What is a good CA or FO for you?

adreamer

Just wondering what would make you say in conversation that someone is a good FO or CA? :) Beisde, shaving Seggy's back and bring him a coffee do not count. :p

Discuss...

A pilot who commands respect and is professional, and who treats other crew members as a valuable member of the team. It's an added bonus if he's fun to be around. :)

In the cockpit...businesslike and professional, yet casual. Standard without rigidity. Humorous without being sophomoric.

On the layover...buys a round or two...and isn't dorky so as to chase the ladies away...or even worse, hit on every one they see!

I can only speak on what I find a good CA since I am an FO but here is my short list.

-STANDARD
-conversational
-believes in the idea that we are a "Team" and not a "my way is the only way"
-Begins an maintains an environment where we are working together to get a job done, with being friendly. From this start it is easy to bring up "issues" whether with standards, regs, or just issues without the feeling that someone is attacking the other. As much as its corny to say CRM is a major factor in both the enjoyment and performance of the trip. I would venture to say that most ASAP reports come from breakdowns in CRM. Personally the less regs I break the happier I am.
-Respect. Not everyone has 250 hours and FO's can do visuals. Some of the very senior CA's get a bad rap because they don't trust an FO to do a damn thing- I have dealt with this once and the trip was very unenjoyable.

WHAT DRIVES ME NUTS!!
-Non standard
-unprofessional (in appearance and attitude)
-Someone who believes they are perfect and takes it personal when given a heads up about an impending issue.
EX. Doing 2Kfpm down through 10,300 down to 5K at 330kts and I say "speed". When we get on the ground you grill me on minding my own business.... this goes back to unprofessional in a way..

Beyond that its always good to know your audience and don't bring up sex, money, politics, or religion until you know the person next to you. Not that I mind it but I have seen CA's totally make themselves look stupid by comments to a jumpseater or flight attendant before even knowing their names!

If you can't tell I am quite type "A".:rolleyes:

What's the difference between a good flight attendant and great flight attendant?

A good flight attendant says "Good Morning Captain"

A great flight attendant says 'It's morning Captain"

not here. this whole outstation basing is not a good thing when it comes to fa and pilots. see them at work and thats it.

Someone who won't turn me in for things I didn't even know I was doing wrong and won't get us violated. That is all.

I'm the type of guy that isn't bothered even enjoys the sound nails scratching a black board so I am very forgiving. However I don't like people that make our job seem like we're on a mission to the moon, a little humor goes a long way.

To me a good captain is one that has not forgotten what it's like to be an F/O, one who does not micromanage the cockpit, one that swings no more then a dot above or below standard but never walks it stringintly, one that does not think he is god's gift to a cockpit and turns off the F/D on an appr to mins just because he can, one who does not belittle or berate the f/a's, one that really let's the f/o "command" the flight when PF, and most importantly of all - one that under no circumstances writes up a FRACKING strobe light before the go home leg to a maintenance base....

If an FO can catch my mistakes and can take safety seriously without rolling their eyes. Throw a little football talk in there and talk about taildraggers and we are golden.

To me a good captain is one that has not forgotten what it's like to be an F/O, one who does not micromanage the cockpit, one that swings no more then a dot above or below standard but never walks it stringintly, one that does not think he is god's gift to a cockpit and turns off the F/D on an appr to mins just because he can, one who does not belittle or berate the f/a's, one that really let's the f/o "command" the flight when PF, and most importantly of all - one that under no circumstances writes up a FRACKING strobe light before the go home leg to a maintenance base....

:yeahthat:

Some great points...especially in regards to micromanaging. An overbearing CA is a terrible one to fly with. If I do something a little differently, but still is correct, let it slide. If I do something wrong and need to be corrected, tell me in a constructive way so I know to fix it.

I hope I'm an easy F/O to fly with...but a good one respects the CA and his/her decisions, is safe and can take advice when it's necessary. There are obviously a ton more...just a start.

1) No micromanaging.
2) Provides humble tips and pointers from his/her valuable experience when what I'm doing could be done better.
3) Does not turn on the APU in my ears when he/she knows that I just left the airplane to do the walkaround (can't you just wait 1 minute?!)
4) Most important: goes out with the crew on layovers

I am still pretty new and don't fly very often. Everytime I do a trip, and start getting comfortable, I don't fly for 3 weeks, and am just as green as off SOE, so it's cool if the CA doesnt tear me a new one everytime I miss or forget something. All of them have been great about this.

All of the crews I have flown with so far have been great, with the exception of one CA. For me what makes a CA better then another is that he uses common sense, is practical, and keeps me involved in the loop, even though he probably knows that I don't always know what he is talking about.

As far as going out goes, I have to say that out of all the trips I have done so far, I only went out with 1 crew... somewhat dissapointing. Everyone else usually slam-clicks, and I end up going out to do whatever alone.

All in all I havent had many unpleasant experiences with any captains... except one. lol

As time goes on I am sure my view will at least partially change to some of these points.

If an FO can catch my mistakes and can take safety seriously without rolling their eyes. Throw a little football talk in there and talk about taildraggers and we are golden.

Over half the people I fly with.. "don't watch sports". :banghead: Who the hell are these guys?

Here's my list

- One who doesn't start a trip by saying:

"Well, I'm pretty laid back and I do everything standard. You see me doing something wrong, speak up. Ill do the same for you. All I ask is that you don't get me killed or violated."

That speech really bugs me for some reason. I usually turn and give the same speech back. I have had a CKA almost get me violated. It happens. People make mistakes. Learn from it. Move on....

- One that doesn't hand me the paperwork on EVERY turn and go and talk to the flight attendants. For the whole trip.

- One that doesn't nit pick every thing I do cause its not the way he does it, or that's not the way they did it on the 145. If you find something wrong with it, by all means. But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

- Dont make every flight seem like we are at Mission control and are ready to blast off to the moon. Its a fight to Boston. Lets get there safely, hopefully on time, and have some fun while we are at it. All the added stress will kill you.

Ha, this list may seem like a rant, but seriously I am really laid back and my favorite saying is "Its all good, man". People just add so much stress into this job and I have never understood why. Its not rocket science (cause we have jet engines HA!) and the job is only as hard as you make it.

BTW alittle back story as to why I hate the "first flight" speech.

When I was at Mesa, we had to bid to fly all month with CAs. I got a CA that was notoriously an ass. That was his first speech to me, except it went on..(and Im not kidding):

" Blah blah blah dont get me killed or violated. If you screw up, I will let you know about it. Remember, everything you see in this cockpit is mine. Instruments on your side? Mine, I sign for this bird. As long as you do what I say, Ill let you keep flying legs. And remember, there is only room for one ego in this cockpit, and its mine. Now give me an originating checklist."

And thats seriously it, to the letter.

And he wasnt joking.

That month was not fun.

We were joking around today: a good captain writes down the CG index on the yoke clip instead of blurting it out while you are figuring out the W&B ;)

Mentioned several times but...STANDARD. The more senior they get the worse they get. In my experience a 10 year CA runs things so different than someone a few months off upgrade that it can be very difficult to anticipate what they need. Maybe the 10-year regional CAs should get together and agree to standardize their non-standardness. :buck:

Back