Work Ties

Which kind of tie do you wear for work?

• Total voters
I use the traditional tie but I hardly ever fully untie the windsor knot when I take it off.

When I freighted I clipped on so I could unclip the moment i left base. I would use a traditional tie when I jumpseated because I felt really stupid the few times the clip-on fell off in the terminal.

I noticed there really is a mix of ties out there. Which ones do you all prefer for work?

Clip on for security.

I had some "more important than thou" passenger forcibly grab me by my traditional tie as he was upset because I wouldn't check him in. (circa 96)

Now all he'd get is a clip on tie with decades old clam chowder stains and an ass-whipping! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Clip on for security.

I had some "more important than thou" passenger forcibly grab me by my traditional tie as he was upset because I wouldn't check him in. (circa 96)

Now all he'd get is a clip on tie with decades old clam chowder stains and an ass-whipping! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

You don't need a clip on for security. You just need to unleash the blackness if someone grabs up on you!

Clip on for security.

Sent from my TRS-80

That happened to a co-worker friend of mine at Eagle. It was before departure, the pax was in the 1st row of the ATR, there was some issue he was squawking & getting belligerent about, so the F/A calls up for some assistance. He comes out of the cockpit, asks the guy what the matter is, the angry pax grabs him by the tie, and it comes off in his hand... The look on the pax's face was priceless. Huge eyes, an "OMG what the heck have I just done" expression, and the pax found himself having a come-to-jesus talk about appropriate vs. non-appropriate behavior on a plane. Apparently the pax shut up and behaved himself the rest of the flight.

I had a zipper tie at my first airline and thought it was nice.

Then I switched airlines and you had to get a clip-on or traditional tie in the new uniform package (tie was no longer the same color either).

I decided to get the clip-on, and then get thew zipper tie in the new color later.

Once I started flying with the clip-on, I decided I will never wear a traditional or zipper tie again. Both are absolutely way too complicated!

I second the security benefit of the clip-on. If some clown decides to yank it off, then "it's on."

That happened to a co-worker friend of mine at Eagle. It was before departure, the pax was in the 1st row of the ATR, there was some issue he was squawking & getting belligerent about, so the F/A calls up for some assistance. He comes out of the cockpit, asks the guy what the matter is, the angry pax grabs him by the tie, and it comes off in his hand... The look on the pax's face was priceless. Huge eyes, an "OMG what the *&$% have I just done" expression, and the pax found himself having a come-to-jesus talk about appropriate vs. non-appropriate behavior on a plane. Apparently the pax shut up and behaved himself the rest of the flight.

If someone grabbed my tie and it came off, I think I'd be inclined to have them take another flight. If they have no qualms about grabbing a pilot by the necktie, I don't want to find out what they'll do to the flight attendants if they get pissed off after a drink or two at FL390.

Apparently the tie coming off in the pax's hand was a "oh crap" moment, and changed the guy's attitude. I wasn't the one working that flight, so I didn't see it first-hand and it wasn't my call to make. Seems he was one of those "tough guys til someone stands up to him" kind of people. They're pretty easy to deal with, as the moment you assert yourself they back down. Not every aggressive pax is like that though.

So in other words, wear what I wear for my part time stripping gig?

You only do yours part time? ;)

If someone grabbed my tie and it came off, I think I'd be inclined to have them take another flight. If they have no qualms about grabbing a pilot by the necktie, I don't want to find out what they'll do to the flight attendants if they get pissed off after a drink or two at FL390.

Agreed!
If someone grabbed me by the tie, or anywhere for that matter, you are done on that flight!

There would be no way that I would not have them removed. None.

Back