What good are strike votes?

A1TAPE

Yes getting the authorisation is important BUT is it even worth it anymore? With the RLA besides Eastern and UAL in the 1980-90s has ANY airline been allowed to (STRIKE) self help? I think the management of all airlines knows a strike will never happen because the RLA would drag out the process and never allow a strike to occur. Even a PEB with Biden himself yelling at pilots on the picket line to GET BACK TO WORK would show a strike would never happen.

Yes getting the authorisation is important BUT is it even worth it anymore? With the RLA besides Eastern and UAL in the 1980-90s has ANY airline been allowed to (STRIKE) self help? I think the management of all airlines knows a strike will never happen because the RLA would drag out the process and never allow a strike to occur. Even a PEB with Biden himself yelling at pilots on the picket line to GET BACK TO WORK would show a strike would never happen.

I have an ALPA "battlestar". Skyway Airlines, strike, 1997!

The power in the strike isn't the strike itself, it's the uhhh, 'economic damage' and bookaways because the strike date is approaching. No one wins in a strike but because of a number of things that you can read about as it pertains to the Railway Labor Act, it's really the only tool we have as airline labor.

No one wants to strike, which is why you rattle sabers, get some media attention, get the attention of the traveling public and, hopefully, the board starts thinking "we're losing (or potentially losing) more money that we would spend to settle this contract"

Now the Europeans can get a bad crew meal and go on strike for a couple days, seemingly at the drop of a hat. That may be a better system to keep things from dragging on or it may not, I really haven't considered it.

To answer your question, for all that has to happen (or NOT happen) to lead up to a strike vote, yes, the people have spoken, it's worth it. Now if that result came back less than 90% in favor, the company is going to continue dragging it's feet or try to press for arbitration, which is bad.

So the RLA and arbitration committee said Screw it go strike!! ?

Neither one of those things are actual things.

Read of up on how the RLA (it's a document, not a entity) works. I've attached a PDF put out by IBEW that explains it pretty well.

There's a process. Nobody says "screw it go strike". With that said, it's unlikely one of the Big 4 airlines would be allowed to strike however, like was said about, the mere threat of it, and the general lack of knowledge of the process by the general public tends to generate bookaways, and hurts the bottom line. In 2016 when we had a strike vote out here (99% yes with 98% voting), we leveraged that into targeted Facebook and Google Ads in the very popular markets for the airline that talked about the possibility of a strike. We set up shop at the investor days and made sure everybody knew that we were 100% ready to strike if it came to it. We were lining up billboard advertisements (in Japan) talking about the uncertainty of the airline's future operations, when we finally came to a deal.

Attachments

• The Railway Labor Act Simplified.pdf
    615.4 KB · Views: 8
I have an ALPA battlestar: 6/12-6/17/2010.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9133.jpeg
    IMG_9133.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 43
With that said, it's unlikely one of the Big 4 airlines would be allowed to strike
Odds are highly unlikely so it seems the only point it to scare the public which in tern reduces ticket sales and therefore shareholder profits. Imagine the shareholders of EAL saying F IT!! dumping the shares and saying IDK IF FRANK LORENZO DIES IN THE STREET! IM OUT!!

I did not know that! Hell, I didn’t even remember a Skyway strike.

It was short and few people knew we even existed.

"Who do you work for?"

"Skyway"

"Skywest?"

"Skyway"

"Who are you a commuter for?"

"Midwest Express"

"Air Midwest?"

"No, Midwest Express, it a offshoot of Kimberly-Clark's corporate department"

"You're a commuter FOR a commuter?"

*le sigh*

What is the realistic chance of any of the Big 4 being released to strike; and if released, being allowed to strike without being ordered back to work or some other intervention that prevents a strike?

What is the realistic chance of any of the Big 4 being released to strike; and if released, being allowed to strike without being ordered back to work or some other intervention that prevents a strike?

100% chance, probability anwhere from 0.01% to 0.99%

NWA was out for a pretty long time.

"Who do you work for?"

"Skyway"

"Skywest?"

"Skyway"

"Midwest Express"

"Air Midwest?"

*le sigh*

But they had the pretty DorkJet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Who do you work for?"

"Skyway"

"Skywest?"

"Skyway"

"Midwest Express"

"Air Midwest?"

*le sigh*

I remember at the 2006 BOD meeting I was sitting in front of the Skyway MEC. A USAirways rep was at the podium conducting a roll call vote, and when he gets to the Skyway reps, he called them Skywest. Mind you, this was right in the middle of an organizing campaign where we were spending literally millions of dollars trying to organize the Skywest pilots, and the USAirways guy was so oblivious that he still didn’t know the difference between the two. Quote the Skyway MEC chairman when he was called Skywest: “Are you f***ing kidding me?”

Couple of things to keep in mind here. First, the likelihood of release is highly dependent upon the behavior of management. The NMB will look for excuses to not release a big carrier, but if management’s behavior is egregious enough, they essentially have no choice but to issue a proffer. That’s basically what happened in the Spirit case. When it comes to the big 4, management is generally smart enough to play the game right to keep the NMB happy and avoid a release. Of course, that usually means that they have to keep playing ball and making progress, which leads to a contract rather than a strike.

Second, there’s a general misconception that a PEB is a bad thing for labor. It’s not, unless labor is the one being unreasonable, or unless the PEB is being instituted by an anti-labor administration that puts a terrible board in place. Generally. PEBs instituted by Democratic presidents have a pro-labor slant to them, and management has tremendous pressure on them to accept the recommendations of the PEB. This was the case when Clinton issued the PEB to stop the American strike. The APA essentially got what they wanted from that PEB, including an elimination of the B-Scale, and management got steamrolled.

Very little.

Having gone through acrimonious section 6 with a vile and flat out non compliant opponent (the mediator instructed them multiple times to show up with proposals on X section and they showed up empty handed), we were told our likelihood of being released to strike was zero. And we don’t haul mail or freight like the big 4 do.

Anecdotal evidence but after the strike vote at SJI I had several friends, neighbors, and acquaintances ask me if we were going on strike. Even had a random guy jogging around my subdivision come up to me as i was loading my bags into my car in uniform asking if we were going on strike. He was actually excited about it and said that we should. I believe the media campaign alone is worth it to put pressure on management since the average passenger has no idea about the RLA and immediately panics when they hear the word "strike" outside of a baseball game

Back