Where's everyone going?

"What buisness or college anywhere in the country gives you the websites of their critics"

I guess that's part of my problem with the whole thing, maybe you're your right. DCA is just a business that's out to make money. As such, it's not their job to educate those intersted in entering the piloting career. But we are talking about peoples lives and job expectations, here.

My problem has always been that we are dealing with something I see as sacred. Teaching people how to fly an airplane. Mentoring those who seek a career in aviation. It's not something, in my view, that's "just business". It's much bigger than that to me. To mislead folks with propaganda should be the realm of the used car salesman, not a career flight academy.

If DCA included jetcareers at their website, I'd cease to be a critic.

ironically enough the PR guy at DCA used to be a used car salesman. he must have been an atypical one tho b/c he actually will solve any problem you have. i never had a problem he couldnt fix besides the overcost thing but then thats not his doing. i have nothing against the guy at all hes really nice i just thought it funny that you mentioned used car dealers

DE727UPS said:
A perfect example is at the PanAm website. They have a section there called "industry news". It only contains positive news stories about who's hiring and expanding. No mention of the negative issues with Chap 11's or fuloughs. It's wrong to have an "industry news" section and only show one side of the picture.

Have them watch CNN.... I think any educated person looking at getting into this industry already gets enough bad news about this industry. Do you think the news media presents any good news about some industry growth??? Maybe, they put that there to educate people that there is some good news in this industry at the regional level. Where are they going to go for good news??? I think since you are in this industry, you should tell some of the positives as well as people are already going to get the negatives by watching the news and reading the papers!

I think, the fact that the regional's are hiring is pretty good news! And if anyone is aspiring to become a pilot, there are jobs available at the regionals. Also, approximately 2300 pilots per year will be retiring from the majors between now and 2017! The fact, that regional airlines are still purchasing newer jets to add to their fleet every month! For every 1 new RJ, that means 10 new crewmembers! Plus you have major airlines like UPS, FEDEX, Southwest, America West, jetBLue that are hiring now! ASA had 1800 pilots a year ago and have been hiring 35 pilots a month over the last year and still have 1800 pilots because they are losing pilots to the majors and International airlines! That is just one Regional airline! DO you want me to go on!

"DO you want me to go on!"

You sould like a DCA marketing ad. But yeah, tell me more. What's your background again? Are you still at DCA?

tomahawk1 said:
I think, the fact that the regional's are hiring is pretty good news! And if anyone is aspiring to become a pilot, there are jobs available at the regionals. Also, approximately 2300 pilots per year will be retiring from the majors between now and 2017! The fact, that regional airlines are still purchasing newer jets to add to their fleet every month! For every 1 new RJ, that means 10 new crewmembers! Plus you have major airlines like UPS, FEDEX, Southwest, America West, jetBLue that are hiring now! ASA had 1800 pilots a year ago and have been hiring 35 pilots a month over the last year and still have 1800 pilots because they are losing pilots to the majors and International airlines! That is just one Regional airline! DO you want me to go on!

Kit Darby jr?

Of course they're hiring. It doesn't take much to make a profit when the pilots are making less than a 7-11 clerk.

Today, 01:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk1

Kit Darby jr?

Of course they're hiring. It doesn't take much to make a profit when the pilots are making less than a 7-11 clerk.

Hey, I'm just making my point. DE727 wanted me to explain that there is positive news in the regional markets. He seems to think that people who are interested in this industry need to know the negatives only and that there is no positive news. Also, he seems to think that people don't watch the news or read the newspapers about furlough's and bankrupt airlines.

DO you want me to go on!"

You sould like a DCA marketing ad. But yeah, tell me more. What's your background again? Are you still at DCA?

My background is business management and econics. I have worked in the general aviation for 4 years and worked for Delta Air Lines for 5 years.
No that you want me to go on I will.
Regional airlines are expected to grow over 24% over the next 2 years.
Regional airlines are helping the major airlines in their current restructuring.
over 80% of the deliveries of aircraft to North America over the next 20 years will be regional jets.
Regional jets are forcasted to gain over 20% of airiline market share over the next 20 years.
Regional jet fleets will grow from over 2500 aircraft to over 5000 aircraft over the next 20 years.

I can still go on if you want!

tomahawk1 said:
My background is business management and econics.

Is that related to colonics? :D
No that you want me to go on I will.
Regional airlines are expected to grow over 24% over the next 2 years.
Regional airlines are helping the major airlines in their current restructuring.
over 80% of the deliveries of aircraft to North America over the next 20 years will be regional jets.
Regional jets are forcasted to gain over 20% of airiline market share over the next 20 years.
Regional jet fleets will grow from over 2500 aircraft to over 5000 aircraft over the next 20 years.

I can still go on if you want!
O.K, but is there any good news for the piloting profession in there somewhere?

Duh! Those facts mean more jobs!! Don't make me put a sarcastic remark in here, please!

"O.K, but is there any good news for the piloting profession in there somewhere?"

There is if you aspire to work at a regional the rest of your life.

"He seems to think that people who are interested in this industry need to know the negatives only and that there is no positive news"

I think it's important to make sure newbies understand what's going on and they aren't gonna get that if they just read the big academy ads. I asked you your background cause you sound like a DCA marketing ad and not someone who's been in the outside world and working as a professional pilot. I'm sure you're sucking them right into DCA with you're positivity while Delta declares bankruptcy, cuts back on Comair flying, and sells off ASA.

Perhaps part of my problem is I see how this profession was 20 years ago and hate to see it going down the toilet. If I was just getting started and didn't know how it used to be, I might have lower expectations out of this career and see the good in all the shiny new jets.

"There is if you aspire to work at a regional the rest of your life"

what would be so bad about working at a regional your whole life? i have a friend thats a sixth year capt at expressjet that in the past two years hasnt spent more than 1 night away from home in a row. he sees his wife every day and makes plenty of money. whats wrong with that?

tomahawk1 said:

Duh! Those facts mean more jobs!! Don't make me put a sarcastic remark in here, please!

Let me spell it out for you:

Read that a little more carefully and you will realize that what it says is that regional airlines are growing, mainlines are shrinking. How is the replacement of mainline jobs with regional jobs good for the piloting profession? It ain't.

No sarcasm intended or needed, thank you. Also no smilies.

steve c

i still want to know whats so bad about the regional growth for someone coming in? i realize that i will never make the 350k that delta pilots could get up to only 2 years ago but it still seems like the payscale will go pretty high to me.

"what would be so bad about working at a regional your whole life? i have a friend thats a sixth year capt at expressjet that in the past two years hasnt spent more than 1 night away from home in a row. he sees his wife every day and makes plenty of money. whats wrong with that?"

There is nothing wrong with that if that's what you aspire to but it's not the major job I assume most people who get into biz were expecting. Would your friend be happy if he never moved beyond his current job?

There are jobs right now in the majors and in the major cargo markets. DE727 you should know that. Your airline is hiring right now. If I have to repeat one of my posts because people are not reading it thorough enough, then here goes: UPS, FEDEX, DHL, jetBlue, Southwest, America West are hiring, to name a few. Not to mention a lot of Asian airlines and European airlines. If one wants to go that route internationaly. Sure the industry is changing and having to adapt to higher gas prices and low fare airlines, but the fact is that people have to fly. The WORLD fleet of airline passenger aircraft (not including cargo) will grow from 16,816 (now) to 38,457 by 2023. In the US, that growth is from 6,831 (2004) to 11,225 in 2023. That would definately indicate more passenger traffic. Which means a lot more pilot jobs over the next 20 or so years! SO you don't have to stay in the regionals for very long as regional pilot if you don't want to. Just had a close friend of mine get hired on by Southwest earlier this year!

tomahawk1 said:
Hey, I'm just making my point. DE727 wanted me to explain that there is positive news in the regional markets. He seems to think that people who are interested in this industry need to know the negatives only and that there is no positive news. Also, he seems to think that people don't watch the news or read the newspapers about furlough's and bankrupt airlines.

Alrighty, that's fair. I take back my sarcastic comments then.

"Would your friend be happy if he never moved beyond his current job"
yup he already had the chance to move up to continental and chose to stay. he likes where he is. hes making over 60K hes 27 and didnt go to college.

Back