What flies at FL600?

True story... flying out of Kadena, Japan, Request comes in "Naha, <Call sign> request FL600"
Naha control reply "<call sign> rojah, you can have flight level 600 if you can make it"
Reply "roger, descending to FL 600"
It was an SR-71 coming back from a mission. Also the USAF still flies the U2.

Have heard this before - I truly can't think of a cooler thing that could be said from an airplane than "descending to FL600". That may be cooler than puttering around the pattern in a Champ, although the Champ is probably more of a handful to land seeing as its a taildragger and I haven't installed a drag-chute yet like an SR-71 has.

It might also have been an WB-57. NASA operates those for atmospheric research. There was a guy over at airlinepilotcentral who flew those, very interesting stories he had to tell. One of my favorites: he said that since class A stops at FL600 and above is class E, and they routinely fly about that, he said that sometimes they'll turn off their transponders and listen to Center below them. Every now and then, they'll hear someone question ATC about a "UFO", and ATC always responds with "Nothing's showing up, you must be seeing things".

It might also have been an WB-57. NASA operates those for atmospheric research. There was a guy over at airlinepilotcentral who flew those, very interesting stories he had to tell. One of my favorites: he said that since class A stops at FL600 and above is class E, and they routinely fly about that, he said that sometimes they'll turn off their transponders and listen to Center below them. Every now and then, they'll hear someone question ATC about a "UFO", and ATC always responds with "Nothing's showing up, you must be seeing things".

HILARIOUS :D

but how would nothing show up? transponder will amplify the signal and give it a 'squawk' but it should still show up as a blimp on the radar...

oh and I beleive 328 is considered 'space' because thats where Rutan went to be the 1st civilian to go into space, and their 1st flight, they barely made it... the tail number was N328KF for 328,000 Feet :)

True story... flying out of Kadena, Japan, Request comes in "Naha, <Call sign> request FL600"
Naha control reply "<call sign> rojah, you can have flight level 600 if you can make it"

There are many, many variations of this story. Apparently this happened in Japan, England, and California. :) Serious urban legend territory here. Just a few I found through a quick Google:

In 1990, I was a young 2nd Lt, and was learning to be a navigator in the USAF. Late one evening we were returning on a training route that drove up the US Pacific coast and briefly entered Canada before heading back to the south to Mather AFB (near Sacramento, CA). Night sorties were usually scheduled after 9pm in those days to avoid conflicts with red eye flights out of San Francisco Intl. and Sacramento Intl., so the radio was usually pretty quiet. At about 1:45am, while our training flight was over northern Oregon returning home, I got to listen to what is considered one of the funniest exchanges ever on the radio.
Night time was also the time of day when the younger air traffic controllers were on shift in order to learn and get experience without a heavy traffic load. Seattle Center was thusly manned when Aspen 44 called Center with a request for clearance to Flight Level 600 (60,000 ft).
The incredulous controller, asked, "44, If you can get to FL600, you can have it” with a tone of disbelief and amusement.
The SR-71 pilot, responded casually, "Aspen 44 – descending to FL600.” The radio went completely silent for probably the next five minutes because of how hard everyone on frequency was probably laughing.
Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600. The incredulous Controller with some obvious disdain in his voice asked.
"And how do you plan to get UP TO 60,000 FEET?"
The Pilot (obviously a Sled Driver) responded.
" WE do not plan to GO UP to it. We plan to GO DOWN to it."
SR-71 enroute RAF Mildenhall:
SR-71: "Good morning Shannon, Blackbird 7, request FL600."
Shannon Control: "Puh, if you can fly level 600, then cleared level 600."
SR-71: "Shannon, Blackbird 7 leaving 800 descending 600."
In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a
request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000ft). The incredulous controller,
with some disdain in his voice, asked, 'How do you plan to get up to
60,000 feet? The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, 'We don't
plan to go up to it; we plan to go down to it.' He was cleared.
SR-71 Blackbird was crossing the control-zone of London Control. Evidently the controller didn't know the service ceiling of this aircraft is around 30,000 metres (yes metres, not feet!). There are so many variations on this item that the original event has evidently become part of aviation folklore or joke-lore.
Pilot: "Radar, Good Day, Airforce Blackbird, request FL 600(!)"
Controller (amused): "Sir, if you can reach, you are cleared FL 600"
Pilot: "US Air Force Blackbird, leaving FL 800, decending Level 600..."
Aircraft- XXXXX with you requesting FL600.
ATC- Well sir, if you can get up there its all yours.
Aircraft- Well actually sir, we'll be descending to it.
Silence on the radio
The aircraft turns out to be an SR-71 returning from a mission...

Alleged True story... flying out of Kadena, Japan, Request comes in "Naha, <Call sign> request FL600"
fixed it

but how would nothing show up? transponder will amplify the signal and give it a 'squawk' but it should still show up as a blimp on the radar...

With the transponder off, all the controllers would see was a primary radar return. The reason for the transponder is that those radars are not as sensitive as say a military air search or fire control radar. It can drop the signal for several sweeps. Of course, I'm sure one of the fine folks that work in ATC can explain it better.

oh and I beleive 328 is considered 'space' because thats where Rutan went to be the 1st civilian to go into space, and their 1st flight, they barely made it... the tail number was N328KF for 328,000 Feet :)

Ok, well, maybe that's not word for word what was said, I wouldn't know, I wasn't there. But you get the gist :D

Maybe we should get one of them Center controllers in here, but do you think their radar actually goes that high? I mean, what's the point of seeing anything about FL550? Anything that goes up there can get direct wherever they want anyways, radar contact or not :)

Reading the specs on wiki I couldn't believe they can fly at 85000+ so I guess maybe one day you'll hear FL850 to me thats just crazy. BTW I would give my left nut possibly both just to goto that flight level.

You will most likely never hear anything such as FL700 and above on frequency, above FL600 altitudes are coded... ie maintain FL Golf or something.

Heading from LGA to DSM today we hear "NASA 019.. Level FL600..."

Any idea what this might have been? I've read the F-15 can go up to FL650 but not sure why he would have been on Cleveland Center where we could hear him...

Could be a number of aircraft... much of the stuff NASA flies has different identifiers so the actual type of A/C might be hard to tell. The military is the same way, they have different ID's then the civilian versions do.

I doubt it was a UAV ... they generally fly in an ALTRAV.

I would have just asked

xxx center, just curious, whats kind of plane is up there so high?

I don't think that'd piss anyone off lol.

I wouldn't ask ... especially about a NASA or military flight. I know you probably don't mean any harm but when operations like that are going on there are generally more then one person watching the scope. You don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Just for clarifications sake, F-16s, or many fighters at all for that matter, do not meet RVSM requirements and can not go above FL280.

Military and state aircraft can request entry in non RVSM airspace. They can do it via prior approval or on a case by case basis via request in frequency.

I work fighters in the upper flight levels. They are very easy to deal with, you tell them what FL is available and they can climb to it in seconds. The radar cannot keep up with their climbs... the altitude XXX's out until they level off and we get a good return.

Hacker15e;910012As far as service ceiling goes said:
A good rule indeed, since your blood will boil if you have a rapid or explosive decompression.

I knew a 135 pilot that flew it to 50K with the space suit.

Me in a 172 :D

I was going to make a comment that you had probably put a bigger engine in a 172 and that this was probably you at FL600. :D
I hadn't seen you posting in a while so I just figured I'd wait until I saw you doing something.

I was going to make a comment that you had probably put a bigger engine in a 172 and that this was probably you at FL600. :D
I hadn't seen you posting in a while so I just figured I'd wait until I saw you doing something.

:yup::D

"Can not go above 280" is a massive overstatement. I can't FILE that high, but if the controller can make the altitude deconfliction work when I request it, fighters can cruise up into the low 40s. I've cruised well above 280 in the post-RVSM world numerous times when the traffic allowed.

As far as service ceiling goes, USAF aircraft are limited to FL500 by regulation if we're not wearing pressure suits.

To answer the previous question, no the NASA T-38s are definitely not the ones operating up in the 60s. The engines can't do it.

Odd. I have a relative that flies F-16s in the ANG and he says they can't go above 280 now with the new RVSM requirements, as a cruise obviously. Maybe he just didn't feel like explaining the details to me at the time.

Every now and then we get a target at FL600 on our scopes so we run the beacon code to get the flight plan (hey we're curious too :p ), every time its been a U2. Of course were never talking to them since were terminal and they are way way above us

Back