"Wilco"

Re: \"Wilco\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[rant]
My pet peeve, though, is "any traffic in the area please advise" at uncontrolled fields. [/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]How about "any NORDO traffic in the area please advise"?

[/ QUOTE ]"Any NORDO traffic in the area please flash your lights"
grin.gif

When I've got an assigned heading or something of the like, I'll say just that. Like I've departed Ann Arbor and been assigned some heading, usually to the south to clear Metro if I'm going west. I'll call up approach with something like

"Approach Archer 5171 X-Ray with you out of 2,500 for 5,000 180 assigned"

Now they know I'm on the frequency after the handoff, and they should have an idea of where I am if they're expecting the handoff. They know how high I've gotten and where the last guy was taking me. I usually like to let them know my assigned heading so they don't think I'm just heading off into the middle of nowhere without a clearence.

CHeers

John Herreshoff

My private CFI beat the 'with you' out of me and now I plan to beat it out of my students too
wink.gif

I just don't see the point - it's obvious you're 'with them' by the fact you're talking to them. Should you also tell them you're a pilot flying an airplane?

[ QUOTE ]
"Approach Archer 5171 X-Ray with you out of 2,500 for 5,000 180 assigned"

[/ QUOTE ]How about this instead:

--Detroit Departure, Archer 5171X, LEAVING two thousand fife hundred CLIMBING TO fife thousand--

During initial contact, the fact you are using a full callsign is indicative that this is your first callup and you are establishing contact with the designated facility. Therefore, if you are using "with you" to let the controller know this is the first time you are calling her...well, they know.

Also, initially, the controller does not need to know your assigned heading.

Doug Brown, the Atlanta Center controller who writes for Avweb, once stated the following[ QUOTE ]

"Asheville Approach, Cessna 12345 level 6,000 direct PDK."

It always tickles me when pilots do that. Tell me they're direct somewhere or on a heading. I know where the habit of telling controllers your heading came from but I can't explain the "direct XXX." Let's check the book.

AIM 5-3-1.b

2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:

(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft's assigned altitude preceded by the words "level," or "climbing to," or "descending to," as appropriate; and the aircraft's present vacating altitude, if applicable.

I don't see anything there about "direct PDK." Anything about a heading? How about you?

[/ QUOTE ]Whether you like Brown or not, I think he has a point. The article can be read here: http://avweb.com/news/columns/186645-1.html

He goes on in another article about the likely origin of the "include heading on initial contact" routine:[ QUOTE ]
From my conversations with pilots here on AVweb, I've run into several professional pilots that believe telling a controller their assigned heading is required and/or a good practice when they check in. Again, refer to the book. Do you see it anywhere?

Of course, it could be our own fault. Controllers, that is. Does this sound familiar? "Contact Atlanta Center 132.97 and tell 'em your heading."

There are two reasons for that. Both of them are wrong. First, it's been common practice for years on the midnight shifts to put the box haulers on a vector for several hundred miles direct to their destinations. Oh yeah, we can do that when we're working a tenth of the airplanes that we work during the day. Anytime a controller puts an aircraft on a vector, the controller is required to coordinate that heading with the next controller (assuming the aircraft is to stay on that heading until entering the next sector). To avoid coordinating (lots of phone calls), controllers began telling the pilot to tell the next controller their heading when they check in on the next frequency.

What's that old saying? What were once vices are now habits? After being "trained" to do this for years, there are pilots who do it that way on every frequency change. Now that the box haulers are flying during the daytime, even more pilots are copying it.

[/ QUOTE ] Available here: http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182633-1.html

You may want to read the articles by Don Brown on AvWeb that have to do with how pilots and ATC work together. He is the Safety Representative at Atlanta Center. He specifically addresses the "With you" issue and what to say when checking in, in this article. He has a whole series of articles, which I found very enlightening as they gave me the controller's perspective on many issues like this. Especially interesting were his explanations in several articles of the impact on the ATC system of filing direct and several articles on using non-standard language. You can find the entire index of articles here.

[ QUOTE ]
My private CFI beat the 'with you' out of me and now I plan to beat it out of my students too
wink.gif

I just don't see the point - it's obvious you're 'with them' by the fact you're talking to them. Should you also tell them you're a pilot flying an airplane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. My instrument/commercial/multi instructor did the same. Every time I used "with you", I had to buy him his choice of vending machine product.
smirk.gif

Now it has become one of my biggest pet peeves. Actually, radio comms in general are one of my biggest pet peeves. Theres nothing I hate more than some knucklehead weekend warrior babbling on and on to approach as I'm waiting for my approach clearance and watching the localizer needle switch sides while he continues to yak.
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Radio discipline 3 Cs:

Clear/Concise/Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like your posts.
smile.gif

I've never used "with you". None of my instructors ever used it. I haven't found it in the AIM. I don't think I'll start using it anytime soon. I believe "full call sign, level/climbing/descending, altitude" is the preferred "check in" phraseology.

[ QUOTE ]
Radio discipline 3 Cs:

Clear/Concise/Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I actually "stole" that a long time ago and teach it to my students!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Radio discipline 3 Cs:

Clear/Concise/Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I actually "stole" that a long time ago and teach it to my students!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where'd you see it?

[ QUOTE ]
Stole it from you, I meant.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. I got it from an old Vietnam B-26 pilot who was my PPL instructor.

My Debriefs:

"Did fine on the short field today...remember to cross check the aimpoint/airspeed......oh, and....remember to keep the comm short on UNICOM, little too much grab-a$$ing on the radio there..trust me, it'll f$^k everything up...just wait until they get the TCA here [in PHX]........You know, back in 'nam, that'd always G$#@%m happen everytime we got into a G#$$#%m troops-in-contact....radios and comm discipline go to G#$@$m hell in a handbasket............

Here...let me introduce you to the tenants of comm discipline........these are known as the 3 Cs........"

And that's how it was passed on to me. Not only have I lived with and practiced that tenant, I eventually got to see first-hand how right he was about comm issues in TICs.

ESF, good on ya for handing it down.........
smile.gif

whats with the two-point-fife for fife-thousand. My instructor is trying to beat that into me, I'm not sure its correct.

recently, I was in the pattern of our uncontrolled field. A Mooney was coming in announcing "5 mile final, straight in, any traffic please advise"... you know. So, I was on downwind and I called back:

"Benton Traffic, Cessna 84DL, left downwind 33, I am not using my radio but I am looking for traffic in the pattern, Benton"

no response and later the mooney showed up on the 45 entry...
smile.gif

I wouldnt do this all the time and I dont fancy myself a pattern nazi, but at the moment, I just could not resist.

you know... after posting this, I thought of something. I have NEVER heard a Mooney report on a 45 entry. Are they placarded for straight-ins only?

Using "two point five" for altitudes is incorrect. Tell your instructor to back off. I will never use the words "to" or "for" on the radio, either, as they can be confusing. My departure call would be, for example, "New York, King Air 200KA one thousand climbing five thousand." Use "climbing" or "descending" instead of "for" and you'll be better understood by all.

And for God's sake, enough with "with you" ... the two most wasted words on the radio! "Checking in" is almost as bad. I also don't see the need to say "Center" or "Approach" ... the controller certainly knows which one he is! I'll keep my check-ons to, "Washington, King Air 200KA, level two seven zero, good morning."

Sorry, but sloppy radio work is just a pet peeve of mine. </rant>

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
I'll keep my check-ons to, "Washington, King Air 200KA, level two seven zero, good morning."

Sorry, but sloppy radio work is just a pet peeve of mine. </rant>

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Extraneous comm.

Back