What Delta Connection??

Re: This is what I mean....

I had a friend do the direct track program down at FSI. You had to have comm. multi eng./inst. ticket to get into the program. He left Comair after multi for this program. He paid the $30,000 more (the price then), was conditionally hired by ASA (if you bust out of first officer training, that was it), and finished the program. Then the bottom fell out; a hiring freeze.
He was a 300 hour pilot, hired by a regional that wasn't taking on new FO's. I felt for him. For that year and change it took him to finally get the call to get into class, he wondered if he made the right choice by paying $30 grand extra, and not getting his CFI tickets. There wasn't many paying flight jobs that would pick up a 300hr pilot for insurance purposes. Now, of course, I assume he's happy, I haven't talked with him in a long time, he's had a seniority # for awhile and everything worked out in the end. So at that time, he could have gotten his CFI certs, built over 1000 hoursof experience, for alot less than the money he spent, but hindsight is always 20/20.

What does the Capt. think of 300 hour total time FO's? I've heard everything from"Oh, I love flying a two crew jet single pilot" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, to "glad to see this kid really paid his dues and thinks they are Skyking"(sarcasm), to "some guys really impressed me". Don't know where I'm going with this, but just relating a persons experience. I considered this program for a few seconds, but sooo glad I chose the route I did.

[ QUOTE ]
Foz, FSI has a program with ASA back in the 90's. I dont remember the exact details of it but it was there. I think it was more along the lines of a instructing and then at a point FSI helped you get prepared for the interview. I am not sure if it involved the other stuff like 121 sim rides and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
That I did not know... thanks for the correction.

[ QUOTE ]
That may be true, but Skywest Airlines has no agreement at this time with DCA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know the specifics of who has an aggreement or not, was just trying to state that Comair is not the only airline our instructors go to. Skywest has been hiring, and our intructors have been getting hired there. I understand DCA instructors are not the only ones they are hiring.

[ QUOTE ]
And in my humble opinion, the name change came about as a result of management realising that Comair would, at that time, soon have no need for as many (or any) pilots so they had to change the name to keep the marketing machine oiled and slick. Smart business move, and gauranteed to suck more and more unsuspecting people with a dream to fly in to their system.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, hiring at Comair has slowed, but thankfully not stopped. Was the name change done as your opinion states, again, I don't know why but that very well may be the case. However, do you really think that everyone who attends or looks at DCA are unsuspecting people who have done no research? I don't think that statement reflects the person who is looking into flight schools at all, especially considering the majority of students in Sanford are individuals who have made a career change and are in their late 20's to 30's. Even so, I would like to give those prospective students a little more credit than being unsuspecting.

[ QUOTE ]
Now guys are starting to shop for schools based on who guarantees interviews. I just hate to see my beloved profession coming to this. Only the old timers would understand.....

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason, just made me think of 'Tommy Boy' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I get where you are going with that, in that the quality of training should be the main factor in deciding where to go - and correct me if I am wrong - and I don't disagree, but that has never been an issue at DCA. If they can use the guarantee to help attract students, then so be it. Call me a newbie for thinking this way... old timer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And Doug, you did mention that the reason you haven't changed the name of the forum from Comair is:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No real reason to date, I just haven't gotten around to changing it.

Initially someone became, in my opinion, quite pushy about the name change and it turned into a short-lived game of 'King of the Hill" for about a week.

One of those "Hey buddy, I pay the bills 'round here"-type things.

Then I largely forgot about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think you could find the time to do this since I have reminded you??

[/ QUOTE ]
Since your post was an "in general" one, I won't reply to it, but will ask if you can do this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
foz,
I will be glad to clarify. The program has been in place since the 1990's and was put on hold after ASA halted the direct track and hiring in general post 9/11. The class that just started was not the first class to go through by any means, just one of the first since 9/11.

I think you will find that instructors from a variety of schools are getting hired at regionals. THe only thing DCA offers is a guranteed interview, still need hiring minimums if I am not mistaken and it is still in the end, just an interview, its still the pilots job to get hired.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I thanked Tim, I will you as well for correcting me. I did not know that. As for your last statement, I couldn't agree more. I will also add though that it helps to know that you will at least have an interview. Having been in the bussiness world for many years prior to changing careers, I interviewed a decent amount, and I will say getting that interview was often times half the battle.

I think you will all see that I am not here trying to discredit anyone's advice, start any wars or make any crap up. However, I will defend DCA where I see fit, and speak of my experiences. Everyone I replied to made comments intelligently and without blatantly trying to discredit the program at DCA. It is those who don't act in such a manner and just want to bash the school for no legitimate reason that I and most others have a problem with.

Just so it is clear, I am in the middle of packing - I am moving from Oviedo to Lake Mary/Heathrow - so after tonight or tomorrow afternoon, I won't be posting until my new cable gets hooked up. I will not be in hiding or refusing to answer any posts, as I have been accused of before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyone in the area want to lend a hand??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...flightinfo.com doesn't hold a candle to this place. I check it everyday but hardly ever post. Too much rudeness in the house for me. Call me thin skinned but I just don't care for it. Anet's even worse, I don't even go there anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright... so I won't owe you with an answer

No. It is not the only way. However in the past 2 years you either had:
- some awesome experience, perhaps as a furloughed major pilot
- new someone well, and not just a pilot or two
- or graduated from DCA

These were the guys who got in. So no, it was not the only way but I would say hardly anyone was able to get into Comair with 1050-1100TT 100 multi.

When the name change came, it was explained to me (I don't even remember by whom) that the reason for it was to help the expansion of the academy toward the West, and North side of the country. On the East side Comair may be a known name for some flyers, on the west side it is not. IMO it was a good marketing move. On the other hand I am not too happy and never have been too happy with the ads. I have posted that several times before here.

They pay some big dough for the pages in the magazines but they won't put up a decent website. Probably putting up a nice website would be as expensive as a full page in any paper. Also they should take a peak at some feedback that comes up on forums. It is free too. People don't like the ads, so go and adjust them. But they won't. Sad because just by reading these pages I am convinced potential students turn away just because the negative perception based on the ads. Paying a pro for some serious marketing advice would be as expensive as losing may be 10-20 students.

But the school is still expanding, so I guess they are happy as it is.

Nothing I can do about it.

And BTW yeah.... it is not easy. I have never studied as hard and as intensive as I am now. The well known statement:

"Everyone can learn to fly."

It was not DCA who came up with that one but some people translate it as:

"Everyone can become an airline pilot."

Not true. Airline pilot has become one of the most competitive profession out there. As pay is decreasing this may change somewhat, but right now it still is extremely competitive. One strike you are out.

Body of mine told me: People show up for training who don't now a compass card and failed highschool several times, but have the money. What are you going to do as DCA? Send them away? They will spend it somewhere else. So start poaying for ads like:

"It is extremely hard, if you had below 3.5 GPA don't come near!"

They are trying to make profit. It is like if you want to ask Taco to advertise:

"If you can’t handle spicy don't eat with us because you will throw up."

It is unrealistic to expect that.

[ QUOTE ]
"It is extremely hard, if you had below 3.5 GPA don't come near!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be pretty unrealistic!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In a nutshell:

Delta has purchased COMAIR Airlines...

COMAIR Airlines owns DCA....

Delta owns DCA.

Any questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandit.gif

Back