WiscAir - Pro Aire Cargo

MNFlyboy

Hey y'all

Just wondered if any of you JC'ers work for or have worked for WiscAir in Minnesota. Getting some C208 time and I see they have one operating the Anoka-Fargo run, wondered if they had any more of those, hiring, etc.

Just curious about the company.

Anything would be cool.

:beer:

I've been at wiscair (full company name is Pro Air Cargo and Consulting) since late August 2008 and really enjoy it.

The company president, DO, chief pilot, etc.. are all great guys, as are the pilots. We're a really small company. Six scheduled runs out of Anoka daily and two out of OSH, where the company is based. 15 pilots give or take.

It's primarily 310s flying bank work and hazmat out to the Dakotas (FSD, FAR, PIR, RAP, MOT, ABR) and charters, which are almost exclusively hazmat. We do have a 'van which usually goes to Fargo and also do that run in a 1040 (turboprop, unpressurized Navajo, basically).

The OSH runs go to IMT-ANE and up to SAW. The OSH guys don't have as much scheduled flying but do a lot of charters and are all pretty much part-time or doubling up doing administrative stuff.

Pay is pretty good, I think, for driving old 310s around. The airplanes themselves are well-used but well-maintained and I have total confidence in our mechanics. If stuff breaks, it gets fixed.

You're usually out in the morning, spend the day at the outstation and home in the evening. Crew cars and crash pads or hotels at all of the outstations, which is huge in my book. I'm writing this from my hotel room in FSD, matter of fact.

Um, other than that, it's part 135 freight in the upper Midwest in piston twins so it can be pretty tough work in the winter and a piece of cake in the summer, unless there's convection about.

I think in December I flew 53 approaches out of 110 total legs and in almost three years I think I've only had perhaps two trips actually cancelled. I've delayed a bunch and gone to different airports of course.

I really like it here. It's good, honest flying (if you like autopilots this isn't the place to be, although we are getting more and more autopilot airplanes) and everybody is really decent to work with.

If your're looking for turbine time this probably isn't the place. We only have a couple and it can take a while to get into one (I just started flying the 1040 last month) and there is a certain level of maturity required because you really are out on your own, making your own decisions much of the time. That latter part probably holds true for any single-pilot operator.

So, there you have it. :)

I've been at wiscair (full company name is Pro Air Cargo and Consulting) since late August 2008 and really enjoy it.

The company president, DO, chief pilot, etc.. are all great guys, as are the pilots. We're a really small company. Six scheduled runs out of Anoka daily and two out of OSH, where the company is based. 15 pilots give or take.

It's primarily 310s flying bank work and hazmat out to the Dakotas (FSD, FAR, PIR, RAP, MOT, ABR) and charters, which are almost exclusively hazmat. We do have a 'van which usually goes to Fargo and also do that run in a 1040 (turboprop, unpressurized Navajo, basically).

The OSH runs go to IMT-ANE and up to SAW. The OSH guys don't have as much scheduled flying but do a lot of charters and are all pretty much part-time or doubling up doing administrative stuff.

Pay is pretty good, I think, for driving old 310s around. The airplanes themselves are well-used but well-maintained and I have total confidence in our mechanics. If stuff breaks, it gets fixed.

You're usually out in the morning, spend the day at the outstation and home in the evening. Crew cars and crash pads or hotels at all of the outstations, which is huge in my book. I'm writing this from my hotel room in FSD, matter of fact.

Um, other than that, it's part 135 freight in the upper Midwest in piston twins so it can be pretty tough work in the winter and a piece of cake in the summer, unless there's convection about.

I think in December I flew 53 approaches out of 110 total legs and in almost three years I think I've only had perhaps two trips actually cancelled. I've delayed a bunch and gone to different airports of course.

I really like it here. It's good, honest flying (if you like autopilots this isn't the place to be, although we are getting more and more autopilot airplanes) and everybody is really decent to work with.

If your're looking for turbine time this probably isn't the place. We only have a couple and it can take a while to get into one (I just started flying the 1040 last month) and there is a certain level of maturity required because you really are out on your own, making your own decisions much of the time. That latter part probably holds true for any single-pilot operator.

Sounds like a dream job to me.

Also, I didn't know that there were any T1040s still flying... we've got a T1020 (basically the piston T1040) where I work and as I understand it there were only about 20 of them built. Even fewer of the T1040.

Also, I didn't know that there were any T1040s still flying... we've got a T1020 (basically the piston T1040) where I work and as I understand it there were only about 20 of them built. Even fewer of the T1040.

We operate serial numbers 1 and 24, the first and last 1040s built. It's actually a decent airplane for something cobbled together in a shed by some drunken Pennsylvania farmers using spare parts and hammers.

It's actually a decent airplane for something cobbled together in a shed by some drunken Pennsylvania farmers using spare parts and hammers.
Ha. I bet, sort of a bastard child of the Navajo Cheiftan and the Cheyenne. The 1020 seems like a good airplane but like anything else in that class there are a LOT of moving parts so it's a bit of a maintenance pig. They're also showing their age a bit, troubles with stuff like elevator spars, rudder torque tubes, and wing attach points. The boot system on the 1020 is pretty hokey too.

You fly into 9V9?

I used to fly into Anoka not too long ago on a regular basis, the pilots that I knew seemed pretty happy.

Sadly, yes. Every day as part of WIS202, ANE-FSD-PIR-9V9-FSD-ANE.

I hate going into Chamberlain. Half-arsed weather reporting and short, even for a 310.
ahh, your the normal 202 pilot? I always try to get out of FSD before you in 1024..

It's been a couple months, any word on future hiring?

No clue. If somebody leaves we'd probably replace 'em, but other than that I don't know of anything.

We've hired a couple of guys in the past six months to replace guys who moved on, but it's all been word of mouth.

I'll try to remember to post something if a slot opens up.

Any other air cargo companies in the twin cities area? besides you guys, airnet, and amf, any others come to mind?

Back