What Delta Connection??

I saw the list for the next Bridge program class. Most were hired by Chautauqua. I think maybe six were hired by Comair and two were hired by ASA. That's just off the top of my head, so the numbers might be off a little. They've also been posting how many instructors have been reaching their 800 HRS dual given. I would say about 10 or more a month, which is good. We were top heavy for a while due to 9/11.

[ QUOTE ]
And then largely, I'm accused of saying things or whatever that quite frankly I do not remember saying and that when I ask for a reference you cannot find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I search I can only find 100 of my 700 post. Where is the rest? There is a limit on the search. It is there somewhere on your HD. I didn't dream it. It is from around 2001-2002 but probably more like 2001. I do not have the exact keywords, and my search and time is limited.

[ QUOTE ]
Quite frankly, you've got to realize that you're a guest in my electronic living room. It'd be interesting if you could trade positions with me as a webmaster for 48 hours and look at the trail of gossip, rumors, and especially "blankity blank at XYZ FBO said "insert quote here") and we'd see how sensitive you'd be when someone questions your integrity. Believe me, I get feedback hourly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly I do realize I am a guest, and I hope you too realize that a forum is made of guests. You made JC, I have no intentions to trade seats. A forum comes with opinions.

And your integrity? Who said anything about that? You are pissed because DCA is using Delta’s name. Since then you don’t let a post slide without making a negative comment. You are hostile against the school, that is what I’ve said. Nothing to do with your integrity. You guys just can’t get over the fact that DCA is using something in marketing that just about everyone is using. You even had to mention it in your newsletter.

It is called brand recognition and my humble guess is that it puts $$ into mother Delta’s pocket at the end of the day. Do you think Delta Airlines has a problem with that? They sure would have said so if they would by now. All it would take is a phone call.

Sooo how about this: Delta Airlines is deceptive... because they don’t put a stop to misleading advertisement at DCA. There you have it. So now I will not fly Delta anymore.

Makes no sense to me and for the record I am not stating it, it is only a theoretical twist for the sake of argument. I am waiting your answer on this.

[ QUOTE ]
But if you're going to outright insult the webmaster, hey, I don't have a problem at all with challenging you to support those statements, just as I'd expect you to if I made an unfounded statement about your project's credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me a searchable version of the forum, I will find it. But as it is now I can’t find some of my old posts even.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how you'd run the website differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are interested in my opinion, but here it goes.

Calling schools the proper name would be fair regardless weather you agree with the name itself or not. As long you are putting the same effort into bashing FSI, ERAU, Pan Am etc... than as into DCA... I will call you impartial. But this has not been the case before, I don’t know how it is now. Also if you would try to base your opinion on something else other than a paper ad, it would make for a better dialog.

[ QUOTE ]
PS, everyone plays the "Oh, just delete my account and delete my posts" crap at least twice a week. You only get canned for unjustifiably insulting the webmaster or trolling my forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS It was you, not me, who mentioned that you would normally ask me to leave. I have aired my opinion about your attitude toward DCA. I stand by it. Now you say I have “outright” insulted you when you have called my opinion “rotten” and insulted me.

You are a critique of the school. << This here is a fact.
You are overdoing it. << This here is my opinion.

If that above is insulting, attacks your integrity, raises you blood pressure by a 100... than I don’t know what to tell you... this is a forum, you wouldn’t survive to be a webmaster at flightinfo.com for a second if you would take everything personal.

DE727UPS,

Sorry but a one line comment won’t spark a discussion.

[quote. . .this is a forum, you wouldn’t survive to be a webmaster at flightinfo.com for a second if you would take everything personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa...Doug wants to be a webmaster at flightinfo.com?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

"Also if you would try to base your opinion on something else other than a paper ad"

Look, my whole negative opinion about DCA is based on their ads and marketing. I have no problem with their training, and, as long as they are kicking guys into jet seats that have over 1000 total and a couple of hundred of multi...then I'm not against their "program". There is more than one way to skin a cat (pursue a flying career) and going to DCA is one of those ways. More power to ya.

I just keep asking a question and you keep not answering it. Seems you don't like that way I ask it? That's fine with me....

Yeah...flightinfo.com doesn't hold a candle to this place. I check it everyday but hardly ever post. Too much rudeness in the house for me. Call me thin skinned but I just don't care for it. Anet's even worse, I don't even go there anymore.

Funny thing is that one of the main mods over at flightinfo and I are pretty good pals! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The whole online aviation community is a pretty small clique.

Poor Bill (at fi) got 12 to 15 pages of "Moderator Reports" on a daily basis whereas I might get one or two a week and quite frankly I like it that way.

And I'd say a majority of my users support the way I run my website. Some do, some don't, but they keep on coming.

The forums for the most part autoclean after so many days, because considering there are approx 12,000 private messages, and over 330,000 active messages in the system, even with a 120 day autoclean in some forums, it still takes a dedicated webserver and a dedicated MySQL server to handle the traffic. The forum is highly searchable, as well is the website.

All of which is financed by selling ads on the website.

Don't like the way I run the forums? Well, infopop, vbulletin and phpBB all sell community software, I've been pretty happy with Hostway.com in terms of leased dedicated servers and web hosting services and you can feel free to create an environment at the new community which you think would suit your preferences better.

By all means, have at it.

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa...Doug wants to be a webmaster at flightinfo.com?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I never got a response to my application! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Also if you would try to base your opinion on something else other than a paper ad"

Look, my whole negative opinion about DCA is based on their ads and marketing. I have no problem with their training, and, as long as they are kicking guys into jet seats that have over 1000 total and a couple of hundred of multi...then I'm not against their "program". There is more than one way to skin a cat (pursue a flying career) and going to DCA is one of those ways. More power to ya.

I just keep asking a question and you keep not answering it. Seems you don't like that way I ask it? That's fine with me....

[/ QUOTE ]As is mine.. the reason I post in this forum is because I actually have something in common with DCA and that is - location... I know orlando and the orlando area like the back of my hand, I used to live there for a good 10 long years and to top it off, I've been to DCA (way back when it was CA) - I just never mentioned it because all I have is old information.. so when it comes to this forum, I only participate when someone's asking about the area because I've only been to the academy once (as a visitor) and it was such a long time ago that I'm sure everything has changed. Every now and then I interject on the marketing of the company because, IMO, a company should be able to stand/market based on principles &amp; references of the company and they shouldn't NEED to use grey area marketing. So, if you must know, that's why I contribute to this forum vs the other flight school forums. Would you like to question my participation on any of the other forums? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have nothing against DCA except that I don't particularily like the way they market and I don't particularily like how their marketing people(?) have treated my husband &amp; this website in the past - but that's my opinion and i'm allowed to it (I'll say nothing more about that since it's supposed to be "in the past").

I have absolutely nothing against the school itself, those who work there or those who teach or learn there - if you can afford the school and you enjoy it, then it was the right choice for you to make now wasn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, I'd actually like to see someone at DCA (perhaps Yankee_One?) answer the original question at the beginning of this thread, if it's possible? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

the latest add cracks me up..Delta was so convinced we were the best flight school, they bought us. I am sure Delta was in the market for a 141 school and actually shopped around..the only problem I ever had was the way I was "marketed" when I toured the school and the glossy ads I see sometimes...they market towards people who really dont know any better and I feel thats taking advantage of a uninformed persons naivety..

I am not in admissions/marketing, administration or management, I am an instructor, so I can't really answer the question but I will say what I recall. When the school was Comair Aviation Academy and owned by Comair Airlines, instructors were placed in different airlines, but the majority went to Comair. From what I heard, CAA instructors comprised more of the training classes than any other school and there was preference for CAA instructors. Were CAA instructors the only people in their training class... absolutely not. CAA was not the only way to get to Comair Airlines, but percentages were better having gone through the academy of being accepted to the training class, especially at 1000 hours, than having attended another school. My assumption is that there was no need for a "Comair Direct" program, because that is where the majority went anyway. However, when the name was changed to Delta Connection Academy, and subsequently the Delta corporate flow chart was "amended" (I don't think DCA is owned by Comair Airlines anymore, I think there was some accounting paper shuffling, but I may be wrong), other Delta Connection carriers agreed to start interviewing and accepting more of DCA's instructors. If I recall correctly, the President of ASA was in Sanford for the name change "ceremony". Did ASA decide to accept more of 'our" instructors because of the name change, or was the name changed because ASA said they would start accepting more instructors if we did?? I don't know. And I am not trying to single out just ASA, but originally this was the airline asked about in regards to the Direct Track program at FSI. As far as that program, I am not sure if it was agreed upon prior to CAA changing to DCA, but I think it was. By no means am I trying to imply that FSI wouldn't have that program had CAA become DCA earlier. But FSI is not the only route to ASA, as DCA is not the only route to Comair. Instructors now have their choice to interview with any of the Delta Connection carriers that are hiring. I personally know instructors that just within the past 2 months have gone to Comair, ASA, Chatauqua, Skywest and Skyway. I agree that "Being the only school authorized to serve the entire Delta system" can be misleading because those airlines don't hire only from DCA, but... can any other school guarantee their instructors an interview with any Delta Connection carrier that they choose? I think this is what that statement is based upon. I would think that the marketing dept. at DCA is smart enough not to "falsely advertise". Play on words... sure, it is a business, but lie... no way. Do they need to use "grey area" marketing?? Probably not. But to be honest, the ads are working... advertising is meant to get attention, and they have certainly done that. They are not meant to sell. As far as taking advantage of the uninformed, who bases their decision on an ad? The ad gets people to call, ask questions and hopefully visit so that they become informed, not to take advantage of them and take money from people who don't know better. Again, I don't have numbers, cold hard facts or anything to back these statements up with, they are based on my memory (which sometimes fails me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) and my opinions.

"The ad gets people to call, ask questions and hopefully visit so that they become informed"

You know what really bothers me about DCA's ads, and all the other academies that are in flight training and flying, is that they make it all look so easy. "Just come to our school, we are the best, and then you too can be an airline pilot." Do you think when people come to DCA to be "informed" about the school that they learn about the truth of the industry?

Not picking on DCA or foz, at least your still in the fight, but as a guy who's been in aviation since 1978, I know how hard it is. I just hate to see these ads make it seem so easy cause the truth is....it's not. Hopefully, guys come to places like jetcareers to get the other side of the story.

And I'm not complaining, either, cause I'm really happy being where I'm at and doing what I'm doing...but I've made some serious sacrifices to be here.

Your gonna say a prudent person should know all this before they check into DCA as their path to an aviation career. I'd agree....but no school should use half-truths to give false hopes, either.

The ASA program was in place at FlightSafety years before CAA became DCA, so I doubt very highly that it was ever going to be considered a CAA program.

[ QUOTE ]
The ASA program was in place at FlightSafety years before CAA became DCA, so I doubt very highly that it was ever going to be considered a CAA program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be a smart ass, but wasn't the first Direct Track class this June 7th? I understand it takes time to implement such a program, but I doubt it has been "years since CAA became DCA" as stated. Also, I was not trying to imply that DCA would have the ASA program vs FSI. As I stated, DCA instructors have their pick as to which Delta Connection carrier to interview with, it is not just Comair or just ASA. Again, not implying FSI grads can only go to ASA either, but as far as I know, they have no agreement with Delta Connection that guarantees an interview with any of their carriers.

UPS, I understand your point and certainly with your experience, you have a wealth of knowledge that could be helpful to prospective aviators. However, regarding the ads, isn't that the nature of the beast though? It is not only in aviation where marketing sugar coats. It is in every industry. Does this make it right? Absolutely not. Will it stop? Absolutely not.

Foz, FSI has a program with ASA back in the 90's. I dont remember the exact details of it but it was there. I think it was more along the lines of a instructing and then at a point FSI helped you get prepared for the interview. I am not sure if it involved the other stuff like 121 sim rides and stuff.

[quote,. I personally know instructors that just within the past 2 months have gone to Comair, ASA, Chatauqua, Skywest and Skyway..

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true, but Skywest Airlines has no agreement at this time with DCA.

And in my humble opinion, the name change came about as a result of management realising that Comair would, at that time, soon have no need for as many (or any) pilots so they had to change the name to keep the marketing machine oiled and slick. Smart business move, and gauranteed to suck more and more unsuspecting people with a dream to fly in to their system.

Re: This is what I mean....

(This is just a general statement and not targeted at this particular forum)

DE - running Jetcareers for years I've noticed that for every one professional helping students cut thru the "hype", there are at least three or more people working breathlessly to discount your advice. It's really a losing battle for the most part.

Online forums took a massive chunk out of the "hype machine", but "HypeMachine XP" is a killer.

Re: This is what I mean....

foz,
I will be glad to clarify. The program has been in place since the 1990's and was put on hold after ASA halted the direct track and hiring in general post 9/11. The class that just started was not the first class to go through by any means, just one of the first since 9/11.

I think you will find that instructors from a variety of schools are getting hired at regionals. THe only thing DCA offers is a guranteed interview, still need hiring minimums if I am not mistaken and it is still in the end, just an interview, its still the pilots job to get hired.

Back