What could I do??

My first question to you would be, how far along in training are you? The first think, make sure you want to do this. I'm only 23 years old... but I can tell you, it is difficult starting out- but it's worth it to me, because I want to fly. If it's what you want to do, wonderful... just think it through first.

As to what you can do. You can get your CFI/CFII/MEI and do that part time or full time. IF you did freelance, you could probably keep your day job too. Another thought would be, if you've got some money behind you, you can find a certain type of instruction and specialize your talents. You can pick some obscure type or types of airplanes and be the go to person when somebody new purchases that type of airplane. I know some people do very well with that.

If flight instructing is not for you... you can still get picked up by a regional airline for 10 years- give or take a few years, depending on when you've got your hours. I've heard they like people around your age because the chances of you switching to a different airline is slight. It would not be to your benefit to move from regional to regional.

Other option would be corporate or charter. The perk here, you can fly beyond the age of 60.

Just a few options. What kind of flying do you want to do?

It is never too late to learn fly. However, you probably not going to see a major and you will probably retire at regonal, possibly still a First Officer.

You may consider one of the "accelerated" programs. However, I am not sure you would ever recoupe your expenses.

I would go to a local FBO and get your ratings and begin instruction ASAP and try get twin time anyway you can. If you get some time and are a little lucky you may get on with a regional. After about 10 years at regional you may or maynot be a captain, depending on the industry. Then you can retire with some good experience and try to go over to the 135 world and keep flying.

Good Luck..

You may want to consider ATP as a place to go for the rest of your ratings. 3 months and you're done. Also, you've got the minimum multi time out of the way for regionals. And, in all honesty, it's not that overpriced. The FBO route would be another good option for you. I'd recommend you stay away from the big schools that cost $60,000... it's going to be a pain to make that money back-- and the 10 month fast track isn't all that fast... nothing that you couldn't do at your local airport.

I would also agree with PACE as a first choice, but depending on your schedule etc. ATP is alot more flexible and can get you done with your ratings and decent multi time in about a year.

Back