Who moved your cheese?

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I want to talk about a subject that only a very few professional pilots are able to escape over the course of their careers, and that subject is being happy with changing expectations. I've been listening to various pilots talk about their careers quite a bit lately whether they be the regional airline pilots who are kind enough to extend the courtesy of their jumpseat, major airline pilots from various backgrounds, and corporate pilots. What I've learned by listening is that there are several generations of pilots flying today and each of those generations has had its own challenges that have shaped the direction of those pilots' careers. Let me share some simple examples.

The first group I want to talk about were flying for the major airlines in the mid to late 1980s. When Eastern airlines went out of business in 1991 the market was flooded with highly experienced airline pilots. This group started over time and time again as did many of their colleagues from places like Braniff or were furloughed for an extended period of time like those who were furloughed from USAir in the early 90s.

This is a group who had become accustomed to having their cheese moved.

The civilian pilots who started flying in the early to mid 1990s typically started out flight instructing for upwards of a thousand hours. Many of them the went on to fly night freight or some other time building enterprise required to reach the magic 1500TT/500ME requirement that was somewhat of an industry standard during that period. For a few, that requirement was reduced to closer to 1100-1200TT if they were willing to invest in a Comair or FSI pay-to-play program.

This generation of pilots began moving to the major airlines during the hiring boom that began in early 1999. They subsequently lost their new jobs during the thousands of furloughs that followed the 9/11 attacks. Over the next decade some of them would find their way to other major airlines, some to startup airlines or LCCs, some went back to the commuters, and some explored careers in corporate, 135, or out of aviation altogether. In the mid-2000s some of them started making their way back to the majors they were furloughed from, only to be furloughed again.

This too is a group that has become accustomed to having their cheese moved.

Post 9/11 the regionals grew explosively as scope clauses were all but eliminated in bankruptcy era contracts. As a result, the pilots who started their flying careers post 9/11 watched as their own flight instructors quickly moved to the regional airlines. This generation raced from training in light single and multi engine airplanes to the right seat of regional jets in only a few hundred hours. For many it wasn't unusual to see them upgrade before they had spent two winters at the airlines. And, as the industry returned to good health many of them moved on quickly to the majors or legacy airlines.

This group has never had their cheese moved.

The final group were those who started flying in the mid to late 2000s. They too were hired quickly by the regionals but instead of seeing the rapid career progression that they were sold, they saw stagnation at their regionals. Inability to move up and inability to move on.

This group is just learning what it is like to have your cheese moved.

It would be really easy to segue here into a discussion about how pilots enable their own whipsaw. How our willingness to undercut one another is a result of our own competitive nature. But that's not where I'm going with this.

Why is it that someone who has been furloughed 3 or 4 times, or who has watched their once great airline dissolved can be happy starting over at 40+ years old, but a younger pilot whose career might be hitting his first speed bump can't handle it?

I flew on the jumpseat of a regional jet not long ago with a first officer that by all rights the captain should have kicked off the trip. This gentleman was completely disinterested and disengaged in the performance of his job. No matter how hard the captain tried, this guy would barely mumble through the checklist or a bare minimum briefing. When he did speak up it was to lament that he was still in the right seat after 6 or 7 years and that he wasn't getting a call from jetBlue or Spirit or United.

I met another pilot recently whose carrier had been merged into another and the merger didn't go so well for him. After the seniority integration was complete he had lost his seat and been forced to commute. He was furious, even though he still had what was by all rights a good paying job with a good quality of life. That's not to say he shouldn't have been upset about being forced to commute. But how is that any different than that Braniff pilot or Eastern pilot or Emery pilot who found himself out of work when his airline went out of business... and starting over commuting to a new domicile at another airline.

Most ex Comair pilots I run into handle what happened to them with dignity and grace. They're happy to have a job even if it meant starting over.

Having your cheese moved - your expectations of what your career might have been changed - is frustrating and can be disappointing. You can be left wondering "what if" and trying to figure out how to get back what you had lost. You want to blame someone, but the problem is, it's just aviation. It has always been this way except for a few lucky pilots in one or two of the generations that have managed to climb quickly enough and high enough on their respective seniority list to be insulated the cycle.

Even that though wasn't enough to protect a 55 year old Eastern Captain, or a 40 year old two-time furloughee from United.

So I suppose I should get to my point. Most of you guys know me and could probably recite the list of airlines that I left in my wake as well as I could. I don't come to work with an attitude because guys who I worked with at an LCC in 98' are thousands of numbers senior to me today. I don't begrudge my classmates at USAir their upgrades. I'm happy for them! Jealous? Sometimes, sure. But I don't let it cloud my life because at the end of the day I'm still flying airplanes for a living and keeping food on the table.

My cheese has been moved as much as anyone else's. I'm just used to it. There are a few generations that haven't experienced it, or that are just starting to experience it. To you I just want to say relax. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Run your own race. In all likelihood you will see a furlough... or a strike... or a bankruptcy... or a merger... or a shutdown. Very few go through a career without seeing one. Your cheese will get moved.

Maybe you'll be in the street for a few years. Maybe your upgrade will be delayed. Maybe you'll have to commute or move to a new domicile. That's aviation guys. Ask the guys at the Darden flight department in Orlando that was closed suddenly a few weeks ago. They thought they had that job for life. Getting your cheese moved is part of the profession we have chosen. You can choose to be miserable, or you can make the best of it and move on.

OR, you can do what I did and make a change. There are a lot of guys here who have done it. I went back to the airlines when my cheese got moved. ATN_Pilot is taking over his family business because his cheese got moved. If you are that unhappy, then DO something about it!

I've flown with those guys too - the ones who won. I know the Captain's Alpaca ranch in Montana and his turbine Bonanza look appealing, but just save a few pennies here and there and know that if the company goes tango uniform you won't have to eat Alpaca meat to survive.

Stuff happens. I'm sorry you have to commute when you didn't before. Or that you're an FO now, when you've been a captain for years. Or that you're starting over at airline number four. I've been there and I know how you feel. But don't make life miserable for the people around you. We are all on this ride together and, for better or for worse, it still beats working for a living doesn't it?

Next time they move your cheese, just shake your head, laugh it off, and write a story about it to share with your kids someday. I'm on page 169 of mine.

I want to talk about a subject that only a very few professional pilots are able to escape over the course of their careers, and that subject is being happy with changing expectations. I've been listening to various pilots talk about their careers quite a bit lately whether they be the regional airline pilots who are kind enough to extend the courtesy of their jumpseat, major airline pilots from various backgrounds, and corporate pilots. What I've learned by listening is that there are several generations of pilots flying today and each of those generations has had its own challenges that have shaped the direction of those pilots' careers. Let me share some simple examples.

The first group I want to talk about were flying for the major airlines in the mid to late 1980s. When Eastern airlines went out of business in 1991 the market was flooded with highly experienced airline pilots. This group started over time and time again as did many of their colleagues from places like Braniff or were furloughed for an extended period of time like those who were furloughed from USAir in the early 90s.

This is a group who had become accustomed to having their cheese moved.

The civilian pilots who started flying in the early to mid 1990s typically started out flight instructing for upwards of a thousand hours. Many of them the went on to fly night freight or some other time building enterprise required to reach the magic 1500TT/500ME requirement that was somewhat of an industry standard during that period. For a few, that requirement was reduced to closer to 1100-1200TT if they were willing to invest in a Comair or FSI pay-to-play program.

This generation of pilots began moving to the major airlines during the hiring boom that began in early 1999. They subsequently lost their new jobs during the thousands of furloughs that followed the 9/11 attacks. Over the next decade some of them would find their way to other major airlines, some to startup airlines or LCCs, some went back to the commuters, and some explored careers in corporate, 135, or out of aviation altogether. In the mid-2000s some of them started making their way back to the majors they were furloughed from, only to be furloughed again.

This too is a group that has become accustomed to having their cheese moved.

Post 9/11 the regionals grew explosively as scope clauses were all but eliminated in bankruptcy era contracts. As a result, the pilots who started their flying careers post 9/11 watched as their own flight instructors quickly moved to the regional airlines. This generation raced from training in light single and multi engine airplanes to the right seat of regional jets in only a few hundred hours. For many it wasn't unusual to see them upgrade before they had spent two winters at the airlines. And, as the industry returned to good health many of them moved on quickly to the majors or legacy airlines.

This group has never had their cheese moved.

The final group were those who started flying in the mid to late 2000s. They too were hired quickly by the regionals but instead of seeing the rapid career progression that they were sold, they saw stagnation at their regionals. Inability to move up and inability to move on.

This group is just learning what it is like to have your cheese moved.

It would be really easy to segue here into a discussion about how pilots enable their own whipsaw. How our willingness to undercut one another is a result of our own competitive nature. But that's not where I'm going with this.

Why is it that someone who has been furloughed 3 or 4 times, or who has watched their once great airline dissolved can be happy starting over at 40+ years old, but a younger pilot whose career might be hitting his first speed bump can't handle it?

I flew on the jumpseat of a regional jet not long ago with a first officer that by all rights the captain should have kicked off the trip. This gentleman was completely disinterested and disengaged in the performance of his job. No matter how hard the captain tried, this guy would barely mumble through the checklist or a bare minimum briefing. When he did speak up it was to lament that he was still in the right seat after 6 or 7 years and that he wasn't getting a call from jetBlue or Spirit or United.

I met another pilot recently whose carrier had been merged into another and the merger didn't go so well for him. After the seniority integration was complete he had lost his seat and been forced to commute. He was furious, even though he still had what was by all rights a good paying job with a good quality of life. That's not to say he shouldn't have been upset about being forced to commute. But how is that any different than that Braniff pilot or Eastern pilot or Emery pilot who found himself out of work when his airline went out of business... and starting over commuting to a new domicile at another airline.

Most ex Comair pilots I run into handle what happened to them with dignity and grace. They're happy to have a job even if it meant starting over.

Having your cheese moved - your expectations of what your career might have been changed - is frustrating and can be disappointing. You can be left wondering "what if" and trying to figure out how to get back what you had lost. You want to blame someone, but the problem is, it's just aviation. It has always been this way except for a few lucky pilots in one or two of the generations that have managed to climb quickly enough and high enough on their respective seniority list to be insulated the cycle.

Even that though wasn't enough to protect a 55 year old Eastern Captain, or a 40 year old two-time furloughee from United.

So I suppose I should get to my point. Most of you guys know me and could probably recite the list of airlines that I left in my wake as well as I could. I don't come to work with an attitude because guys who I worked with at an LCC in 98' are thousands of numbers senior to me today. I don't begrudge my classmates at USAir their upgrades. I'm happy for them! Jealous? Sometimes, sure. But I don't let it cloud my life because at the end of the day I'm still flying airplanes for a living and keeping food on the table.

My cheese has been moved as much as anyone else's. I'm just used to it. There are a few generations that haven't experienced it, or that are just starting to experience it. To you I just want to say relax. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Run your own race. In all likelihood you will see a furlough... or a strike... or a bankruptcy... or a merger... or a shutdown. Very few go through a career without seeing one. Your cheese will get moved.

Maybe you'll be in the street for a few years. Maybe your upgrade will be delayed. Maybe you'll have to commute or move to a new domicile. That's aviation guys. Ask the guys at the Darden flight department in Orlando that was closed suddenly a few weeks ago. They thought they had that job for life. Getting your cheese moved is part of the profession we have chosen. You can choose to be miserable, or you can make the best of it and move on.

OR, you can do what I did and make a change. There are a lot of guys here who have done it. I went back to the airlines when my cheese got moved. ATN_Pilot is taking over his family business because his cheese got moved. If you are that unhappy, then DO something about it!

I've flown with those guys too - the ones who won. I know the Captain's Alpaca ranch in Montana and his turbine Bonanza look appealing, but just save a few pennies here and there and know that if the company goes tango uniform you won't have to eat Alpaca meat to survive.

Stuff happens. I'm sorry you have to commute when you didn't before. Or that you're an FO now, when you've been a captain for years. Or that you're starting over at airline number four. I've been there and I know how you feel. But don't make life miserable for the people around you. We are all on this ride together and, for better or for worse, it still beats working for a living doesn't it?

Next time they move your cheese, just shake your head, laugh it off, and write a story about it to share with your kids someday. I'm on page 169 of mine.

Hold on a minute... along with all the other benes, you airline guys get CHEESE, too??!

Did you just read the book or what? Kind of a weird phrase to just throw around so much on an aviation forum.

Nope. Heard a few guys talking about it on the crew Van and decided to run with it.

I agree with the intent of your post, being happy with change doesn't just have to do with aviation though. That's life. EVERYTHING.

I feel like the older guys who deal with it better just have much more experience with their expectations not being met and them just having to move on. It's like high school kids thinking their first breakup is the end of the world, you don't have any other experiences to compare it to and it is the end of the world...as you knew it before. You get older though and have more experiences and hopefully deal with things better in the future. Unfortunately not everyone does, and what I believe is a lot of those people have had it too good for too long and don't even realize it. If you haven't had a job outside aviation you probably don't realize how good you have it.

What's interesting is how many people who HAVE had it bad don't look at it that way. I think the majority of that response just boils down to life experience. You can tell a teenager all day that losing their first love is no big deal, give them all the self help books you can find, it probably won't make an impression until they've got some more experience.

I agree with the intent of your post, being happy with change doesn't just have to do with aviation though. That's life. EVERYTHING.

I feel like the older guys who deal with it better just have much more experience with their expectations not being met and them just having to move on. It's like high school kids thinking their first breakup is the end of the world, you don't have any other experiences to compare it to and it is the end of the world...as you knew it before. You get older though and have more experiences and hopefully deal with things better in the future. Unfortunately not everyone does, and what I believe is a lot of those people have had it too good for too long and don't even realize it. If you haven't had a job outside aviation you probably don't realize how good you have it.

What's interesting is how many people who HAVE had it bad don't look at it that way. I think the majority of that response just boils down to life experience. You can tell a teenager all day that losing their first love is no big deal, give them all the self help books you can find, it probably won't make an impression until they've got some more experience.

I think the old timers are like Red during his parole board meeting... resigned to the idiotic forces largely beyond his control, yet concurrently, strangely redeemed by his very resignation. "You go ahead and sign your form sonny, 'cause to tell you the truth, I don't give a xxxx."

My cheese has moved twice so far, but I must partially blame myself. I had my first lesson in 2002. Could have been hired with a wet commercial multi, some of my friends did it, one of them is flying for Frontier now... I like to say that I had standards, who wants to eat moldy cheese? Once it picked up again I made it to 1000 hours the very same month the government mandated bar raised.

On the plus side, I've done some pretty cool things in the meantime and I have faith that they will pay off in the future. I'm ready to nibble at the cheese, I hope it doesn't move again in the next few months. If it does then I guess I'll have to make some pretty tough decisions.

I've often wished there was something, anything, else I loved as much as this. But alas, there isn't.

Last edited:
If you haven't had a job outside aviation you probably don't realize how good you have it.

I think that's part of it too. People who graduated from Riddle (aviation school brand Y or whatever) and went straight to a regional just don't have the frame of reference with respect to how good a pilot job is. There are challenges, sure, but there are challenges in any job.

My worst day at ASA was better than my best day at SofterWare or adidas America. Not even close with adidas. That job SUCKED. $25,000 a year for a database analyst. Horrible boss. No flexibility. God it brings back nightmares...

Great post, @ZapBrannigan!

The past few months I've been doing a lot of self-reflection on my life and career to-date (and I'm a young guy of 31). I've had my cheese moved more than once, and while a number of my comrades are getting on at Legacy carriers, I'm at an ACMI with a CBA in need of improvement. I also have zero TPIC. Does it make me jealous that others have had better opportunities? Like you, my answer is "Sure, sometimes." Heck, on occasion I've vented my frustrations on this very forum.

But, I think it's important to take a step back and count our blessings, so to speak. Remember that happiness in life is not tied to who you work for, and as long as you have your basic needs met and pursue your interests and passions outside of the cockpit, your career should not affect that happiness. I like the quote: "I am not my career!"

To bring up an excellent post by @Tld a while back, being happy in this career (or any career) is absolutely a conscious effort, and requires mindfulness of your own attitudes and emotions. If you feel yourself becoming angry about your W2 or your lack of progression, realize it and channel it into a productive effort (join a union committee!). The worst thing anyone can do is allow themselves to be led around by their own anger about their company, CBA, etc., and let it seep into their lives outside aviation. Or worse yet, complain in the van about how you'll "only make $150k this year" within earshot of the driver making $8/hr (saw that happen a few months back).

Anyway, I don't mean to get all hippie on you guys. Just some reflections about my own career thus far.

You think that's funny, but in 2000 USAir gave us all a wheel of cheese for Christmas.
We still have the tin and it is used to store stuff.

Good post. When I was at ALG, one day the CEO of US Air took a trip in 1994 and saw the commuter fleet. The next day half the fleet was parked for good and people were losing their jobs. I was slated to not only be downgraded but to be furloughed. At the last minute someone quit and I kept my job, but was downgraded. Those who were furloughed went to Valujet or SWA and you know where they now landed. I stayed, and eventually upgraded in 1997 but decided I could not stand it by 2001 and left. In my new hire class, there were only two of us who left jobs to go there. Everyone else came from a tale of woe--one failed airline after another. I was low time with 11,000 + hours compared to some of them! The upgrade time was less than two years and everything looked wonderful. Two weeks later planes crashed into buildings and we were furloughed. The company promised they would try to recall in 4 months and they kept the promise. But the upgrades never happened. Every other airline got government help but we didn't. I didn't get the upgrade until late 2007. I had to take a commute from PHL to SJU to do it. But if I flew another second with a CA who felt the need to teach me how to fly, I knew I was going to kill someone! Then the phony oil speculation hit and I was downgraded in Sept 2008. I figured I could hold being #2 in the base near home, so I took it. We are paired for a month. I was flying my first month with a great guy, John Costa. He had a terrible cough and finally his wife insisted he call off a trip and go to the MD. He was diagnosed pretty quickly with lung cancer. That was his last flying and he passed away after a valiant battle in Feb, 2011. I am thankful that I got to fly with him as he set my head in the right place so I didn't want to kill any more captains. Finally, in May 2010 I got the upgrade again. As soon as I was on the line, we went on strike.

Every day I am grateful for what I have. My cheese has moved, but I am stronger for it.

Last edited:
Back