What's the highest you've been?

Well I was in Amsterdam once at this little place called The Bullfrog with my friends Bill and Chris and there was this Blond Lebanese Hash.......

10,000 feet in this:

aircam.jpg

aircam2.jpg

We couldn't go any higher because it was too cold! It was summer time and neither one of us had jackets. I've been to FL450 a few times in jets and FL280 in turboprops, but I couldn't really tell the difference between FL450 and FL300 or FL280 and 10,000 so I don't think it really matters.

Alex.

16,000 in a 206T

The new oxygen valve for the 210T actually showed up today, so that may change in the next week or so.

My record was a 172 that got up to 12,500... in Florida... in the summer.

I've taken the RJ up to 41,000 twice but as SteveC said, I'm not a huge fan of going up high unless there's a good reason for it.

GA: 14,000 MSL in a Diamond DA20-C1 that weighs less than 1800 pounds max gross!

121: FL370
Those DA20's will climb like a home sick angel if the conditions are right. Although, I've never took one that high before. What's the fpm when you get above 13k?

FL370 in a -200. Took us 300fpm to do the last 1000' but we were able to accelerate to M.83 in cruise. For a -200 thats an amazing day!

FL499

Lear 40XR coming home from the west coast, requested a block altitude to FL510 and let her climb slowly while maintaining about Mach 0.80. We were just shy of FL500 when ATC started us back down. We had some information from the schoolhouse that suggested this profile was very efficient - max cruise power, maintain max forward speed, and take whatever climb performance the excess power provides. Interesting experiment, but we didn't see enough benefit to warrant going above FL430 in the future except to top the weather. I've been to FL470 a hand full of times for just that reason.

I'm not a big fan of being that high by the way.

Damn, that's pretty high. We routinely go to FL450 in the CJ3, it just sips fuel up there. 800 pph, 0.73 mach pretty much every time. It'll go straight there in about 26 mins in most conditions (fuel, ISA, etc.). During the climb, once through about FL380 it is so quiet with the thin air that pretty much the only thing you hear are the avionics fans. I snapped my avatar at FL450 on one of my first flights. It's amazing up there at night too...

We'll sometimes do FL450 in the Citation Bravo if we're trying to maximize range. They're pretty doggy up there, even for a Citation. Maybe Mach 0.66 or something ugly like that.

The Lear on the other hand is a pretty good climber if you keep the speed up (as mentioned before). It's not unusual to be at FL410 within 17 or 18 minutes.

The guys in the Citation X and Gulfstreams will cruise up at FL510 sometimes.

:panic:

Damn, that's pretty high. We routinely go to FL450 in the CJ3, it just sips fuel up there. 800 pph, 0.73 mach pretty much every time. It'll go straight there in about 26 mins in most conditions (fuel, ISA, etc.). During the climb, once through about FL380 it is so quiet with the thin air that pretty much the only thing you hear are the avionics fans. I snapped my avatar at FL450 on one of my first flights. It's amazing up there at night too...

You need to try an ERJ. Anything above M0.60 if you're not wearing the head clamps you'll be deaf in about a half hour. :D

Back