Who is retiring soon?/ Age 60/65 rule...

Re: Who is retiring soon?

Hey, my career expectations were delayed by 5 years too. You just don't hear me whimpering about it.

Grow up.
And what career expectations are those? You are a captain, correct? At a smaller airline, right? So, what career expectations were you expecting, other that better schedules?

Personally, once again, I could care less. I am overseas, and if I ever return to flying in the US, it will be in business aviation, not the airlines. I have seen, indirectly, how the airlines treat each other, and do not care to fly for the airlines. I would rather have my flight department shut their doors than have an AA/TWA debacle affect my career.

I do not think you are being genuine in your response, though. As has been pointed out, what studies were done to adopt Age 65? It was hastily thrown together to appease ICAO.

Sir, how about you grow up in your responses. Act your age, instead of acting like a 5 year old...

I know one guy who has been retired from Alaska for 10 years. This guy is in such good shape he'd shame EVERYONE of you who read this forum. The only reason he's gone is the Age 60 rule.

haha, a 70yr old huh.. you wanna put some money on that:D

Nice cheap shot, outsourcer. You and your coworkers are doing a pretty good job of eliminating ALPA jobs.

I like the quick edit...did you think of that one yourself, or did you look it up in your handbook? Your cred...down the drain...

Hey guys---I think the sooner you younger ones realize that "life's not fair," and that what's the rule today ISN'T the rule tomorrow--the happier you'll be in your life.

Hey guys---I think the sooner you younger ones realize that "life's not fair," and that what's the rule today ISN'T the rule tomorrow--the happier you'll be in your life.

I'm happy and take one day at at time. I don't live by anyone's set of made up rules, especially ones that were made up 30 years ago...life is fair. We each make our own bed.

And what career expectations are those? You are a captain, correct? At a smaller airline, right? So, what career expectations were you expecting, other that better schedules?

Exactly. Perhaps I don't want to fly all-nighter turns for another 5 years. Or red-eye transcons. But that's all I can hold. Maybe I'd like some nice Mexico layovers in the winter. Perhaps I'd like to be able to see my kid's sports events. Or go to their weddings/graduations. But, I can't hold any of that.

I do not think you are being genuine in your response, though. As has been pointed out, what studies were done to adopt Age 65? It was hastily thrown together to appease ICAO.

But, that's the point. There was NO reason to do any studies. It was passed under the ICAO gun. So, the entire premise of his argument is invalid.

Sir, how about you grow up in your responses.

Sorry, I have a low tolerance for immature drivel.

Wah! I got screwed by Age 65! WAH!

Great job guys.

Take your pissing match to the PM's.

Age 60 (65) Rule

Another thread was shut down but I just REALLY want to clarify something.

The reason the law was changed from 60 to 65 was to keep up with ICAO and the rest of the world. The FAA really had no choice but to get on par with world standards or get booted out of ICAO.

Stinks, I know! But nothing we can do about it but move on. Not worth getting one's blood pressure raised up over it.

Re: Age 60 (65) Rule

Why is 65 such a big deal in the 121 world? The two best pilots I know are pushing 70.

Guys who have the t-shirt are worth their weight in gold, unless that gold is the form of bars on their shoulders it seems.

Why is 65 such a big deal in the 121 world? The two best pilots I know are pushing 70.

because it added 5 more years of top ramen for a lot of people.. thats why its a big deal to us.

I was looking forward to retiring with benefits at 60 (55 preferably). However, as the CBAs evolve, I'm sure early retirement will be a minimum of 60. :mad:

I understand following ICAO, and the political importance of it, but I don't want to die in a seat.

because it added 5 more years of top ramen for a lot of people.. thats why its a big deal to us.
But what makes pilots more special than every other industry where there isn't a mandatory retirement age? What makes a pilot better than a unionized nurse, steel worker, or teacher?

I don't get the double standard I guess.

"Typical ALPA response"..........EXACTLY!!
Alpa is such a scam. But don't worry. They provided 'protection'....riiiight.

I don't see where you guys get off with "typical ALPA" whatever.

Tell me what you know about some of the main driving forces behind changing the rule?

Personally, I think it's an abortion, I've spoken my peace about it but in the long term, it is what it is. I can bellyache and pull out my hair about the rule, but then I'll just end up a bald guy with diverticulitis.

Back