What's up in SLC?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
What\'s up in SLC?

Last night, I got the last available seat on an America West flight from DFW to PHX.

If I hadn't gotten this seat, believe me, I'd probably have been stuck in DFW for the weekend.
frown.gif

Anyway, the agent comes back on the jet and removes all of the passengers that are connecting to SLC in PHX.

Apparently, they weren't going to be able to get them to SLC for two days. Was there some massive snow storm in UT?

Re: What\'s up in SLC?

Yup, MASSIVE. I posted about it in the ski trip post. All canyons were closed, there were white out conditions, major ice, etc. I got 9 inches in my city. SLC got 10.5 and it was fast too, all at once. I have family stuck in Timberlakes cause there was an avalanche in Provo Canyon. Makes for good skiing conditions though.

Unreal here. No skiing yesterday in the Canyons because they were closed. It was, and still is an incredible storm (54" in 2 days at Alta!!!!)

Four of us skied behind the University yesterday and it was too deep! We couldn't believe it. I had fat skis on and I got going and then came to a dead stop after getting a head of steam going. Unreal.

I was monitoring the tower yesterday and they were landing planes in full blizzard conditions, I couldn't believe that either. Maybe it wasn't snowing as hard at the airport, but it was RVR 2000 and VV 200.

I am off to Telluride for ten days to teach skiing, not nearly as much snow there. But then again it is work. See YA!

"You can't Ski- Too much snow!"

When there is that much snow, it's time to break out the childhood and grab a sled.

Two days? God...Thats a long time. Must really be a big storm...I almost wish I was there, dont see snow very often.

Over two feet up here at my house, more snow today too. We have already gotten a couple inches up at my house today on top of all we got already.. This is good for the drought though. We havent had a storm with more than a couple inches in years!!

Yes, massive it was -- and IS!

I am writing this at 4PM on Saturday. It stopped for a bit this morning but now it is coming down again. I live up by the University of Utah. When I measured this morning I had 20.5 inches in my back yard, and the drifts are over three and a half feet --- and its still coming.

Four passes since yesterday with Saddam...(the MOTHER of all snowblowers. A damn fine investment).

Its supposesd to continue on through Monday.

Delta cancelled 33 flights here yesterday (mainline and RJ). Things seemed to be getting back to normal today, but now, I don't know.

It's b*tchin! We stayed out till 4am Thursday night doing doughnuts in the middle of some of our major roads and intersections. We had a brush with johnny law which made me really love the men in blue. While looking for a wide open untracked field of snow we pulled into a high school parking lot. After about half a doughnut we noticed a cop car sitting in the far corner of the parking lot with his lights off. After the "Oh sh*ts!" we figured it was best to just go over and talk to him, even though he never acknowledged that he saw us, or the fact that there's no way his squad car would catch us in the snow. He slowly rolled his window down as we pulled along side of him. The only thing I could think to say was "Are you stuck or something?" Right after I opened my mouth I realized he probably took that as a smart ass remark, doh! After another mental "Oh sh*t!" he said - "No, I'm just tired of driving in the snow." Sweet! This guy is cool. We exchanged a few more words, he said be careful and that was it. This guy was literally trying to hide from everyone so he could curl up with a bag of Doritos and a Coke and watch a movie on the squad car laptop. I wanted to hug him.

My friend and I thought this was probably the one day out of the year when the poseurs with H2's could say "I'm glad I bought a Hummer." Calling it a Hummer is a stretch though.

Link to webcams at the ski resorts.

Link to webcams along the valley.

This is what I get for not going up to SLC for xmas. Grrrr.

Here are some photos my mom sent me:

Xmas-Snowstorm-007.jpg

Xmas-Snowstorm-012.jpg

Xmas-Snowstorm-019.jpg

Wow!
thats a lot of friggin snow!

Its unusally warm up here in Toronto, Canada right now....no snow anywhere, beautiful flying weather today!
cool.gif

Ah, I love looking at all those pictures of snow, the second to last year I lived in Colorado I remember spending an entire day clearing about an eithth mile driveway with my roommate and a couple of shovels, then waiting three days for the county to send a grader to do the main road before we could get out after a storm that dumped four and a half feet of snow.

The news says that a standard two car driveway with 12 inches of snow=12 tons. No wonder Corbin's arms hurt.
smile.gif
I think we will be getting a snow blower soon lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice pics aloft... but what is all that white stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed I think it is the ash from the wild fires down in California in October. We had a little of that at my place too, but I guess the wind picked it all up, and dropped it on SLC.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else think the chick in Michelle's new avatar is hot?

[/ QUOTE ]
blush.gif
Yeah I am really giving Iain's play boy chick a run for her money huh.
grin.gif

Ok, wait a second. At first I thought you were actually complimenting me. Now I am thinking that I was being arrogant and you were being sarcastic?
crazy.gif

Back