What is a good CA or FO for you?

How about a Captain who isn't afraid to do the exterior walk-around when the weather is something other than 72 degrees and sunny. If you're signing for the plane, don't be afraid to get a little wet making sure all the pieces are there.

Just wondering what would make you say in conversation that someone is a good FO or CA? :) Beisde, shaving Seggy's back and bring him a coffee do not count. :p

Discuss...

1) good stick and rudder skills (foremost)
2) good systems knowledge (to include FMS and autoflight modes)
3) good procedural knowledge and understanding
4) good communication skills (to include skill to discuss disagreement and to accept/point out when errors occur)
5) ability to adapt when policy/procedure does not exist
6) ability to see beyond the immediate event
7) adopts 'ancora imparo" (I'm still learning) philosophy versus "I have x type ratings and xx,000 hours.
8) can talk about something besides flying

more but that will suffice for now.

Is not an FFDO. This has been an interesting corelation I have recently noticed, that pilots that "pack" are a certain type. Don't get me wrong, I like guns, but being a FFDo is just too much hassle for me. I flew with a guy that all month, every leg he would lock and unlock, lock and unlock,.... He also was one of those guys that was anal and uber paranoid about other stuff.

My sample size is small, has anyone else noticed this?

Is not an FFDO. This has been an interesting corelation I have recently noticed, that pilots that "pack" are a certain type. Don't get me wrong, I like guns, but being a FFDo is just too much hassle for me. I flew with a guy that all month, every leg he would lock and unlock, lock and unlock,.... He also was one of those guys that was anal and uber paranoid about other stuff.

Now ya opened up a can of worms. If he "locks and unlocks" every leg, then he is doing his sworn duty to the fullest. Should he just leave the tools of his trade at the bottom of his flight bag? As for a perceived attitude, stereotypes don't do anyone any good.

If you're an FO at EWR, I'm pretty sure I know who you're referring to. :rolleyes: Not sure what he does with his gun in the cockpit but the second point you made is DEAD ON.

So is he supposed to keep it unlocked all the time in contrivence of the rules or is he supposed to keep it locked all the time where it will do him no good at all?

A good FO is one who sits down, shuts up, and slings gear. I can get the flaps and everything else, but I have to lean a little bit to get the gear. That is why I grant the gear privilege to the FO.

I can't believe nobody said something like that yet (or maybe I missed it).

:)

Over half the people I fly with.. "don't watch sports". :banghead: Who the hell are these guys?

I'm a science buff - did you major in a natural science? If so, we have lots to talk about.

I've played music since I was 10, and been in tons of bands since high school. Even if we have different musical tastes, we can probably have a good conversation.

Where are you from? I've traveled over most of this country, and I've probably been near your hometown.

What other jobs have you held before becoming a pilot? It's fun to compare notes on the road we all took to get here.

And then there's philosophy, politics, religion, love - potentially awkward topics that should be avoided until you know someone and have a good feel for what their comfort level is. But they can lead to many interesting discussions.

But, I'm not a sports fan. I can't really contribute much there. (Unless you like the Tour de France and are a Lance Armstrong fan.)

My point is, if your judgment of someone is based on their ability to discuss sports, you should look in the mirror. It's probably your narrowness that is the limiting factor in how well you two get along, not theirs.

I'm a science buff - did you major in a natural science? If so, we have lots to talk about.

I've played music since I was 10, and been in tons of bands since high school. Even if we have different musical tastes, we can probably have a good conversation.

Where are you from? I've traveled over most of this country, and I've probably been near your hometown.

What other jobs have you held before becoming a pilot? It's fun to compare notes on the road we all took to get here.

And then there's philosophy, politics, religion, love - potentially awkward topics that should be avoided until you know someone and have a good feel for what their comfort level is. But they can lead to many interesting discussions.

But, I'm not a sports fan. I can't really contribute much there. (Unless you like the Tour de France and are a Lance Armstrong fan.)

My point is, if your judgment of someone is based on their ability to discuss sports, you should look in the mirror. It's probably your narrowness that is the limiting factor in how well you two get along, not theirs.

Wow. You straight up "owned" me on that one. Unfortunately, you have no idea what my range of interests are nor my compatibility with others. But thanks for the mini autobiography!

Yeah I've never been a sports fan either. I always feel like I have to pretend to be though for some sort of test of manliness. From my perspective though it seems like there are more people that like sports than don't. So I can't imagine that this is that much of a problem for you :).

A good FO is one who sits down, shuts up, and slings gear. I can get the flaps and everything else, but I have to lean a little bit to get the gear. That is why I grant the gear privilege to the FO.

I can't believe nobody said something like that yet (or maybe I missed it).

:)
Hehe, I've had to throw the gear up before too. One FO spent 1.5 months without a green line after IOE and never was called up on reserve until that fateful day with me. He got back into pretty quick though. Good kid.

One of my first HP trips when I was first hired in 2004 on the A320 was definately one from hell. Some a$$ (Who jumped ship to work as a street captain for VX..........) gave me the little "Your in MY cockpit,and you WILL only fly a leg if I say so, and you will do the walk arounds and paperwork at each turn...... I'm thankful he went to work on the starship (VX, If you haven't seen their uniforms you won't understand that)

While approaching runway 26 at PHX(about 1000 AGL and 3 or 4 miles from the field) I was on the leg and held the quite reasonable decent rate of -600fpm to which his response was "WATCH the #####ing decent rate!!!!!!" I was caught off guard and spoke few choice words of my own during taxi in. I put that tool on my no- fly list.

While approaching runway 26 at PHX(about 1000 AGL and 3 or 4 miles from the field) I was on the leg and held the quite reasonable decent rate of -600fpm to which his response was "WATCH the #####ing decent rate!!!!!!" I was caught off guard and spoke few choice words of my own during taxi in. I put that tool on my no- fly list.

What's wrong with a 600fpm descent rate? Not enough to maintain a 3degree? Seems like a totally normal descent rate during on final, somewhere between 500-800fpm.

It's guys with a John Wayne, cowboy-esque attitude who give FFDOs a bad name, just like the "spikey haired- backpack wearing regional guys who tell every chick they meet at the bar that they're a super-awesome airline pilot" who give pilots a bad name. I promise you not all FFDOs are that way. Most are just going by SOP and the scary, sobering stuff they learned in training.

I only watch one sport, and when I'm talking "football," it normally takes the FO a minute to realize I ain't talking about the Patriots or the Cowboys. :) Like flyinguitar, my topics tend to be outside the realm of the "guy talk." Science (particularly nature and ecology), music, movies, etc. I tend to steer clear of politics and religion. Both topics are deeply held opinions and can actually cause more friction than easing any tensions. Dissing on someone's political stance is pretty much the equivalent of disrespecting his/her momma 90% of the time. :)

The trip I just got done with, I was paired with an FO that had very similar tastes to mine. We wound up tossing Super Troopers lines at each other for three days. Then we flew into DFW on the BYP5.LIT. First fix after LIT....MEEOW. Yeah, much hilarity.

Ken, based on your responses......we're screwed if scheduling ever actually pairs us up. :)

Wow. You straight up "owned" me on that one. Unfortunately, you have no idea what my range of interests are nor my compatibility with others. But thanks for the mini autobiography!

Sorry for being a bit rude - I was in a grumpy mood when I wrote that. I apologize.

You're right - I don't know anything about your interests (other than you like sports). I would just hope that you don't really hold it against us too much if there are some of us out there that don't watch sports. :)

Sorry for being a bit rude - I was in a grumpy mood when I wrote that. I apologize.

You're right - I don't know anything about your interests (other than you like sports). I would just hope that you don't really hold it against us too much if there are some of us out there that don't watch sports. :)

It's not a problem.

The whole sports thing really isn't a big deal for me. When I got into 121 I was just kind of blown away with the number of guys who aren't into sports. I honestly had no idea. But I get along with anybody I fly with, as long as they aren't aristocratic, shoulder-chip wielding jerks.

What are the three statements a good FO should make??
1. Clear right
2. Your right
3. I'll take the fat one

Back