Why did larger airliners move away from tail mounted engines?

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Shower thought here. With all the NEO, and Max reengineering to add larger turbofans why did tail-mounted engines disappear?

Larger engines? Why not do what the Russians did on the AN-72?

220px-Ukraine_National_Guard_Antonov_An-72_at_Zhulyany.jpg

If you need to use unimproved runways, sure.

The engineer answer is better to put the engines on the wing. You can make a lighter structure that way - unlike fuel, the engines never get lighter in flight. That sells more airplanes, when you have the weight savings to cram in more seats.

Because with ETOPS there isn’t a need for the 3rd engine and its associated larger fuel burn.
Well, ETOPS was supposed to be the rarest of exceptions to fit odd and unusual circumstances, yet, somehow the bean counters got it so muddled that most people now think it's perfectly normal to cross a large body of water with only one spare ... Three engines, as opposed to the "old" norm of four was actually fairly controversial.
I suppose, with the superior reliability of modern engines, I shouldn't feel resentful, the gathered data should be just as correct as the data for the MAX. Nevertheless, we still travel to Europe every couple of years and I always spend the few extra $$ on ID-90 to ride LH or BA 747s... :)

View attachment 50167

We (unlike the Soviet Military) don't have a tendency to take our aircraft mudding on a regular basis. Some of the design specifications common to their aircraft were requirements to extremely austere conditions maintained at a lot of their airfields. Plus that buys you nothing in regards to maintainability for servicing. You still need a very big ladder vs the hanging pod type designs common with western aircraft.

To the original post about tail mounted engines. Keep in mind that engine diameters have increased significantly as the progression to larger bypass turbofans has developed. That would mean a loss of available airflow over the tail and a wider spread of disturbed air for which to have to calculate in control design.

Well, ETOPS was supposed to be the rarest of exceptions to fit odd and unusual circumstances, yet, somehow the bean counters got it so muddled that most people now think it's perfectly normal to cross a large body of water with only one spare
I believe the term you are looking for is the "normalization of deviance."

Though I'd go sit out overwater in a 757, 767, 777, 350, or 330 all day long.

Well, ETOPS was supposed to be the rarest of exceptions to fit odd and unusual circumstances, yet, somehow the bean counters got it so muddled that most people now think it's perfectly normal to cross a large body of water with only one spare ... Three engines, as opposed to the "old" norm of four was actually fairly controversial.
I suppose, with the superior reliability of modern engines, I shouldn't feel resentful, the gathered data should be just as correct as the data for the MAX. Nevertheless, we still travel to Europe every couple of years and I always spend the few extra $$ on ID-90 to ride LH or BA 747s... :)
I guess you won't be going to Europe much longer :)

Back