What is a good CA or FO for you?

I had no idea the amount of people who were into sports until I started this job! I've started reading headlines, or even watch a game or two, just for the sake of conversation. Merely just enough to add something thoughtful or comment on a certain play - just to get them going and act like I know that the hell they're talking about.

I'd much rather talk about that than the economy!

I'm a new FO at Lakes, and let me tell you I have flown with some awesome captains. I almost dread getting that dickhead captain with his "close your eyes and tell me what you see..." speech. If I have more than a couple legs with that guy I'll probably call in cause my life doesn't need anymore stress.

I think a good captain is one that is not only a good pilot, but can teach you something along the way, even if its just a little thing. A sense of humor goes along way and talking about something other than flying is a plus!

I try to be as by the book as I can until I get a feel for how the captain likes to have things done while on the line... Its up to him how he manages the cockpit. Buying a round or two is an awesome bonus.

"close your eyes and tell me what you see" ?? does he touch you while your eyes are closed or something?

(honestly though, I don't know that close your eyes thing)

"close your eyes and tell me what you see" ?? does he touch you while your eyes are closed or something?

(honestly though, I don't know that close your eyes thing)

It goes "I want you to close your eyes. Everything you see is yours. Now open your eyes. Everything you see is mine."

I've had a CA who insisted upon playing paper/rock/scissors for the walkaround..... taking it semi-seriously I played for his sake and when he got to the "item" he showed 4 fingers, smacked his epaulets, and said, "4 m-fr, go pre-flight" and had a huge grin on his face.

heh

The trip I just got done with, I was paired with an FO that had very similar tastes to mine. We wound up tossing Super Troopers lines at each other for three days. Then we flew into DFW on the BYP5.LIT. First fix after LIT....MEEOW. Yeah, much hilarity.
:)

Yeah.. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

"Uh, so you want us to procede direct... MEEOW?"

In many years as a captain, I can honestly say that I have only ran across maybe two FOs who needed a good whoop-down. After brief periods of training and counseling, they were back to being good guys again.

I like flying with FOs who are willing to learn. I can take somebody screwing up all daylong as long as they learn from their mistakes and move on. The guys that are difficult for me to work with are the ones who think they are better than they really are and aren't open to discussing ways to make their flying even better. Settling for average doesn't work well with me.

And when I was an FO, I liked flying with captains who recognized that they didn't know it all. Humble captains who would give me rope and let me do the things I was trained to do, were my favorites. It seemed to me that the very best captains in terms of attitude and skill were the ones that weren't always talking about themselves or pulling the "I am the captain" thing on you. The really great captains never had to say a thing - everybody knew they were the captain, and afforded them that respect.

Back