Why no overseas forum section??

My #1 dream job would be flying for an airline in Europe. Odds are massively slim that'll happen since w/o sponsorship, no worky in the EU for me. Most, if not all, of those airlines won't sponsor you. Next is somewhere like the Middle East, India, Russia (yeah, it's HALF in Europe, I know), Japan, or somewhere else to hires ex-pats. From there it goes to Delta and SWA. Best part is I've already got the support and "Hell yeah, we'll move" from my wife....

Not to mention it's usually a requirement to know the language of the airline, no problem for UK but might be in other places.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, man. Do you not speak Dutch? :)

Ever since I felt I had enough hours to secure a non-instructing job (500-ish hours total time), I've been googling and searching around forums for an expat job. Its been about a year and a half and I still got nothing. It appears the only way to get a foreign job is to know somebody who is already there (which is fairly rare unless you know a lot of people), or just up and fly out there and start asking around. An internet forum will not help at all in getting a foerign job.

You'd think there would be tons of demand for flying jobs in places like africa and the middle east, because #1, places like that need cargo flying and charter flights just as much as america does, and #2, those places are 3rd world, therefore not many qualified pilots in that area. Youd think there would be african employers begging americans to come over and fly for them, but apparently not.

Ever since I felt I had enough hours to secure a non-instructing job (500-ish hours total time), I've been googling and searching around forums for an expat job. Its been about a year and a half and I still got nothing. It appears the only way to get a foreign job is to know somebody who is already there (which is fairly rare unless you know a lot of people), or just up and fly out there and start asking around. An internet forum will not help at all in getting a foerign job.

You'd think there would be tons of demand for flying jobs in places like africa and the middle east, because #1, places like that need cargo flying and charter flights just as much as america does, and #2, those places are 3rd world, therefore not many qualified pilots in that area. Youd think there would be african employers begging americans to come over and fly for them, but apparently not.

I disagree with you. I have never met Stone Cold in real life. Only through this website and on the phone. We have become friends over time and I value his opinions and insight. I got him an interview at my company by walking in his resume to the CP. He is flying out tomorrow for his meeting and hopefully a job. Its just people helping people. I'm not saying its going to happen in the first ten minutes but over time, in communicating with Stone Cold I learned that he is the type of person I want to fly with and got him the face to face. It could happen to anyone!

If you need another LOR for Stone, lemme know.

Thanks. I am certain he will do just fine. Our CP is a "real world" person. He hates fluff. No suits and crap for tomorrow. Just sit down, relax, order a beer, and lets talk about flying. We know he can fly...he has the ATP with the LR60 type. Now we want to know if it will be fun going on the road for 30 days with him.

Right now at FSI we have five of our pilots here on recurrents or initials. He will get to meet all of them and they all will have a say in this.

Like I said, I know he will get the job. Its just gonna be an offer for the next available seat which could be in a week or a month. This industry is highly fluid so hard to tell. Our company just spent huge $$$ on this CL300 so it might be a month or so till we hire again considering we just hired two guys which are here at school right now. This month alone we sent five guys to initials and one to recurrent. That is mucho $$$. Anyhow...never give up is the key.

Doug, thanks for the LOR on Stone Cold. Nothing I already don't know. He is good people.

How are you supposed to "get out there and network" for jobs on the other side of the world? In America it's easy because just about everyone know everyone else 2 or 3 degrees seperated. Worldwide, not so much.
Haha. I have to laugh at this comment. Allen (fsiflyer) and I were just talking about this at lunch. Yes, it was our first time actually getting to shake hands and meet. Anyways, he asks about my plans, since I am now officially unemployed (my choice and it feels great). He brings up a person who is heavily involved in contract work for pilots and has her own web site.

I say, hey, I know her. I've been e-mailing back and forth with her about getting set up as a contract pilot. He says, "oh yeah, well you'll meet her tonight at dinner. She is our Contract CL-300 pilot." The contract world is even smaller than the US side of the house. So far, I have been to recurrent in the 60, and met one of Allen's co-workers at the time. Now, I am meeting a lady I have been e-mailing over contract stuff.

There is a network out there. You just have to make sure you pursue all options.

well, I believe the best opportunities for American Pilots looking for jobs outside the US is probably China, India or (perhaps) Africa. Getting a pilot job in Europe is probably almost impossible for most US-Pilots, because the European Authorities are trying to protect their job market by making it very difficult for none EU-Citizens to get a job. In general one must have a European Passport and a valid JAA ATPL, and the conversion process is a very time consuming and expensive affair, not to mention that most of the European carriers require their pilots to speak their respective language fluently.
There's a Lear 60 position in N Europe for a 3 month contract right now with FAA or JAA licences. There are numerous positions in just about every corner of the world looking for pilots. Yes, most require time in type. Where do you want to go? Europe? I was passed up for a job in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, due to needing recurrent soon (several months ago). Otherwise, I'd be in an apartment on the Med, living a good life.

Middle East? Not everybody's ball of wax, but most jobs I've seen over there are good paying 30 on/30 off jobs. So, you say you don't want to live in the ME for 30 days? Then, how are you going to qualify for tax free. Talk to a lawyer or accountant on this one. There are only two ways to have tax free expat pay.

Africa? Yes there are jobs there. Just do a search. China? I don't know why all you peeps getting furloughed are not all over there...lots of jobs there. There are other Asian contracts out there also. Where do you want to go today?

Why would people be begging Americans to come fly for them? Have you seen how whiny American pilots are? LOL. You need to do your research (not you in particular, just in general) in order to get the contacts to get overseas. I've been looking into this in earnest since last December, and will eventually end up overseas; whether it's N Europe, Moscow, or some other destination, only time will tell. Seek and ye shall find...

If you need another LOR for Stone, lemme know.
Thanks Doug...I really do appreciate that!!!

Thanks. I am certain he will do just fine. Our CP is a "real world" person. He hates fluff. No suits and crap for tomorrow. Just sit down, relax, order a beer, and lets talk about flying. We know he can fly...he has the ATP with the LR60 type. Now we want to know if it will be fun going on the road for 30 days with him.

Right now at FSI we have five of our pilots here on recurrents or initials. He will get to meet all of them and they all will have a say in this.

Like I said, I know he will get the job. Its just gonna be an offer for the next available seat which could be in a week or a month. This industry is highly fluid so hard to tell. Our company just spent huge $$$ on this CL300 so it might be a month or so till we hire again considering we just hired two guys which are here at school right now. This month alone we sent five guys to initials and one to recurrent. That is mucho $$$. Anyhow...never give up is the key.

Doug, thanks for the LOR on Stone Cold. Nothing I already don't know. He is good people.
It was good finally meeting you Allen. I look forward to dinner tonight. It should be interesting to say the least. And thanks for the kind words.

If I sounded a little condescending in any of this post, please forgive me. I just don't want to hear that there's no way to meet people. I've done it and haven't left my computer. I am continually amazed at how small aviation is and even more so when it comes to international "for-hire" gigs. You just have to seek it out.

As far as my joblessness, well, all I'll say is I did turn in a 2 week notice, and that in itself felt great. To have completed the 2 weeks, was a test of my fortitude and strength of my will. All in all, I had a great time while on the road (spent way too much time on the road, though), flew with some great people (and one not so smart one), and worked my butt off for over a year and a half. It's time to continue the journey. Good luck to all out there.

Haha. I have to laugh at this comment. Allen (fsiflyer) and I were just talking about this at lunch. Yes, it was our first time actually getting to shake hands and meet. Anyways, he asks about my plans, since I am now officially unemployed (my choice and it feels great). He brings up a person who is heavily involved in contract work for pilots and has her own web site.

I say, hey, I know her. I've been e-mailing back and forth with her about getting set up as a contract pilot. He says, "oh yeah, well you'll meet her tonight at dinner. She is our Contract CL-300 pilot." The contract world is even smaller than the US side of the house. So far, I have been to recurrent in the 60, and met one of Allen's co-workers at the time. Now, I am meeting a lady I have been e-mailing over contract stuff.

There is a network out there. You just have to make sure you pursue all options.

There's a Lear 60 position in N Europe for a 3 month contract right now with FAA or JAA licences. There are numerous positions in just about every corner of the world looking for pilots. Yes, most require time in type. Where do you want to go? Europe? I was passed up for a job in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, due to needing recurrent soon (several months ago). Otherwise, I'd be in an apartment on the Med, living a good life.

Middle East? Not everybody's ball of wax, but most jobs I've seen over there are good paying 30 on/30 off jobs. So, you say you don't want to live in the ME for 30 days? Then, how are you going to qualify for tax free. Talk to a lawyer or accountant on this one. There are only two ways to have tax free expat pay.

Africa? Yes there are jobs there. Just do a search. China? I don't know why all you peeps getting furloughed are not all over there...lots of jobs there. There are other Asian contracts out there also. Where do you want to go today?

Why would people be begging Americans to come fly for them? Have you seen how whiny American pilots are? LOL. You need to do your research (not you in particular, just in general) in order to get the contacts to get overseas. I've been looking into this in earnest since last December, and will eventually end up overseas; whether it's N Europe, Moscow, or some other destination, only time will tell. Seek and ye shall find...

Thanks Doug...I really do appreciate that!!!

It was good finally meeting you Allen. I look forward to dinner tonight. It should be interesting to say the least. And thanks for the kind words.

If I sounded a little condescending in any of this post, please forgive me. I just don't want to hear that there's no way to meet people. I've done it and haven't left my computer. I am continually amazed at how small aviation is and even more so when it comes to international "for-hire" gigs. You just have to seek it out.

As far as my joblessness, well, all I'll say is I did turn in a 2 week notice, and that in itself felt great. To have completed the 2 weeks, was a test of my fortitude and strength of my will. All in all, I had a great time while on the road (spent way too much time on the road, though), flew with some great people (and one not so smart one), and worked my butt off for over a year and a half. It's time to continue the journey. Good luck to all out there.

Message from Mike when I got to my room. Pretty much welcome to the G450 that is inbound. Hopefully within the next 30 days they will start processing your paperwork to come out. More info tomorrow at dinner tomorrow. BTW...the other captains, Karl and Mark think you are a cool dude and passed that along. Its not for sure yet in all the details, only due to timing but they think you had huge cajones for jumping on a plane and flying out and sticking next to the 300 with me while I was doing all the updates.

I keep telling you guys that networking works!

Spend less time arguing about crunchy versus poofy cheetos and more time looking out for one another! ;)

.....Doug, thanks for the LOR on Stone Cold. Nothing I already don't know. He is good people.

:yeahthat:

I remember Stone_Cold when he was flying the van out KSTP. Oh the joys of Minnesota in the winter. By the way, if you thought it was cold in MSP, how the hell are you going to take to cold in Moscow.....? :D

And if you meet him for breakfast at the IHOP, he will buy.

Couldn't happen to a better person. Go knock the bottom out of the interview! :nana2:

I remember Stone_Cold when he was flying the van out KSTP. Oh the joys of Minnesota in the winter. By the way, if you thought it was cold in MSP, how the hell are you going to take to cold in Moscow.....? :D

I'm further north than you.

So I'll be on 494W this weekend and next (going home for labor day), will I see your multi-million $$ crib from the interstate? ;)

$$$$$$$:laff:;)

And if you meet him for breakfast at the IHOP, he will buy.

Couldn't happen to a better person. Go knock the bottom out of the interview! :nana2:
Thanks Jim. I think everything went as well as I could hope. We'll see what the future has in store...I guess we'll have some formal discussions, in jeans this time:p, tomorrow night, from the sound of it.

Network network network. Does Dough need to say it again???;)

Back