What Delta Connection??

IdahoFlyer

Hello everyone - I just joined the site, although I have been reading the forums for a few months now. I have my private with 200 hours and looking to attend an academy.

As I have been doing my homework and looking into schools - one question really sticks out at DCA that I don't like.

If DCA is "the only school authorized to serve the entire Delta Connection System" then why is the ASA direct track program at FlightSafety? And why doesn't DCA have something similiar with Comair?

I am asking this question here because I know that several employees for DCA read and post on these forums.

No they are no the only place that ASA, Comair or any other connection carrier hires from. They have some inside stuff but they are not they only way in

They puff it up as big as they can, but in reality their "connection" to Delta is little more than a phrase.

Besides, Comair wont be hiring for years.

Remember the airlines dont care where you get your ratings done.

A class a month for the rest of the year. Straight from the training dept. Of course that decision is subject to change.

Well, Idahoflyer, that's a very good question. Perhaps our resident DCA recruiter, YankeeOne, would be able to provide you with an answer.

I'm in no way connected with DCA but my guess would be that their marketing statements are full of half-truths designed to get you to believe that the only way to get hired by a Delta connection airline is to attend the Delta Connection Academy.

Where do you live in Idaho? I can see Idaho from my deck.

Hmmmmm . . . . . its been nearly a week now, and the only answers offered are that is nothing more than hype. The people from DCA aren't saying anything . . . . but I think them not saying anything actually says a lot.

Thanks to those who replied. These forums are very helpful as I can now scratch DCA off my list and probably give FlightSafety a call.

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live in Idaho? I can see Idaho from my deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Moscow, so I am pretty familiar with SFF and GEG!

The reason you do not see many replies here is partly because you asked a question that is almost impossible to answer unless you are a marketing insider at DCA.

The other reason is that DCA students/CFIs don't attend this forum in such numbers as they do other aviation forums because this is an openly hostile place toward the school. Doug has always been against Comair Academy, and of course due to the latest issues with furloughed Delta pilots not getting interviews at Comair without resigning their seniority numbers, he has become even more hostile toward Comair and thus toward DCA. Since this is his forum, he can do whatever he wants to. What most of us could do was to stop reading this forum and post elsewhere. I still come back occasionally like now, but I really do not know why LOL, and I always end up posting something like this. It is a shame though because other schools seem to have real good info here… but nothing I can do about it.

Anyways... every place gets its own share of flames on the net. Some are valid, some aren’t. DCA gets a s_load from dropouts, and from people who have never attended a single lesson here. I always enjoy to read comments from outsiders because those are as real as any writing from Isaac Asimov. If you want to look for some good and valid criticisms try to locate former posts from guys/gals who posted after they were done with the program sitting in a right seat of an RJ or sitting on their a$$ on the street. It can go both ways and it is important to understand that. They will tell you the gauge from both sides and they have no interest anymore in the school. But listening to dropouts is always dangerous IMHO… even if they have something valid to say it is mostly full of bitterness (which I can understand) that does not help to form an objective opinion.

Whatever is going down here… it is still a fact that most CFIs who make it through the program do land in a regional job if not within the DCA family than elsewhere. On the other hand right now regionals seem to hire again anyways, but this was not the case during the past 2 years. Not many schools managed to place people into RJs and if they did, than the grads ended up at places where pay/life was/is not that great at all. Those who got into Comair or Chautauqua through the program definitely made a good deal.

Sooooo…. regardless what the name of this forum is, DCA is not going anywhere anytime soon. The school was going strong even during the hiring slowdown, and even against the flames you can see all over the place… I guess something has to be done right here… but you can think what ever you want, I personally can care less. I am killing time right now…

Zsolez, great post. Us students and instructors, have nothing to do what so ever with marketing. Yeah it's borderline but it gets student in the doors. As long as you work hard and study, and know what you're doing, you will become an instructor. You do your 800 Hrs dual given at DCA and you will get an interview. They're not guaranteeing you the job, just the interview. They even try to get you a second interview if you don't do well on the first. The interview is what you make of it. Comair is taking instructors, Chautauqua, SkyWest, SKyways, and even ASA is hiring DCA instructors again. I've run into a bunch of Comair pilots who have attended Comair/DCA and swear by it. It works. JAM is a Comair alumni. Ask him if it works. I'm not here to argue with anyone. That's why I post my diary of my time here. I tell it as it is, no sugar coating or spin. I gain nothing from it other than giving an informative account of what it's like here for those that are interested. Everyone runs into something they don't like about the school, but we deal with it and move on. I urge everyone to shop around before you make that final big decision. It's a lifestyle change, a career change, as well as a finacial change.

"Doug has always been against Comair Academy, and of course due to the latest issues with furloughed Delta pilots not getting interviews at Comair without resigning their seniority numbers, he has become even more hostile toward Comair and thus toward DCA."

Ahhh...you got anything to back that up with? otherwise I don't buy it. I think if Doug was the kind of guy you think, this little slice of JC would just cease to exist.

Maybe if the pro-DCAer's were a bit more active here, it wouldn't seem so anti-DCA.

I don't like DCA's marketing and advertising. So it get's people in the door...it's still an embarrassment to the school.

I'm glad the DCA guy's are getting hired after they pay their dues. Sounds like they have a good background after putting in their time as CFI's and they have good numbers.

[ QUOTE ]

Doug has always been against Comair Academy, and of course due to the latest issues with furloughed Delta pilots not getting interviews at Comair without resigning their seniority numbers, he has become even more hostile toward Comair and thus toward DCA.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

I'd like to know how you substantiate this statement or specfically who told you this and I'm serious because it rose my blood pressure about 100 units.

That's a very rotten allegation to make and tremendously insulting.

If I had it out to hold a vendetta against Comair or whatever, certainly I wouldn't run this forum free of charge.

If you can't come out with specifics on examples or who told you this (perhaps it was "Mr. 'Doug's on the 'outs'"), I'm going to ask you to leave the site.

Am I 'going off'? Yes.

It's pretty rotten to endure 'hey, xyz said abc' when this site's been a labor of love for the past 9 years so I take it very personal.

Yup, I'm going to spend free time when I should be spending it with my wife to use my site as a bully pulpit. Get real bro, have you seen a "Gulfstream Academy" section around the site? How about the name on the "Airline Training Academy" forum?

Or how about my own alma mater -- at ERAU. When was the last glowing endorsement of 'Riddle, which I spent five yeras and a fist full of loot?

Puleeeze.

If you going to personally make a statement against my integrity, I'd at least like to see where (a) I was incorrect or (b) where I gave criticism above and beyond any other institution.

And don't speak for me -- if you want a statement, ask me, I'm here on the website almost 24/7 365 days per year.

Pretty rotten? Thanks for qualifying my statement.

I clearly remember when you explained why you have not changed the name on the forum to DCA from CAA. That alone is quite unfair since other schools have their correct name. But I am sure it would be all good if you would fly for AA.

You were always vocal in several threads about how DCA is against getting a degree, which does not represent the truth at all. You have been hostile toward the school from the beginning. I remember a statement from the early days (early for me on the forum 2000/01 ish) it went like this:

"I have received quite a few e-mails from Comair grads looking for jobs." - or along these lines.

This was when Comair was hiring people for the lowest mins I have ever heard. I think this was the very first one that caught my attention. In general if there was a thread about DCA you were often there, while I have not seen you being involved that actively in threads that belonged to different schools.

Nothing wrong with the statement, and I am not debating that it was the truth, but it
can be said about every school or academy including FSI and ATP. Still I have never seen you making statements like that about other schools. How come you have never mentioned that FSI will bend over to talk you into a degree, and is 2x as expensive than DCA used to be, and their jet direct is not as good as “advertised”?

I recall you jumping into a thread ready for battle when Patt Murphy came online. I have not seen you doing anything like that in other subsections.

I have even seen your girlfriend (or wife?) jumping in for a comment once. That was another great example of someone who has never been involved with DCA, making a comment about DCA.

I would love to show you actual quotes, and I know I could, but that database was gone after your forum upgrade. Since then I have not been participating as much as I have before. So everything I have said is based on info up to… say 2002/03. Since then I am not reading JC much, and I would not know your current behavior/opinion.

BTW this is not only my “rotten” opinion. It is the general opinion among DCA students and CFIs who read internet boards.

You are free to have your opinion especially on your own board. I don't see why you suddenly don't back it though. Regardless, it is pretty “rotten” to read the DCA bashing that goes on here especially if you are a students or instructor and work your ass off to make it happen. It is unfair and NOT representing the reality and most of it is 2nd hand info, even if it is yours.

And this is from someone who is 32 years old, has a degree, has military background, pays for all of it from his own packet, and one who does criticize DCA when it is due. Except my criticism is 1st hand, and contains the valid reasons which are no show stoppers and are not even mentioned here at JC.

..With that said feel free to delete my account. Nothing to do here for me anywas.

Interesting quote, primarily because I never made it.

I'm hard on a variety of flight schools. Just that people presume I've got a vendetta against Comair which is strange. I have a vendetta, of course, against Gulfstream Academy -- no forum for Gulfstream and largely their program is personna non grata around jetcareers. And they have a sizeable program and lots of people interested in the scheme.

Additionally, I'm way harder on ERAU (Or, I guess I should say Embry Riddle University instead of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University so I'm not accused of 'bashing' by students and alumni) than I ever was on Comair.

Quite frankly, how would you like me to run the Flight Training forums? As a free cheerleading section? Or perhaps as a cybernetic wrestling match like some other forum.

So here's the big question, if you were webmaster, how would you run things differently?

In fact, here's a better question. Take a peek at the "Pan Am Academy" forum and tell me what you'd do...

"Except my criticism is 1st hand"

So is mine, I just looked at that silly at in Flight Training last night. If you want to tell me the ad is full of crap and doesn't represent your school, then I'd have some sympathy for you.

I'm only active at the ERAU, FSI, DCA, and TAB forums. I respond to what I see and give my opinion as a professional pilot. Heck...I knock the crap out of ERAU sometimes and I'm an alumni. Sorry if you feel I'm picking on DCA. Should I keep quiet and not express my opinion? For peets sake, I'm a friggen 757 F/O at UPS...you don't want to know what I think?

"my criticism is 1st hand, and contains the valid reasons which are no show stoppers and are not even mentioned here at JC."

Well....tell it like it is and maybe I'll shut up....

Okay Doug, now Breathe in and out. And repeat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't let these guys get you all riled up. You provide a great forum and I love being able to post here, so other people can see how it is. Some people just don't get it about when to give it up.

Thanks bro. You've always had a level head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I spend way too much time on the website and I do get hypersensitive when people suggest that I have vendetta's, ulterior (sp?) motives, etc. Sunny, beautiful day outside, gorgeous sunday and I'm already on the website before I've even brushed my teeth to make sure all's running smoothly for you guys.

And another not, if Zsoles hasn't figured out that Kristie is indeed my wife and not my girlfriend, he probably hasn't been paying enough attention to be able to make a qualified statement about things I did or did not say.

I should have have considered that.

No problem. I just don't want to see the forum go away, or become like the Pan Am/ Jerry Springer Forum. I try to activly get DCA students to come check out the website and post.

DT,

The quote is real, you may not remember it I give you that but I didn’t make it up. It was part of a response from you back when the old forum was up. There is no way for me to prove it nor is there any point. For a second I thought it was in a newsletter but it wasn’t. While I was checking through a section in a newsletter where you defended your attitude toward DCA (based on some previous attacks(?). Apparently others had the opinion that you are against DCA as well.

What you (and deups727 you too) have missed from my first post in this forum is that I really do not care if one has a bad comment or even a couple of hundreds about something as long those are valid comments and as long the person can base the information on something more than a commercial.

You can run your forum as you want and frankly you can have whatever opinion you feel appropriate about DCA. But do not be surprised if one will point it out once in a while that indeed you do have that opinion. That is all I have done in my “rotten” post. Why it raised your blood pressure I have no clue. You talk Liberal, you will be called a Liberal. (no problems with Libs btw) That is how it goes.

Guess how many times have my blood pressure been raised when I read DCA bashing responses, 60% of which are based on the marketing practices, from readers of Flying Magazine (not students or former students of DCA).

Like I have said in my post I do not read much JC anymore so I did not know that since then you have launched an offensive against all the flight academies! Great! At least it is balanced now. Had it always been that way I would have had more tolerance. But to be honest I still think you have a bad opinion about DCA and you are always trigger happy to jump in with a little comment here and a little one there… AND that is your business and freedom even if your opinion is based on… I am not sure on what… perhaps on people posting here and e-mail you receive and whatnot. However it is my freedom to say it laud what I think about that. You got the kill switch so use it if you want to… but than that would not work too well on the ideas of freedom of speech I guess.

I guess we will leave it at that my opinion is “rotten” and IMO yours is rotten too… using your own words here.

DE727UPS,

I have been reading your comments on several boards not only this, and have always had great respect for you, your achievement and your stand on the academy vs. FBO issue. Not that I want to kiss ass or anything just wanted to make it clear in advance.

However, and correct me if I am wrong, I though you got your ratings from an FBO. Apparently it worked for your very well. Too bad that you can’t have a 1st hand experience about DCA so your 1st hand criticism will be limited to that advertisement that you have read yesterday.

I can see that everyone is trying to sell the idea that worked best for him/her. FBO worked good for you but it did not work that well for many CFIs in the past 2 years. It is a shame but that is how it was. While DCA managed (agreeably partly due to the huge growth at regionals on the expense of Delta which in long term may be negative for all of us wannabees) to place, and still manages to place grads to DCI regionals while the school opens up new locations.

Based on the above, don’t you think that they can advertise that they are the only school who has done that? Who else has placed anyone into Comair lately? Who has sent the most amount of students to Chautauqua? It was DCA. Weather you like the system, the method, or without starting to argue weather it is fair or not, the fact remains the same.

BTW about marketing. I don’t know where everyone is living but if you have $45-65k to spend and you can’t see through marketing, and base your opinion only on that, than you are a very lucky dude. Because most of us (late career changers) who had to came up with the money alone surely looked around where to drop it. How can you base your opinion only on marketing? You would never buy anything if you would do that.

About my criticism: I have almost 700 posts here (it surprised me too when I logged in after a while), I have been a very active member for years and I have criticized CAA, DCA, call it the way you want it, several times before for:
- quality of airplanes (not safety related though)
- scheduling problems
- customer service issues
- usual politics of any flight academy
- at times unrealistically high expectations
etc…

Some of these issues were resolved, some others weren’t, and I am sure some new will come up in the future... However I had to realize, anywhere I go I would have had to deal with these or similar issues. So I can bitch as much I want… Just like $10/h for CFIs… it sucks but it sucks everywhere not only at DCA. Most of my posts are gone by now but I pitched in deeply when it came to criticize, I got into piss matches with other DCA students too, and I have also had my times when I felt I wanted out. But the bottom line did not change. Almost all of my former CFIs are either hired at a DCI airline or hired somewhere else, or are waiting for an interview. Every student whom I have seen finish training was either hired as a CFI, or was picked up by another school within no time because we have a good reputation as far as standards of training and you can’t be a complete idiot if you have finished here. I have already received a CFI offer before I even had my CFI ticket from an FBO… didn’t take it but it sure is a good feeling to know what if I get the axe. It is not that difficult to wash out in standz class.

I am a week or two from being done with my training and spent about $40-42k-ish total (up to CFII) by staying in Broward. I doubt that that is too much today. I would not trade my training with any FBO for like 10 grand even if I will not get hired as a CFI here. Just right now I had to put in 6 hours study time into a single ground briefing (on top of another 4 yesterday), other places will sign you up with the DPE without even making you do a single CFI brief. Thanks I rather stay… and bitch about high standards.

This in general to whomever:

People are envy of DCA because they feel they don’t get the same chances and when they figure it out it is too late. When hiring was good DCA got some badmouth, but not even close as much as during the hiring slowdown. That is a clear indication of people being envy and thinking DCA grads got some unfair advantage because they had the money. Guess what? Someone somewhere had to make that money, someone somewhere had to decide that he will not be cheap and give it a shot… Most of those are in, some aren’t. If you could do it cheaper GREAT!!! I am glad for you, but if you could not than don’t blame DCA for it. This is a world of money… sucks not to have it though, took me 3 years to finish what one can finish in 10 months… sucks but I can promise you, you do not want to change to communism.

Now lets see if I still have an account to paste this in…

Take a peek around. 100% of the flight training forums are deluged with criticism. No one seems to have a problem with that except for this forum.

And then largely, I'm accused of saying things or whatever that quite frankly I do not remember saying and that when I ask for a reference you cannot find one. I could easily say "Bank of America promised to give me $5,000, but I can't remember where it was said, but it was real"

Quite frankly, you've got to realize that you're a guest in my electronic living room. It'd be interesting if you could trade positions with me as a webmaster for 48 hours and look at the trail of gossip, rumors, and especially "blankity blank at XYZ FBO said "insert quote here") and we'd see how sensitive you'd be when someone questions your integrity. Believe me, I get feedback hourly.

But if you're going to outright insult the webmaster, hey, I don't have a problem at all with challenging you to support those statements, just as I'd expect you to if I made an unfounded statement about your project's credibility.

Remember, jetcareers is a lot more "Bill Maher/Politically Incorrect" than it is "Larry King Live" and when my credibility is questioned, I'm going to respond.

I'd like to know how you'd run the website differently.

PS, everyone plays the "Oh, just delete my account and delete my posts" crap at least twice a week. You only get canned for unjustifiably insulting the webmaster or trolling my forums.

Being a supporter of Delta Connection Academy, I think the most beneficial thing we can do for the school is post honest responses about the school. Potential students are looking for feedback and answers, not who is the best at arguing some point - usually which is unsubstantiated. For example, those who attend other schools and know nothing about DCA, yet decide to come here and post negative comments about the school. These are the same people who focus on how shady and misleading our marketing department is, yet they resort to worse tactics IMO. Notice, I am not talking about everyone who mentions negative things about our advertising, just those that do so because they have no other grounds for which to try and bash DCA. And no, I am not going to respond to those that are going to try and continue around and around about the marketing. Enough already. Nor am I saying that people from other schools shouldn't post here. Most of it is so ridiculous that it has no impact. Notice I said MOST.

I understand that there are going to be ex-students who for one reason or another didn't finish their training at DCA. I am interested in reading their posts as well as those that have positive things to say. They have first-hand experience with the school. Usually they are sour about their experience and don't have any good things to say and emphasis the negatives, just as those of us who have enjoyed our experience are going to empasis the positive. But that is their right to say what they want, and it helps students see that DCA is not perfect. Hopefully they (the prospective student) will be able to realize that no school is perfect, and you as a student will only get out of your training what you put into it. I will tell any potential student to look at other schools, as well as consider the local FBO route before making a decision to attend. What was the best choice for me will not be necessarily the best choice for you. I think most people at DCA will agree. As an instructor in Sanford, I would rather have one happy, motivated and hard-working student and get less hours than to have 3 lazy and disgruntled students which would give me my 800 hours quicker. Ok, maybe not 3, but definitely 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It may take me longer to get to the airlines, but I will be able to sleep a whole lot better at nights.

Guess I kind of went off on a tangent here. The point I was trying to get to is that in any of these threads as with any of the schools, there are going to be negative comments posted, legit or not. Hopefully those reading will be able to decipher between the two.

And Doug, you did mention that the reason you haven't changed the name of the forum from Comair is: [ QUOTE ]
No real reason to date, I just haven't gotten around to changing it.

Initially someone became, in my opinion, quite pushy about the name change and it turned into a short-lived game of 'King of the Hill" for about a week.

One of those "Hey buddy, I pay the bills 'round here"-type things.

Then I largely forgot about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you could find the time to do this since I have reminded you?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And yes, some of us do appreciate your dedication to this website, not to try and kiss your your-know-what. Without it, we wouldn't have a place for people like H46Bubba to post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Based on the above, don’t you think that they can advertise that they are the only school who has done that? Who else has placed anyone into Comair lately?

So, are you saying you can't get hired at Comair unless you go to DCA?

Back