Why no overseas forum section??

LOGS

It seems to me, more and more pilots and getting the clue that the best flying jobs out there are overseas. So why no overseas section? I found my job in India just by word of mouth and a forum for that could be very beneficial. Just a thought.

=Jason-

I'm kind of getting the clue too. If I could make it to germany, I would go in an instant! Seems like even with all the industry troubles, the european airlines still seem to do well and pilots are treated with worlds more respect than we are here.

Agreed. I've been wanting to fly for a non-us company for years. Finding information on these jobs is impossible through the internet it seems. I've only ever seen job postings for overseas gigs for 737, 747, and Airbus captains and the like.

The only way appears to be word of mouth. There are a few forums out there that have foreign sections, but they are usually only inhabited by 3000+ hour guys and are focused on the big jet jobs. Some might suggest PPrune but that place sucks hard. It may appear to be a great resource on the surface, but once you delve into it, the only advice of help you'll find if people saying "do a search". Of course if you actually do a search, all you'll get is the same "do a search" replies...

I think the whole forum based job searching paradigm is very disorganized. You've just got a bunch of data strung about across various places. What there needs to be is a central database of all companies, where they are located, what they fly, what the look for when they do hiring, what people's opinion of them are, etc. A wiki or something...

and pilots are treated with worlds more respect than we are here.

Yup.

Another reason I don't miss domestic.

But on the topic, I'd never turn down an aviation topic that would generate traffic. I'm not sure if we've got enough people "in the know" on the aspects of expatriate aviation.

We have some, but I'm not sure how often they log in.

You do have a few, and probably a ton more interested. I know it's why I've "defected to another board". Open it and they will come...;)

And, no the JAA forum is doesn't touch the surface. Ask Typhoon how much interest has been expressed...

"International Flying"? Nah, that's too broad.

"JAA" Nah, didn't work!

"Overseas jobs for people that are tired of being paid like shuttle bus drivers and treated no better than a food server at Chili's?" :)

Ideas man!

"International Flying"? Nah, that's too broad.

"JAA" Nah, didn't work!

"Overseas jobs for people that are tired of being paid like shuttle bus drivers and treated no better than a food server at Chili's?" :)

Ideas man!
Okay, contract, for hire bitches tired of paltry wages and looking to get paid while they can get the pay, even if it's overseas?

If that's too long, how about a contract pilot portion. Not necessarily overseas, but just contract in general. Yes, it's broad, but there's a lot to be covered. Trust me, they will come. You need a moderator, I'm about to have a bunch of time on my hands...:panic:

Okay, contract, for hire bitches tired of paltry wages and looking to get paid while they can get the pay, even if it's overseas?

If that's too long, how about a contract pilot portion. Not necessarily overseas, but just contract in general. Yes, it's broad, but there's a lot to be covered. Trust me, they will come. You need a moderator, I'm about to have a bunch of time on my hands...:panic:

Hopefully you wont have that much time on your hands and you come join us in Moscow soon!

Guys...at my company all openings are ONLY filled by word of mouth. We only hire people we know basically. Last three hires were all friends of the DO or CP with no types in the aircraft. All were sent to FSI. Get out there and network. Stone Cold knows what I am talking about.

Hopefully you wont have that much time on your hands and you come join us in Moscow soon!

Guys...at my company all openings are ONLY filled by word of mouth. We only hire people we know basically. Last three hires were all friends of the DO or CP with no types in the aircraft. All were sent to FSI. Get out there and network. Stone Cold knows what I am talking about.
I'll see ya in a couple of days. Check PM's.

How are you supposed to "get out there and network" for jobs on the other side of the world? In America it's easy because just about everyone know everyone else 2 or 3 degrees seperated. Worldwide, not so much.

Yup.

Another reason I don't miss domestic.

But on the topic, I'd never turn down an aviation topic that would generate traffic. I'm not sure if we've got enough people "in the know" on the aspects of expatriate aviation.

We have some, but I'm not sure how often they log in.

If you build it, they will come...

There are two separate and distinct forums possible for this. One would be "Foreign Airlines" and the other would be more corporate biased ( can't think of an appropriate title for that ). There are numerous foreign airline and foreign corporate opportunities right now. Those who know me may know that I moderate the foreign airline section on another website. I would also be happy to contribute to anything that Doug starts here.

I just saw an interesting graph at our check airman meeting today. It showed the nationalities of our current flight deck crew from 1998 to present. In 2002 there was only 1 American at EK. In 2003 there were a handful (myself included) and now there are over 150. It really wasn't until that late 2002/early 2003 time frame that Americans started going overseas in appreciable numbers, but since then it has increased significantly. It's only in the last year that I've started seeing a number of corporate guys turning up overseas. Russia, India, and the Middle East seem to be recruiting more and more in the corporate area, but that's not really my baliwick.

Typhoonpilot

That is the exact same way with the Indian company I'm moving out to. Only by word of mouth and I agree, without actually moving to some of these places its nearly impossible to know about them except maybe on forums where people can post openings, mins, etc etc.

=Jason-

well, I believe the best opportunities for American Pilots looking for jobs outside the US is probably China, India or (perhaps) Africa. Getting a pilot job in Europe is probably almost impossible for most US-Pilots, because the European Authorities are trying to protect their job market by making it very difficult for none EU-Citizens to get a job. In general one must have a European Passport and a valid JAA ATPL, and the conversion process is a very time consuming and expensive affair, not to mention that most of the European carriers require their pilots to speak their respective language fluently.

My #1 dream job would be flying for an airline in Europe. Odds are massively slim that'll happen since w/o sponsorship, no worky in the EU for me. Most, if not all, of those airlines won't sponsor you. Next is somewhere like the Middle East, India, Russia (yeah, it's HALF in Europe, I know), Japan, or somewhere else to hires ex-pats. From there it goes to Delta and SWA. Best part is I've already got the support and "Hell yeah, we'll move" from my wife....

global opportunities or ex pat flying?

i think we need to keep it all to one forum. we already have the jobs available section for posting jobs...all that's probably needed is a forum for conversation on how to get in to those types of jobs and networking conversation right?

Back