What would YOU do?

BEEF SUPREME

So I'm sure most of the frequent readers and posters here are familiar with my take on the shameful way my current employer has treated me. Now I have a new problem and I'm wondering what you guys would do about it since I'm (jokingly) reaching the going postal level of frustration. I am not really thinking clearly about it and it would be nice to have a moment of clarity and reflection on how I should try and move forward.

To make a very long story short my employer started a credit card using my SSN when I started employment. I did give them permission to do this (fool me once). Due to the card being abused by the company and for not being reimbursed for several hotel stays I decided to cancell the card. The company reopened the card without my knowlege or permission and started charging hotel stays to the card without my knowlege. I figured this out in May and attempted to reslove the matter with accounting. They told me that everything was taken care of. This month the creditors started knocking and wanted to know where the money was. Nothing had been taken care of by the company the simply ignored the situation and why shouldn't they - it only affects my SSN. They have no incentive to help.

So I contacted the chief pilots office and let them know in a profesional manner that I was very upset and that this abuse appeared to be one of a long series of abuses. I asked them nicely to use empathy for my situation and try to put themselves in my shoes. No chance for upgrade, personal attacks from a few select pilots and finally the destruction of my credit score. So they decided to revoke my flying privilages and stated that they would try and help. Now I can still work but I am no longer an over glorified ice and coffee bitch I'm just an ice and coffee bitch. I can no longer fly from the left seat or fly legs at all. It has been two days since I was promised documentation and a resolution from accounting and the holiday weekend has started so I am effectively dealing with a brick wall.

So what would you do?

That...sucks...ass.

I don't have any advice, but you certainly get my empathy. What a crappy situation to be put in.

Hot damn.

Since you asked "What would you do?" I'd immediately consult an attorney to see what my rights are and start looking for other employment.

Even when you get it resolved, none of that sounds like it would pass the "sniff test" when it comes to requiring you to open a line of credit, chargeable by them, in order to maintain employment.

Find an employment lawyer.
LAWYER. UP.
I can't believe in this day and age with a company that large they would even think to build the company's credit on the back of their employees. As I've posted before I'm not a very litigious person, but this is exactly the type of thing people need to sue for. Go after unfair business practice, hostile work environment, and destruction of your credit score at a minimum.

This just plain sucks, I feel bad for ya. If people start talking crap about you signing your credit card away, they need to be honest with themselves about what they would've done in the same situation. Let's not turn this into a "wtf were thinking man" thread and actually offer some help and advice. If I hear of any thing on the hiring front you'll be the first to know. Unfortunately I work for a two pilot operation, so we don't have any thing. But maybe guys like @ZapBrannigan and and some other corp guys have a lead. Good luck, if you need to vent more on the DL, feel free to pm.

I'm not corporate anymore and my previous employer just wrapped up a round of hiring, but if I hear anything i'll be sure to forward it along.

I have never ever heard of anything like this in my entire life, and I have heard a lot of crap. Good Lord. If you take a job at some outfit that is so jacked up that they do not even have their own lines of credit, you should have quit immediately. You can't allow yourself to be this desperate for any job.....ever. You never checked with the credit card company in June, July or August to see if the bills had been paid?

You need to contact the issuer of this card immediately and explain to them they must close this account right now and tell them that you will be filing a complaint with the local police department, hiring an attorney and that no card is ever to be issued using your SS# again and that you will be suing them because they allowed someone else to re-open said account without your knowledge or permission after you closed it and this is fraud. File a formal dispute on every single damn charge/transaction on the card(s) since they were re-opened. Also send the issuer a letter stating the same and keep a copy of the letter.

You need to contact the Labor Board in your city/state, go see them in person and file a complaint immediately, file a police report (and get a copy of it) and you need to hire an employment/labor attorney asap! Sue the crap out of them and the issuer of the card.

Further, contact the Attorney General's office in whatever state you are in. If you are in California, they won't take kindly to this type of business practice and they will investigate them. That will not be pretty.

Sit down and document every single issue with this company in writing, from your first day there. You will need this for the entities that I am mentioning here. Document every action and conversation with the details and dates and in chronological order, now. That includes your interaction with the credit card company in cancelling the card.

You may need a separate attorney to deal with the credit card company and the three main credit reporting companies to clear your name. This can be a long process. You can in fact have a lock put on your name with each agency in that they will not allow anyone (even you) to open any type of credit account with anyone. If anyone or even you, tries to do this, the entity will see the lock and will contact you to see if it is you who are applying for the credit. There are a set of passwords that you must supply and questions that must be answered before any account will be opened. This lasts like two years and then you re-new it. It's free of charge.

What the hell kind of place is this? Who would do this to one of their employees? I just cannot even begin to wrap my head around this.

You need to resolve this legally asap and get the hell outta there. If you file unemployment and are rejected for any reason, you have the right to a hearing. I cannot imagine that after you bring documented proof of what has happened/taken place, that you would be denied benefits. It may take months, but an investigation by the Labor Board will not go well for them.

"So they decided to revoke my flying privilages and stated that they would try and help." How is this helping you? It's obvious, that the entire organization is fraught with lies, deceit, and beyond shady practices.I think you need to stop believing anything that they tell you or that they have you best interest at heart and start covering your own ass and protecting yourself.

Just leave. Go out and get any job to pay the bills, get a couple of part time jobs.. Anything is better than this crap. Stay with a friend if necessary. Do what ever it takes to get out of there, survive this situation and move on.

Last edited:
Dude who do you work for this has to be plastered all over the internet.

If possible maybe report your credit stolen and put a lock on your SSN (state dependent). Then cancel the card again. This is in some way criminal, I would look into the law enforcement option. The only thing is since you did give permission once, they might be able to say they are covered. Did you "cancel" the permission to open cards in your name with them and have documentation of that?

Also since the card is in your name dispute all of the charges.

Do most corporate credits cards use the users social or do they issue a card in the users name?
The bank I use (Chase) uses the business corp's info and credit for the cards which are issued to my employees. Their name is on their card, but their ss# is not tied in any way to these cards. They each sign a liability agreement between themselves and their employer (me) when they get the card as to the guidelines of usage, what expenses are to be charged to the card, the turning in of receipts, a sheet of how to code the receipts for accounting purposes, a supply of expense reports that they turn in weekly, and how the card is to be used, permissions granted, etc. I have never heard of a business using the employees ss# for company credit cards, especially cards which are issued to other employees.

Last edited:
The bank I use (Chase) uses the business corp's info and credit for the cards which are issued to my employees. Their name is on their card, but their ss# is not tied in anyway to these cards. They each sign a liability agreement between themselves and their employer (me) when they get the card as to the guidelines of usage, what expenses are to be charged to the card, the turning in of receipts, a sheet of how to code the receipts for accounting purposes, and how the card is to be used, permissions granted, etc. I have never heard of a business using the employees ss# for company credit cards, especially cards which are issued to other employees.
That's what I figured. I had a corporate CC for a bit but I don't think my ss was tied to it. I needed to submit receipts with an explanation of purchases but if the company didnt pay the bill no fault on me.

If you want to get really nasty (and at this point you have nothing to lose) if this entity is doing business in the state of California, contact Attorney Steve Rubin's office. 866- 936-3162. He goes after companies in the state who perform illegal activities and works with the State Attorney General's office and the California State Whistleblowers office in Sacramento. I guarantee you, he will make them cry.

Further, if you have proof and documentation of any illegal practices by the company in regards to their business standards (is this a 135 outfit?), work rules, employees, records, maintenance etc., this can be reported as you know to the FBO they use, the airport Manager that they are based at and the FAA. But you need proof/documentation.

Last edited:
Dude...that totally blows. Beers on me next time you're around. Best of luck, you've got quite a case to present, I'd think you won't have a hard time finding a lawyer to take it up.

Back