinion is highly respected. I just thought it was poorly timed. (perhaps) my bad.

Stan

"I just thought it was poorly timed. (perhaps) my bad."

Now that your not cussin' in Caps....how would you suggest I do it different next time?

[ QUOTE ]
"I just thought it was poorly timed. (perhaps) my bad."

Now that your not cussin' in Caps....how would you suggest I do it different next time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Either keep it to yourself or create a separate thread entitled "How things SHOULD be in my humble opinion."

Seriously - and again, Don, I'm not trying to be an ass, but we've been bombarded with the "reality" of what the aviation world can be like over the past two-to-three years. Things are FINALLY starting to pick up for us bottom dwellers.

Honestly - we get it. Things weren't always this great. It was harder for some then than it is for others right now.

Would it REALLY hurt for you guys at or near the top to hold your tongue for a few minutes and let those of us who are on the rise enjoy what (perhaps small to you) victories we achieve??

Just a thought.

Stan

Back