"Wilco"

Re: \"Wilco\"

Yeah, Mike, "good morning" is extraneous, but I've also found that 1.6 seconds of extra speech has done more to "grease the skids" for shortcuts/favorable routings/no holding/etc. than all the begging you hear other people doing. If the freq is really busy I'll drop it but I suppose that one bit of extra is my attempt to be a "nice guy".

Keep kicking @$$ over there ...

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll keep my check-ons to, "Washington, King Air 200KA, level two seven zero, good morning."
Sorry, but sloppy radio work is just a pet peeve of mine. </rant>
FL270

[/ QUOTE ]
Extraneous comm.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's extraneous, but I use it a lot, too, because I feel I get better service by using that nicety. Exception: when the freq is packed (some sectors of Chicago Center, for example), then I'll keep it as short as possible, quick verbage but understandable.

[ QUOTE ]
whats with the two-point-fife for fife-thousand. My instructor is trying to beat that into me, I'm not sure its correct.

[/ QUOTE ]That is a bad idea. "Points" are not to be used unless you're talking about frequencies.

Ask him to show you where that's stated in the AIM.
wink.gif
Then refer him to the sections of the AIM referenced in this thread above.

this seems especially complicated with the "FOR" five thousand. is that 45,000 MSL? Flight Level 45?

as a CFI in the lower altitudes, I try to discourage my students from using the phrase "for" or "to" in their communications..

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Mike, "good morning" is extraneous, but I've also found that 1.6 seconds of extra speech has done more to "grease the skids" for shortcuts/favorable routings/no holding/etc. than all the begging you hear other people doing. If the freq is really busy I'll drop it but I suppose that one bit of extra is my attempt to be a "nice guy".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's extraneous, but I use it a lot, too, because I feel I get better service by using that nicety. Exception: when the freq is packed (some sectors of Chicago Center, for example), then I'll keep it as short as possible, quick verbage but understandable.

[/ QUOTE ]

270/Steve C,

You know, upon further thought, there's nothing wrong with a little simple courtesy. It does go a long way and, is a small message of "thanks" for the job ATC does and the service the controller provided, and keeps all of us from sounding like mindless drones 24/7.

I happily stand corrected, gentlemen!

[ QUOTE ]
you know... after posting this, I thought of something. I have NEVER heard a Mooney report on a 45 entry. Are they placarded for straight-ins only?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because people by Mooney's because they want to go FAST.

[ QUOTE ]
as a CFI in the lower altitudes, I try to discourage my students from using the phrase "for" or "to" in their communications..

[/ QUOTE ]Although the use of "to", as in "climbing to" or "descending to", is part of the AIM suggested phraseology.

If one is careful to use it only in connection with "climbing to" or "descending to", it seems very clear.

[ QUOTE ]
you know... after posting this, I thought of something. I have NEVER heard a Mooney report on a 45 entry. Are they placarded for straight-ins only?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate getting 45 entries in a Mooney, for the sole reason that ATC expects you to keep your speed up in the pattern. A lot of controllers don't seem to understand that they're slippery lil buggers, and pattern speeds are on the slow side of 100 in order to get the gear and flaps out before you start descending again and bust Vfe.

Back on topic though...

I seriously don't think it's bad form to drop a nice "good morning" here and there to controllers. Sure, it may take an extra couple of seconds and it's not part of the stringent AIM guidelines, but courtesy is courtesy. They're people down there too.
smile.gif

You know what I can't stand is when the ATIS says good morning. Its one thing to give and recieve courtecy from ATC, but when I'm in a hurry to copy down the ATIS, a pre-recorded computerized voice isn't going to flatter me one bit. Its even worse when they jam as many words as possible into the message.

"GOOD--MOR--NING----CAUTION----BIRDS--FLYING--AROUND----IN--VICINITY---OF--THE--AIR----PORT------ADVISE--ON--INITIAL--CONTACT--WITH--THE--CONTROLING--AGENCY----YOU--HAVE---IN-FOR-MA-TION---JU--LI--ET"
mad.gif

I think it all depends on what is going on at the time. If there is a lot of traffic, I will say only what is nessary. If on the other hand, things are slow I am not adverse to a few extra words of thanks.

Also it is sometimes nessary to explain and take up more air time than normal even in very busy airspace. AS an example.

A/C Regional App. pipeline cutlass xxxx 2 south of downtown Ft Worth with Bravo.

App. Pipeline XXX squak xxxx ident and say request.

A/C Need to got to the southwest corner of the A/P then west airport road to the west control tower. Back to the southwest corner then to the Grapevine water tower and north west out of the area. Will remain below 800ft .

App. Pipeline xxx cleared into class B. traffic at Bell Hurst. Call before crossing the runways.

Now that is a lot of talking at DFW but it is nessary.

The main thing is to say what is nessary clearly and only have to say it once. Mumbles and [ ahhhh ummm I'v got to , oh wait I want to ummm ahhhh if it's not to much trouble etc. That drives me up the wall.

[ QUOTE ]

The main thing is to say what is nessary clearly and only have to say it once. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. And another thing is if the message isn't getting across, revert to plain english.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't see the need to say "Center" or "Approach" ... the controller certainly knows which one he is!

[/ QUOTE ]Saying the name of the facility is part of AIM-standard. I think the reason is to act as a cross-check that you have tuned in the right frequency.

"Washington Center. Cessna 1234X. Level 5500."
"Cessna 1234X, you're speaking to Podunk Unicom."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't see the need to say "Center" or "Approach" ... the controller certainly knows which one he is!

[/ QUOTE ]Saying the name of the facility is part of AIM-standard. I think the reason is to act as a cross-check that you have tuned in the right frequency.

"Washington Center. Cessna 1234X. Level 5500."
"Cessna 1234X, you're speaking to Podunk Unicom."

[/ QUOTE ]

True that. A couple of times I heard airliners on approach into PHX check in with SDL tower versus PHX TRACON (119.9 vs 119.2).

Back