Which Watch? :)

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy next to me in the office was just wondering if they make a watch that picks up the atomic clock signals out of Boulder and adjusts the time automatically from time zone to time zone... that would be the bomb!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Casio's Waveceptor line keeps your time accurate via those WWV transmissions, but I don't know of any watch that can detect what time zone you're in.

[image]http://store1.yimg.com/I/sportsunlimited_1764_7805415[/image]

Cost $40, basically indestructable, 2 timezones, chrono, timer, 5 alarms, you can leave memo's to yourself, and you can turn the light on just by flicking your wrist.

For the cost of the Breitling you can buy this watch and a used motorcycle... Or a big screen tv w/ surround... Or a two week long cruise for two people... A nice pair of skis and the vacation to go with them... A very nice laptop...

I guess I just don't get it.

I'm wearing a Timex Expedition with digital indiglo. I'm going to agree with Eagle on this one.

It's the same watch I wear when flying, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I always manage to bang my watch on the fuselage, shut it in the airplane door, have the strap break and lose it on some airport ramp, etc. So, I only buy $10 Eckerd watches ... same theory I have with sunglasses. I destroy them in short order while working, so I have a hard time justifying spending a lot of money on watches or sunglasses.

FL270

1. I have on my wrist a Gucci 5505 series
fw03_tp_009012_09664_0081-full-5.jpg

2. I wear my gucci, but I want to get a g-shock for flying.

3. I really want the Movado Eliro
0604183.jpg

I kind of collect watches ...

I have three Storm (of London) watches. (A green face, a blue face and a flip open)
A Fossil, limited edition, Superman Watch
A Skaagen Titanium
And my Citizen.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My buddy next to me in the office was just wondering if they make a watch that picks up the atomic clock signals out of Boulder and adjusts the time automatically from time zone to time zone... that would be the bomb!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Casio's Waveceptor line keeps your time accurate via those WWV transmissions, but I don't know of any watch that can detect what time zone you're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the watch i have....i live in South Florida and just set it next to the window every night. All it needs is a somewhat unobstructed view towards CO. I think the tower is located in Colorado Springs, not Boulder. It must have some serious voltage running through it. It only shoots out a Zulu time signal.

[ QUOTE ]
1. I have on my wrist a Gucci 5505 series

3. I really want the Movado Eliro

[/ QUOTE ]With tastes like that, you should expect a PM from gay_pilot18 any minute now.
grin.gif

I wear one of those silver Timex analog watches. I always fly with it, too. I swear it brings me luck...or maybe I'm just overly superstitious.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
2. Timex Indglo "Expedition".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, baby!!!!

1. Timex Expedition
2. Timex Expedition
3. Timex Expedition

I have replaced bands, batteries, had fights, dropped it down hills.....I've never had the watch break!!! I've owned two of them. The first on was worn so bad that I couldn't get a new band to stay....

So I got one with the metal case and band!!! BURY ME WITH THIS THING!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to agree with Eagle on this one...
So, I only buy $10 Eckerd watches ... same theory I have with sunglasses. I destroy them in short order while working, so I have a hard time justifying spending a lot of money on watches or sunglasses.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm with Eagle and FL270 here. Something simple, cheap, and easily replaceable. Current watch is a Casio something or other. The one before that was a Timex Indiglo.

My requirements are: digital, 2 time zones (can't always figure Zulu time correctly before my second cup of coffee), illumination, and a timer. Oh yeah, less than $20.

Haven't needed an E6B on any flights since before I got my ratings, not sure why I'd want one on my wrist.
smirk.gif

My wife won't let me wear any of my watches when I'm in a suit and we're going somewhere nice.
grin.gif

1. Omega Seamaster AquaTerra

2. Timex Internet Messenger

To answer aloft's question of a watch that knows time zones, this is it! It has a SkyTel pager built into the watch, and it gets a time and timezone signal from the pager towers around you. Usually, I get a timezone change beep descending through about 20,000 feet at a new airport. Right now, if you buy one, you get a years worth of pager service free too! See timex.com for more info.

3. I guess the Omega is enough, I can't see spending any more for a watch

[quoteHaven't needed an E6B on any flights since before I got my ratings, not sure why I'd want one on my wrist.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhh....you're gonna let the cat out of the bag!!!! How will we ever get students to learn it now??? What's next, the NDB approach???
grin.gif

I use my E6B on an almost regular basis. Fly someplace where Density Altitude is important and you get pretty good at using that little gizmo.

The one on my watch I could take or leave. The reason I like the Skyhawk is all the time zones, alarm functions and the fact I don't have to replace batteries every 6 months - it runs off of indoor and outdoor light.

The "slide rule" on it is really just a gimmick. It's not a full E6B because it's just a time/distance/speed/fuel calculator. But the actual functions of the watch - that's another story.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I use my E6B on an almost regular basis. Fly someplace where Density Altitude is

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, man...sorry...it was just a joke...believe me, I appreciate the E6-B
grin.gif

But come on, the NDB part was funny, right??
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But come on, the NDB part was funny, right??

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole thing was funny. I was just pointing out the one on the watch really is a gimmick more than a functional tool.

But I agree wholeheartedly - any "navigation" system that becomes unreliable, or is easily susceptible to interference, in bad weather - the only time you need to use the damn thing - should be burned, ritually deficated on and burried as deep as possible.
laugh.gif

I haven't done an NDB approach outside of the simulator since my college days. Most of them have GPS overlays (or a GPS approach to the same runway) so even at Podunkville USA I haven't had to do a pure NDB in forever, nor will I probably ever have to again (except at Simuflite, of course!). The King Air I fly has three GPSs, two of which are IFR-certified, so I'm not worried about them konking out. Only way I'm in trouble is with a dual inverter failure, which in the King Air is exceedingly rare, but if it were to happen loss of the GPS would be low on my list of things to worry about!

I haven't used an E-6B since college either (except for teaching students how when I was a CFI). DUATS does all my flight planning, and flying turbines, runway numbers are easy. Pull out your QRH, go to the takeoff charts, enter with your pressure altitude, temperature, flap setting, and weight, and in the corresponding little box you get all your V speeds and runway required, as well as target power setting. If you're going in to somewhere tight (short runway, high elevation, etc) you do those numbers before landing to make sure you can get out, or if you need to take a reduced fuel load, etc, to be safe to depart.

FL270

Pilot602:[ QUOTE ]
But I agree wholeheartedly - any "navigation" system that becomes unreliable, or is easily susceptible to interference, in bad weather - the only time you need to use the damn thing - should be burned, ritually deficated on and burried as deep as possible.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What the H is "ritual defication"? Awww, nevermind. Don't want to know.
grin.gif

Back