Written Bust

Oxygen masks - DON, SELECT 100%
Smoke goggles - DON
Crew communications - ESTABLISH
Recirculation and gasper fans - OFF
I guess my experience is proof that the BE-60 does in fact possess the ability to fly. I thought it was a jackstand trophy for the longest.

*squints, then increases text size*

Wonderful things, 20" monitors. Allows me to sit on the other side of the room and still read the fine print ;)
20"? Shoot son...Rolling twin 24 incher's up here!

OP, honesty is always the best policy. Just turn it into a positive...

Last edited:
Has anyone asked "How in the heck can you fail a written exam TWICE....especially the FOI"?!?!

Just checking.....

Has anyone asked "How in the heck can you fail a written exam TWICE....especially the FOI"?!?!

Just checking.....
It can be a tricky subject for folks, especially considering it has nothing to do with flying...4 posts and throwing stones already? Ease up bro.

Full disclosure, I got an 88 on my FOI the first pass, then just passed my CFI-A w/ a 70...everyone has bad days.

Just checking.....

I did.

First, had no idea that I was supposed to take it as part of a flight academics course at ERAU, took it cold turkey and bombed it entirely as I didn't study or even know what the subject matter was.

Went in the next day after a night of getting smashed at Thursday "Dollar Drink Night" on Whiskey Row in Prescott and got a 69%

It's possible!

(Don't try this, kids)

Just checking.....
Some people no matter how smart they are are not good at taking written test.
Personally I feel that the written FAA test have absolutely zero to do with flying an airplane, and frankly as someone that has been in the position of hiring other pilots I could give two craps what someone scored on the test.

Some people no matter how smart they are are not good at taking written test.
Personally I feel that the written FAA test have absolutely zero to do with flying an airplane.

Couldn't agree more.

I used Sheppard, studied for 2 days reading only the correct answers, got a 98%. This is not how I studied for the other tests, but it works great for FOI. I have a minor in education (major in Mathematics) and have taught at the college level for many years. I found most of the info that the FAA teaches and tests to be dated and subjective, and of limited use in actually instructing students how to not kill themselves in an airplane. It frustrated me to study what I thought was worthless information and I was just studying to pass a test.

I admit, busting that FOI twice was my biggest face palm moment of my training. Memorized the Gliem but then realized after I had bombed it that apparently the test bank database had been changed so I wasn't the only one amongst my friends to be shocked. After that second bust, I found out about Sheppard air and easily scored I think a 98%.

When I interviewed, I was asked what stage checks OR final check rides I'd failed.

So I initially thought that would be any oral or flight which I've only busted for private and instrument, one oral and one flight. I asked if a written was considered a check ride and all I was told was to disclose everything. I had to mainly explain why I failed my check rides which was okay for me and wasn't really asked on why I failed the written, you either know it or you don't.

I agree with these writtens not measuring ones abilities in the airplane and seem more to emphasize achieving a minimum score and not understanding. Rote knowledge. I've trained foreign students with 100% on their writtens but have trouble just walking and breathing yet alone knowing what the meaning of "MORE right rudder" means.

Either way, let's hope that I don't get the dreaded "Hey you, pick up your stuff and let's talk" line while in class if I do accept the offer because "you told us you failed the written once, not twice"

I failed my private checkride because I was an 18 year old idiot. It was 141, so I guess it wasn't a bust on my record, but I still disclose it. I wouldn't disclose a failed knowledge test unless they specifically ask about it.

If they don't ask, then don't say anything.

If they do ask, then fess up regardless if there is an official record or not.

Straight forward honesty is the best policy. You will then be able to show up to work every day, without worry that somebody who knows May see you.

This goes for line flying as well. If you work at a good company, make a mistake and own it, usually it's a retrain. Try to cover it up, and it's a new job search with a pink slip to explain.

I've never had management call me to the carpet for telling them the truth. Etc...

Beyond that, it's a written failure, who cares. Did you study and fix the problem by passing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Couldn't agree more.

I used Sheppard, studied for 2 days reading only the correct answers, got a 98%. This is not how I studied for the other tests, but it works great for FOI. I have a minor in education (major in Mathematics) and have taught at the college level for many years. I found most of the info that the FAA teaches and tests to be dated and subjective, and of limited use in actually instructing students how to not kill themselves in an airplane. It frustrated me to study what I thought was worthless information and I was just studying to pass a test.
Sure. I worked my way through college as an undergraduate TA in computer science, and the material was largely annoying or irrelevant on FOI.

But, on the other hand, that is the standard. Bad or not, it's the standard.

I admit, busting that FOI twice was my biggest face palm moment of my training. Memorized the Gliem but then realized after I had bombed it that apparently the test bank database had been changed so I wasn't the only one amongst my friends to be shocked. After that second bust, I found out about Sheppard air and easily scored I think a 98%.

When I interviewed, I was asked what stage checks OR final check rides I'd failed.

So I initially thought that would be any oral or flight which I've only busted for private and instrument, one oral and one flight. I asked if a written was considered a check ride and all I was told was to disclose everything. I had to mainly explain why I failed my check rides which was okay for me and wasn't really asked on why I failed the written, you either know it or you don't.
Interesting. Plural? Have you worked at an air carrier before?

Back