What is the best air ambulance company to work for?

I work at AMRG and enjoy it. Like Boris said, alot depends on what program you're at.

FYI Billings Clinic doesn't really run the aviation side of their service. You'd be working for Edwards JetCenter (the Billings FBO), they run the Billings Clinic and St Vincent's Hospital flight programs, as well as their own charter. Not sure if pilots swap from one part to another but I can't think of why they wouldn't.

Some of the pilots fly both the Edwards charters and the hospital flights, but for the most part they mainly stay either charter only, or hospital only. I talk to some combination of the Billings hopsitals, EagleMed, Summit Air, and Stat Air basically every day in Billings.
Edwards uses BE20s, I only see an EagleMed helicopter from Cody, Summit runs both a helicopter and PC12 in and out, and Stat Air seems to be the most active with a PC12 and C421.

Matter of perspective. Like I said above, anyone who sits at home almost certainly is available more than someone who sits at base.

Plus, fixed wing pilots have to leave the hangar when there are clouds and rain and stuff! Ewwwwwwwww!

Won't deny that

Rotary wing is where the action is. lol. And where you're used and abused! :)

And Boris, we too takeoff when it's clouds and rain and stuff.................so long as it's still VFR :D

Bad things happen when its not........

Rotary wing is where the action is. lol. And where you're used and abused! :)

And Boris, we too takeoff when it's clouds and rain and stuff.................so long as it's still VFR :D

Bad things happen when its not........

I always like watching rotary wings land while I'm at the university. They're cool to watch for sure

I'm at AMRG - best job I've had in aviation. It blows pretty much everything else I've ever done out of the water. The pay is good, I'm at home with my family pretty much all the time, and the schedule is great. The airplanes are well maintained, so far it seems like the company wants to do the right thing in regards to safety, and the maintenance is good too. We're on a 20-on-10-off schedule out here in Hawaii, and out here we've got great insurance (I think the other bases are good too, but I don't remember much about their plans). The airplanes are "new enough" to still be nice, and when I do have to fly, the job is rewarding and fun. Zero legitimate complaints - I mean, I'm sure I can find something to whine about, I am a pilot, but in terms of real things to whine about, I don't see anything. I have a cool medcrew out here, and genuinely enjoy what I do.

I'm also interested in Air Ambulance for a career choice and would appreciate any other info like QOL, salary, experience, and any other tips to get there. Is it all mostly single pilot? Most of the info I search is for Helicopter work.

I did EMS for almost 8 years. It will wear you down. The 3am phone calls will seem to happen all the time and the patients will all seem to weigh 300 pounds (400 if there's an isolette).

It is like dog years. Great experience and the amount of troubleshooting you will have to do will make 121 or 135 "exec" charter seem like playing with play dough.

It is one of the few avenues in aviation that let you be home a ton though.

For @Dugie8

Unlike airplanes, helicopters simply have a death wish, wanting to commit suicide at all times, and waiting for the right moment when the pilot isn't paying attention, so they can take you with them. It's nothing personal.......for they do warn you beforehand: The helicopter does in fact talk to you at all times. But woe be the pilot who 1. Doesn't listen to what the helicopter is telling him (complacency), or 2. Doesn't fully understand the language the helicopter is speaking (inexperience); for the helicopter will interpert both of these failures to listen to it, as a pilot who also has a suicidal death wish same as the helicopter, and who gladly wants to share with the helicopter a double-suicide fate. A fate the helicopter is more than happy to accomodate. And the helicopter is, and has always been, equal opportunity in this regard; for it harbors no hatred, holds no personal grudges, and does not discriminate in any way, shape, or form.

Helicopters have no friends, don't want any friends, and don't care to be your friend. Understand that, and you will be fine as the pilot of them.

And here's one of the worst offenders...the AS-350B2. It tries to commit suicide with me onboard nearly daily, but it also knows that I both speak its language, as well as always listen to what it has to say and value what it's telling me. So we have very good truce between us. Great helicopter, just one you have to be understanding of, like making a marriage work out right and have few, if any, negative issues.

For the most part, the opinions here will be based on personal experience so a subjective comparison between the companies might be difficult to obtain. I think each company has its' good and bad so you'll have to figure out what YOU want (where you want to live, what schedule works for you [7/7 - 14/14], does the company have both FW & RW, are you dual qualified, etc?).

As for me, I flew for EagleMed (don't confuse with Eagle Air Med) when they were in the transition to their current owners. It was one of the most rewarding, fun, and challenging jobs I've ever had! It was mentioned earlier that EagleMed is hiring....seems that over the last few YEARS they have a lot of openings. My hope is that they are expanding so fast they can't keep the seats filled. However, I see the same locations, same position posted over and over again. I'm really not sure what that means as far as attitude and happiness among the employees but I don't see these positions filling quickly.

From my experience, they were a GREAT group of people and the pay, benefits were above average. The regular crew had to be at base during the shift and they didn't allow a 14/14 (that may have changed). I was a relief pilot, I worked both FW and RW sides of the house depending on the needs of the company. It was 7/7 and I got to travel to a lot of the bases. Mine was only part-time (working full-time hours and being paid hourly only); because they didn't have a full time position available so I didn't get the benefits package.

Almost all of the crew members were happy with their jobs. There were the usual bitches and comments but overall, the crews were engaged and cohesive with regards to the mission at hand. I miss these crew members like I miss my fellow service members.......it was that nice going to "work".
If they had a full time opening at the time, I would like to imagine that I would still be there....it was that nice.

I have some insight into Reva from the medical side. They are well funded and growing, possibly growing too quickly. From what I hear after they acquire or start up a base there is a bit of lag time to get things going. They did win the fixed wing program of the year at AMTC this year. From the medical side you are on call at home, must be within an hour of the airport for a 2 hour post dispatch departure.

With Eagle Air Med, aren't their domiciles mostly on tribal lands?

7Bar are going to be interesting to watch as they go into rotor wing market. I am unsure what they are doing differently. It is a saturated market, with fewer programs seeking vendors.

3 are tribal (no property for you, white man) and 4 non-tribal. I am at a non-tribal base, but the town is pretty rough, and adjusting to the lifestyle here can be a real challenge, however the cost of living is very low. Other companies within the AMRG family are in a lot better locations. Tribal bases are brutal. Company pays a retention bonus to try to keep pilots there, but so far it doesn't seem like it's enough.

3 are tribal (no property for you, white man) and 4 non-tribal. I am at a non-tribal base, but the town is pretty rough, and adjusting to the lifestyle here can be a real challenge, however the cost of living is very low. Other companies within the AMRG family are in a lot better locations. Tribal bases are brutal. Company pays a retention bonus to try to keep pilots there, but so far it doesn't seem like it's enough.
Maybe its not the money...

Back