Why Be A Pilot?

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a question for the masses.

Why do you want to be a pilot, and what kind of pilot do you want to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I want to fly? Because when I'm flying I'm free of all the toubles of the world. They get left on the tarmack.

What kind of pilot do I want to be? Safe, but fun and one who never takes for granted what flying is.

1. I want to be a professional pilot because I love being around the airport, I love to fly, I love to push buttons, I love the smell of it, and I like to be able to do something that a lot of people are not able to do.
2. A safe,old, gray pilot that lives in Texas.

Smokey

Damn Smokey, You want to be me.

60 yrs old what little hair I've got is white and
I live in Texas.
grin.gif

And trust me. It ain't all that great!

1) Why do you want to be a pilot?

I want to be a pilot because I love flying - no other way to describe it. I do not see myself sitting in a 7 X 7 foot block all day long staring at the computer screen. My grandfather was a WWII pilot and fighter pilot trainer, father a CFI/ATP, and two uncles that flew for hire all their lives. I've always flown planes with my father and rode in the back seat of 172's and Duchess' behind him and his students. Flying is in my blood.

Here is a pic of me and my dad on my Grandfather's final flight in a T-6 (his primary plane in WWII when he was a flight trainer). I think I was 1 1/2 years old:

Jason_Dad.jpg

2) What kind of pilot do you want to be?

A pilot for hire - that's IT! Don't care if it's corporate or in the airlines. As long as I make enough money to afford a medium-sized house and to satisfy my car enthusiast-related urge for a real sports car.

[ QUOTE ]
A) Always been interested in aviation - I grew up around the airlines and flying - and I figured I'd better give it a try now (23 at the time I "said" that) and if it doesn't work I can always go back to journalism.

B) A happy pilot. Money is secondary to QOL. Obviously I'd like to be paid well/fairly but the closer I get to actually working as a pilot the more important QOL is becoming to me for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 602 said . . . just sub '25' for '23' and 'photographer/carpenter' for 'journalism.' Other than that, he's right on!
smile.gif

1) I've wanted to be a pilot ever since I saw "Memphis Belle" at eight years old. While nobody in my family works in or is even remotely involved in aviation, it quickly became an obsession. Lining up my toy C-130 on a row of encyclopedia books (read: imaginitive runway) is still a vivid memory from my childhood.

2) Airline pilot. That is my goal. It's certainly not to say I wouldn't be happy in another division of aviation (corporate, cargo, etc.), but the airlines ARE my goal, and I fully intend to attain it.

But not only an airline pilot, but a "professional" pilot, in terms of my manner and approach to the work. "By the book", as much as that saying holds true, anyhow. Friendly, sharp, cool and collected when the goin' gets rough ... Yeah.

Oh, and I can't wait till I'm a fifty-five year old triple-seven captain. "Clean cut, bit of a gut." The ideal captain image.
grin.gif

1) Ever since I can remember I wanted to be associated with flight. When I was little every time I went to the youth fair down here in Miami I'd always get a helicopter ride before I left (they use to have them at the entrance of the fair). I knew that was a big factor, but also the flight-sim in 95 as well as commercial flying here and there and just the overall excitement of going out to Miami Int'l and watching those big jets land.

The question shouldn't read why do you want to be a pilot, the question should read why shouldn't you be a pilot???

2) My ultimate goal in life is to make it to the majors with a high seniority and a good social life and to fly for the reserves on a nice sized F16 or F18 or whatever it may be; I’m not that picky. As my life continues I don't see why I can't achieve it, after all I'll be an MEI before I get out of high school (scary).

Clem

[ QUOTE ]
a good social life and to fly for the reserves on a nice sized F16 or F18

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they come in different sizes?

1) For the same reason that most people want to be pilots. There's just something about being around the airport, taking off, and shooting around through the sky. For the non-pilots, aviation is just another means of transportation. For pilots, it's a passion. You definitely know it when you have it.

2) My goal is to become an airline pilot, but I'm not really limiting myself. I'd be more than happy flying cargo or corporate. It's definitely the only thing that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

[ QUOTE ]
1) I've got bills to pay.

2) None, but I'm obligated since I signed a contract..

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL MikeD?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL MikeD?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. kidding...
laugh.gif
Early April fools?
smile.gif

1) One of the few things I do OK.

2) Ag flying, forest firebombing, merc flying somwhere....

....and I have bills
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL MikeD?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. kidding...
laugh.gif
Early April fools?
smile.gif

1) One of the few things I do OK.

2) Ag flying, forest firebombing, merc flying somwhere....

....and I have bills
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...and a contract?
grin.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a question for the masses.

Why do you want to be a pilot, and what kind of pilot do you want to be.

[/ QUOTE ]I've always thought i'd be in the aviation community for some reason or another.. who knew it'd actually happen!
laugh.gif

I've wanted to be a pilot or pilot's wife since seeing the first plane fly low over the top of our house on the hill (in wisc).. it was so low, i could see the landing gear come down and was just fascinated...

then it was affirmed when I started going to the airport and doing the "wayne and garth" thing of watching the airplanes atop the car roof in front of the landing runway (I didn't have any $$ or guts to ask my parents for any training, so i'd just watch)...

then the real clincher was when doug and I were watching the planes out in front of the MCO runways (watching the planes come down) when i told him to sh*t or get off the pot
tongue.gif
.... hahahhahaha - too bad they don't have watch areas in phx like they do in mco
frown.gif

but i've always wanted to be a pilot's wife
grin.gif
...I want to be the kind of pilot's wife that encourages the young to follow their dreams and encourages my husband to help them follow those dreams...cuz man - if i had the wherewithall that you guys do, i'd be a pilot too...maybe...
crazy.gif

1. pilot wise- I love the magic of it, the transitions and feelings of flight to me are what dreams are made of.

2.career wise- I wanna fly for a living and travel the world for free, there is a respect thing too...

1) Most of my family are pilots. I grew up flying in gliders, barons and various other aircraft. I graduated college not knowing what I wanted to do. After spending 3 years in a cubicle, I know I want to do something else. Flying is something that is tangible. Flying is something that I feel I'm good at and can be very rewarding. I once thought money was all that mattered but now I want to wake up everyday anxious to go to work rather than dread it.

2) I'm not too picky. I would much rather end up flying corporate or fractional vs. the airlines. However, it would be hard to pass on an offer from Skywest or Horizon!! At this point I can't be too picky as to where I want to end up.

1) Why? Because I was one of those stupid kids that stood there looking at every plane that flew over. Come to think of it, I still do.

2) What kind? I want to be the guy that flys where he wants to, when he wants to, and doesn't care about the cost. I'd rather not be someone else's bus driver (airline) or limo driver (corporate.) But I will ALWAYS be a CFI. No greater thrill than watching someone learn to fly, and feel the poem that goes something like this:

"Yes, I have slipped the surly bonds of the Earth, have soared with the Eagles, witnessed a sunrise from above the clouds, have reached out with my hand and touched the naked face of God."

That's a paraphrase because I don't feel like googling right now. Somebody else can find the correct verse for me please?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
High Flight
by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew.
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
...put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back