Why Mesaba isn't hiring you.

You are right though, OP does have some useful information and perhaps I took the post the wrong way. However, as soon as I got the 'thanks but no thanks' email I discarded Mesaba in my mind anyway. If I'm not a good fit for them that is OK, I move on. I don't need to know the reason I was not offered an interview and I don't think another applicant needs to know why he WON'T be hired/offered an interview. '

So why did you open a thread titled "Why Mesaba isn't hiring you?"

<---This guy is drunk

I'm on vacation, and you didn't call. Now I'M hurt. :)

To some extent that is true, but as with aviation, it is important to maintain contacts in your backup industry. As mentioned in my post above, I know enough people in the engineering world that I could jump back in if I absolutely had to. It would be unpleasant, but I'd do it if I had to.

Maintaining contacts and work experience are key. A lot of people around here preach about non-aviation degrees like they're a magic bullet in case of furlough. Got a degree in business? You'll have a job if you get furloughed. At least, that's how people make it sound. Truth is, if you get furloughed with a business degree with no contacts or work experience, you've got a piece of paper with a fancy college's name on it.....which is exactly what I have with an aviation degree. My contacts are all in Orlando in the theme park industry. I could be right back into that tomorrow if I got furloughed, and it doesn't require a degree at all.

So why did you open a thread titled "Why Mesaba isn't hiring you?"

I did that not him.

Furthermore if you all read the first line of the thread it says "Wanted to get everyones attention all at once, forgive the title of the thread. I've had a lot of emails/phone calls about the hiring process and wanted to try and hit everyone at once."

I've asked for forgiveness already for screaming fire in a crowded room to get everyones attention. Apparently it got just enough attention to read the middle of my post and nothing more. If you can't forgive the title, then at least STOP asking the same question over and over again when I've already answered.

I'm on vacation, and you didn't call. Now I'M hurt. :)
Ah, forgive me my friend. Long 3 day over and wanted to hang out with my bud and his family during his post surgery. Ending up drinking with his dad and telling old war stories about his son, doing my best to embarrass him of course.

Long time friends and good whiskey. Best things in life are cheap.

Hey Joe,

I appreciate your efforts man. Nice work getting through to HR. You must have flipped when you heard someone on the other end of the line instead of a voicemail. I know you've been trying for weeks.

Hey Joe,

I appreciate your efforts man. Nice work getting through to HR. You must have flipped when you heard someone on the other end of the line instead of a voicemail. I know you've been trying for weeks.

Ditto.

Thanks for the effort man, it was good info. Too bad no good deed goes unpunished eh? :)

I was offered a job by Mesaba from a resume I sent their a year ago, I turned the job down. It doesn't pay enough, barely any of them do. Keep that in mind before you run off to join the nearest surviving regional.

I was offered a job by Mesaba from a resume I sent their a year ago, I turned the job down. It doesn't pay enough, barely any of them do. Keep that in mind before you run off to join the nearest surviving regional.

How much do you make?

Yeah, sounds like ur having more fun anyway by ur signature. Makes me miss the old 1900/navajo/super viking.

I don't know how to respond exactly that all regionals suck. I've actually worked at two now and I feel there are good places. Would love to get Zap to talk about this.

Just a moment of levity I'll add. If ppragman had taken the job he would be a captain right now making 2nd year pay in MEM or DTW. In december his hourly wage would be higher than 45 dollars an hour. I'm comfortable and happy and I have a union backing me and thats worth a great deal to me. In any case, life decision are life decisions and Part 135 seems like a great way to go these days. I may find myself back there in the next few years.

Yeah, sounds like ur having more fun anyway by ur signature. Makes me miss the old 1900/navajo/super viking.

I don't know how to respond exactly that all regionals suck. I've actually worked at two now and I feel there are good places. Would love to get Zap to talk about this.

Just a moment of levity I'll add. If ppragman had taken the job he would be a captain right now making 2nd year pay in MEM or DTW. In december his hourly wage would be higher than 45 dollars an hour. I'm comfortable and happy and I have a union backing me and thats worth a great deal to me. In any case, life decision are life decisions and Part 135 seems like a great way to go these days. I may find myself back there in the next few years.

I'm not saying that they all suck in terms of QoL etc. I just say that first and second year pay is sub standard for people who are responsible for 19 lives when I'm paid twice as much for being responsible for 5. Its stupid, I agree, and this isn't where I want to spend the rest of my career, but I would definately hesitate before I decided to go to a "real" airline.

I wouldn't because I'm too young, otherwise I would have bitten the bullet for a year and gone that route. When I have a offer I like, even if it means that I'll have to take a pay cut, I'll go to it, however, I just don't think its a good idea for everyone to think that $20/hr (or 22 I think at mesaba) is a good thing. If you're going to Mesaba, or any other regional for the pay then you'll be sadly disapointed. Plus, the regionals aren't the only route to the airlines. I know plenty of guys who worked in 135 for a few years then went to Delta/Northwest/USair/FedEx/UPS/Atlas/etc. The point of my post is that the regionals aren't the only route to the majors, if that's even where a guy wants to go. Does everyone have to be a United Captain or the like? No. That shouldn't be everyones goal, it should be merely one of an infinite series of possible choices. What I'm saying is who cares if Mesaba won't hire you, you're not suddenly barred from entering the "real world of big jets," seems like this whole community has the idea that flying 747s is the only way to be a real man. Well I've got news for you, there is much more fulfilling flying out there than being a whale rider.

In the words of Christopher Walken... God FOOOR you!

You've got a CL65 - LR45 type per your profile, you've got more tt than i probably do, what's holding you back? Go read the 60k plus home every night thread if you're that worried about it.

Well isn't that just nice. . .good for your ppragman. Stick to your convictions, you'll go places.

He asked, I'm not trying to brag, but a sarcastic comment was really not necessary. If you think I'm satisfied with driving 207s around then you've got another thing coming, this is just a stepping stone. I'm intent on going places, and so is everybody else in aviation I run into, just because you're not satisfied with where you're at doesn't mean you have to take it out on me.

You've got a CL65 - LR45 type per your profile, you've got more tt than i probably do, what's holding you back? Go read the 60k plus home every night thread if you're that worried about it.

I'm not sure where you get the idea I'm dissatisfied. Extremely happy with my current situation as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't because I'm too young, otherwise I would have bitten the bullet for a year and gone that route.
Ok well thats a little silly. You say you would have gone the mesaba/regional route if you weren't too young for the upgrade after riding around on the high horse.

Anyway, you obviously made the choice that's right for you and God knows I would have loved to had one like it when I was your age. I'd get to wear my walmart jeans and button down plad shirt and sandle-shoes. I hate uniforms and shaving. Anytime you wanna come have some beers and memphis and tell me some war stories the rounds are on me.

I don't know where the 747 thing came from. Well I do know, it came from you. Either it's a leftover argument you have with yourself or someone else. Point being, I don't care and I didn't bring it up. I want to fly whatever gives me some job security and a good pay, damn the airplane. Who wants to bet me if i made everyone answer the question by show of hands you'd find more hands up than you think?

Hmmm, appreciate the info, but if that's the criteria, I still have no idea why I got the "no thanks" email. I meet all of that criteria perfectly except for maybe the recency of experience one. I've been out of the jet cockpit for like 3 months. I was out of any cockpit for over 6 months before I got hired at Trans States and I had no problem at all hopping back in but oh well. I'm moving on to a stable career doing just about anything but flying an airplane around.

Everybody run out and get that 4 year degree so you can pull down 18k a year on a turboprop or a barbie jet.

I have better advice. If you have a degree outside aviation that is worth a damn, then use it outside aviation. You will more than likely make more money in the long run. If you don't have a degree and that is the only thing keeping you from getting a job at some crappy regional, then wait a year or so. I would imagine it is only another year or two before the fabulous Mesaba is taking people with a wet multi and mirror fogging skills.

College degrees are wayyyyyy over rated in this profession. You can and will get jobs without them.

Let the flaming commence.

Back