Who is retiring soon?/ Age 60/65 rule...

Re: Who is retiring soon?

...without studying how it would affect so many peoples careers.

Talk about a meaningless comment. The effect on "people's careers" was not even a consideration. The ONLY factor was that the U.S. wanted to remain a member of ICAO. Have you EVER heard of the Supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution? Google it and get back to us.

From your comment, it is patently obvious you are a young guy who has some sort of sense of entitlement. Why are YOU entitled to an upgrade OR a position at a major airline? Just because YOU planned your progression on a discriminatory law (Age 60) doesn't REQUIRE that law to be in place when you expect to benefit from it.

Laws change all the time, Son. In 1859, you could legally own human slaves in this country. In 1865 you could not. Is it your impression that just because you owned human slaves in 1859, you should have been able to continue to exercise that "right" in 1865?

Once upon a time, women could not vote. Then the law changed.

Your assertion "career expectations" should have been a factor in the Age 65 decision is extremely one-sided. Has it EVER occurred to you that YOUR career has been extended 5 years as well? And it was extended at the peak earnings age? So your expectations have been delayed. Poor baby.

I guess your attitude is to be expected from the "instant gratification" generation. Here's a suggestion. Pay your dues. Look at it as an apprenticeship that will pay dividends in the end. Some icy, crappy winter night when you're sitting in the left seat you may be glad you had a few additional years of right seat experience.

Its on those nights, you look to the left and all you see is your reflection in the window.

I know one guy who has been retired from Alaska for 10 years. This guy is in such good shape he'd shame EVERYONE of you who read this forum. The only reason he's gone is the Age 60 rule.

The only reason he's gone is the Age 60 rule.

Fine by me.

Many things slip away with age. I have zero desire to have a 65-70 year old captain calling the shots up front. The guy should be worrying about taking his Plavix, not landing airliners.

Talk about a meaningless comment. The effect on "people's careers" was not even a consideration. The ONLY factor was that the U.S. wanted to remain a member of ICAO. Have you EVER heard of the Supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution? Google it and get back to us.

From your comment, it is patently obvious you are a young guy who has some sort of sense of entitlement. Why are YOU entitled to an upgrade OR a position at a major airline? Just because YOU planned your progression on a discriminatory law (Age 60) doesn't REQUIRE that law to be in place when you expect to benefit from it.

Laws change all the time, Son. In 1859, you could legally own human slaves in this country. In 1865 you could not. Is it your impression that just because you owned human slaves in 1859, you should have been able to continue to exercise that "right" in 1865?

Once upon a time, women could not vote. Then the law changed.

Your assertion "career expectations" should have been a factor in the Age 65 decision is extremely one-sided. Has it EVER occurred to you that YOUR career has been extended 5 years as well? And it was extended at the peak earnings age? So your expectations have been delayed. Poor baby.

I guess your attitude is to be expected from the "instant gratification" generation. Here's a suggestion. Pay your dues. Look at it as an apprenticeship that will pay dividends in the end. Some icy, crappy winter night when you're sitting in the left seat you may be glad you had a few additional years of right seat experience.

Its on those nights, you look to the left and all you see is your reflection in the window.

You obviously weren't affected as adversely either. That is crystal clear after reading your post. You could care less. You got yours.

I don't need you to tell me to pay my dues, or explain to me how I expect instant gratification. If I expected instant gratification I'd be flying at GoJets, buy a job at Gulfstream, buy myself 500 hours in an A320 over in Europe, or buy a job at RyanAir.

Your post is completely off base, and meaningless in terms of reality for the majority of pilots. It shows how out of touch you are!

Comparing the change in retirement age from 60 to 65 to Women's Suffrage, and Slavery (are you mentally handicapped? Serious question, not an insult) to something that basically happened overnight with no study, no planning at airlines resulting in massive furloughs which occurred in a worsening economy to boot.

Not everyone wants to work until they die. My post had nothing to do with instant gratification, or "career expectations." It had to do with how poorly the new age 65 mandatory retirement age was implemented.

You write,

Just because YOU planned your progression on a discriminatory law (Age 60) doesn't REQUIRE that law to be in place when you expect to benefit from it.

Just think about what you wrote. I actually have no idea how old you are. You might be 30, or 40. The law changed from 60 to 65, no impact study, no slow implementation increasing the mandatory retirement age ONE year at a time. It was rammed down everyone's throats by the folks who have been sitting at the top of the seniority lists because it BENEFITED THEM.

Lastly. Instant gratification generation? Jealous that my generation had the opportunity to grow up during one of the greatest eras in history? I would be jealous too if I was part of your generation. Your generation can never have enough, you always want more than you can afford. Charge it! The next generation will pick up the tab. The AARP generation now is basically stealing from my generation, and those to come with your terrible economic behavior, which is indiscriminate in political affiliation or mindset.

So not only has the mandatory retirement age been changed to 65, it might get changed to 70. I will work until I die paying off the debt your generation has incurred now.

Thanks dude.

Keep my seat warm.

I know one guy who has been retired from Alaska for 10 years. This guy is in such good shape he'd shame EVERYONE of you who read this forum. The only reason he's gone is the Age 60 rule.
One last input here...for that guy, there are 20 or more that should not be in command of a piper cub. Where are those stats Dough posted a while back when Age 65 was coming in to effect, about the medical DQ of pilots apporaching age 60....I'll search for it tomorrow, if you want.

You obviously weren't affected as adversely either. That is crystal clear after reading your post. You could care less. You got yours.
That statement is at least as true as his assertions about younger pilots.

But I can say it doesn't really impact me at all. I'm sitting out the "pausing" of everyone's careers on furlough.

I'm going to get furloughed in a few weeks, so thats probably an effect this had on me. However, it is the ICAO standard.

Hey, my career expectations were delayed by 5 years too. You just don't hear me whimpering about it.

Grow up.

Hey, my career expectations were delayed by 5 years too. You just don't hear me whimpering about it.

Grow up.
My career expectations have been delayed.....or canceled for that matter (furloughed from an ever shrinking airline with not much hope of a call back)

Velo's for age 65 as long as their an ALPA pilot...otherwise, send 'em to retirement homes...

Nice cheap shot, outsourcer. You and your coworkers are doing a pretty good job of eliminating ALPA jobs.

I'm going to get furloughed in a few weeks, so thats probably an effect this had on me. However, it is the ICAO standard.

EXACTLY. Why should foreign pilots over age 60 be able to fly in U.S. airspace when U.S. pilots cannot.

AND the fact that we HAVE to conform to ICAO standards to remain members. I guess our "boy" forgot that minor fact. You think you're career expectations are reduced now, how would they look with NO international flying AND unlimited cabotage?

Better sign up with the truck driving school.

Back