Where's Doug Been?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Where\'s Doug Been?

dakak.jpg

We just got back from vacation/belated honeymoon/anniversary Alaskan Cruise!

More later!

Re: Where\'s Doug Been?

Doug,
When did you get married? guess it was a while ago hence anniversery. Well a belated congrats. looks like ya did good.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, thats awesome! I soooo want to go to Alaska sometime!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's actually in Yuma, Arizona. That's just a movie set behind him.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were just waiting for someone to say something about Alaska so you could say that, weren't you?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were just waiting for someone to say something about Alaska so you could say that, weren't you?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You got me!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Hey, don't diss Yuma, Arizona. That place is rad! I always had a good time visiting my Dad in Yuma. Flying weather is great... 360 days of sunshine every year!

ahhh... thought I'd modify that flying comment. Flying is great... as long as you're not holding too long for takeoff during the summer.

The outside air at 115 felt like a refrigerator pouring through the little "clear!" shout window on the left side of the 310 while we sat there broiling. Yeah, that sucked.

We went on a 7-day cruise on Holland America.

Flew SWA from PHX to SEA, rented a car, drove to YVR and hopped on the "Ryndam"

First night was at sea. (eat, drink, eat eat eat)

Second night was through the inside passage of British Columbia (eat, drink, eat eat eat). We hung out with a group of Australian 20-somethings, discovered that you don't want to drink anything in the ship's bar called "Wang Wang" because you'll have a monstorous hangover -- and you cure that hangover by "...hey mate, get some toast, spread vegamite, butt-tah, vegamite and eat it quick" (eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink)

Third day we docked in Ketchikan, AK. We took a flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords which was absolutely KILLER. Our floatplane pilot was a UPS 747 SO/ex-National on "extended leave". (eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink)

Fourth day we docked in Sitka, AK. We went on a semi-submersible boat with a glass bottom and checked out all of the sea life. Holy crap there's a lot of stuff down there!
smile.gif
Also, toured a tidal pool and saw lots of starfish, sea cucumbers and crabs almighty. (eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink)

Fifth day we docked in Juneau, AK. Went on a excursion and saw lots of whales, sea lions fighting over a buoy and enough bald eagles that I'm more than convinced that you could swing a bat anywhere in AK and hit about fifty per swing. There are probably more bald eagle in AK than there are pigeons in NYC. (eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink)

Sixth day we docked in Haines, AK. It was a cool, almost New England-style village and I guess we were one of the first cruise ships that docked there. Very cool. (eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink)

Seventh day we stopped about a half mile from Hubbard Glacier. Apparently, it's one of the most active glaciers in the world and the sound of the 'calving', the sight of large chunks breaking off every minute and the humongous SPLASH with the resulting waves rocking the ship was fantastic. 400 feet tall peaks on the glacier, WOW!

Eigth we disembarked in Seward, AK, had a three hour bus tour enroute to Anchorage. Didn't really have any big plans (or ideas) how to get back to PHX. We didn't want to wait around ANC until midnight for the Delta flight so I bought Kristie an "ID-90" on Alaska Airlines ANC-SEA and a "ID-90" on SWA SEA-PHX and got home before the Delta flight even left! Woo! I just did the jumpseat thing but got to sit with her.

I HIGHLY suggest going to Alaska before you're an old fart.

Heck, if I were looking at building flight time, I'd head up and fly float planes! That floatplane pilot has the coolest job on earth and I got to see more real "flying" in 1 1/2 hours than I've seen my last 7 years of being an airline pilot. It's a big reminder that I'm more of a systems engineer than a pilot -- that turbine Beaver is slicker than anything. I even got to sit in the cockpit during the trip, what a treat!

[ QUOTE ]
I even got to sit in the cockpit during the trip, what a treat!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is really funny! It shows that no matter how much you fly, how long you have been at the game, or how old you are, there is something in aviation that will put the same smile on your face that you had on when you were 10 and had just been on a tour of the cockpit on your way accross the Atlantic.

[ QUOTE ]
enough bald eagles...

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagle...

[ QUOTE ]
large chunks breaking off

[/ QUOTE ]

Chunk...

[ QUOTE ]
fart

[/ QUOTE ]

Iain...

Hey, where's my props?
laugh.gif

Mad props to the Copa!

Mrs. Taylor reminded me that I forgot to add-in after "eat, drink, eat eat eat, drink" was "hit the disco with the Aussies".

A few words to the wise, Aussies have livers the size of Volkswagens -- do not, I repeat, do NOT take drink recommendations from our bretheren from down under! Especially when it's one guy and four women, and one of the women is 6"2'!

Good to have you back and congrats!

Sounds like it was a COOL
smirk.gif
time over there. AK is on my list of vacations and have a free cruise from my time share to use, and it's either AK or tropics.

Did you get to fly the water ship?

Nope, didn't get to fly the float plane! Probably would have scared the passengers because only one person knew I was an airline pilot!
smile.gif

Oh, forgot to mention a couple of other things about the cruise.

They had "Rockin' Rolldies" night in the disco, and I'm not sure where the band was from, but it was so hilarious to hear them perform "Lock around the crock tonigh', we gonna lock lock lock 'til brah dayright, we gonna lock, lock around the crock tonigh'"

That, plus, one night the Aussies requested "Men At Work" and they went absolutely NUTS. You'd think they'd hate the song, but holy crap!!

Copaman you must have missed it:

[ QUOTE ]
Beaver

[/ QUOTE ]

Copaman

Aussies spend a lot of time practicing their drinking, and it certainly does show!

Lock and Lol mon!!
grin.gif
That's too funny. It is quite humorous to see songs sung like that, that's ok, they are doin' their best to entertain and theyr'e not falling short!

Rots o ruk...

Good to see some of my fellow country men... and woman, offered some drinking advice Doug
laugh.gif
We're only to happy to help of course!

So... did were you brave enough to try Vegemite??

You should see what happens in a club down here when they play Land Down Under

He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
enough bald eagles...

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagle......

[/ QUOTE ]

Bada boom.. rimshot...

Back