What can i do to make my application look better???

I called the facility where I wanted to go and went and talked to the ATC Manager. I would highly recommend it.

As far as Alaska goes...

I'm ahead of you (who knows how many others from PUBNAT1-7) and so is all of PUBAK. Regardless, I assume they will keep hiring until they have actual graduates heading to postions across the state. Just try to avoid Fairbanks ;)

Also on OTS-CTI people...

My CTI counselor has been throwing an "80% OTS dropout rate" at us for the academy. I don't believe her... as I know a college program always wants their numbers up. But it might not be too far off. Even then, you need to be better than 80% at the most. I'm used to the 99 percentile myself.

I called the facility where I wanted to go and went and talked to the ATC Manager. I would highly recommend it.

What did you say to them?

Was visiting them necessary? Since most of the facilities i want to go are out of my state.

As far as Alaska goes...

I'm ahead of you (who knows how many others from PUBNAT1-7) and so is all of PUBAK. Regardless, I assume they will keep hiring until they have actual graduates heading to postions across the state. Just try to avoid Fairbanks

Also on OTS-CTI people...

My CTI counselor has been throwing an "80% OTS dropout rate" at us for the academy. I don't believe her... as I know a college program always wants their numbers up. But it might not be too far off. Even then, you need to be better than 80% at the most. I'm used to the 99 percentile myself.

Simoneaux:

Did you apply for alaska?
Hows the process going?
Do you know any numbers about people applying there? Getting jobs?
Id really like to be in anchorage (any facility).

Is that a reasonable thought?

And for the OTS 80% drop out range...

Ive heard that the numbers between OTS and CTI were about even. And i heard that alot of people were passing. Im getting this from this forum. Thats just what ive heard. Where was your counsellar getting her info from??

And what school are you at??

Always a good start.

I got to tour both the TRACON and tower after my interview and met the ATM at the tower. Just a basic "Hello I'm so and so," a firm hand shake and a “thank you.” I could have hung out in the tower all day! They were fairly busy so I kept quiet other than that. That was my first professional contact with any local controllers.

I would recommend getting tours at all the facillities you can that you would want to work at. Just be respectful, smile, present yourself well, and make sure they know you are excited about the idea of becoming a controller.

Here’s a good post on that subject…

http://forums.jetcareers.com/applic...sat-geo-prefs-annoucements/78412-dont-do.html

Im going to try to find some emails and phone number. Give a call maybe some emails. Problem is that every where i want to go is out of state. So, that creates a problem as to taking a tour and meeting the manager, unfortunately.

Do you think phone calls and email will help as well??

Simoneaux:

Did you apply for alaska?
Hows the process going?
Do you know any numbers about people applying there? Getting jobs?
Id really like to be in anchorage (any facility).

Is that a reasonable thought?

And for the OTS 80% drop out range...

Ive heard that the numbers between OTS and CTI were about even. And i heard that alot of people were passing. Im getting this from this forum. Thats just what ive heard. Where was your counsellar getting her info from??

And what school are you at??

1) Yes, was my number 1 geo pref and I was born, raised, and live in Anchorage. A BIG plus.

2) Like I said, I'm waiting for my clearances (drug test, security, background, mental, blah blah). Then I should get my FOL. I would think in about a month or more.

3) No numbers, other than a general need. Anchorage will fill up before Fairbanks and Juneau. I would go with Juneau over Fairbanks, but it's a pretty small tower.

4) They wanted me in the TRACON (level 9) but I expressed interest in the tower (level 8)during the interview. My TOL ended up being for the tower so I was happy. I will take a pay cut for some windows :D

5) Again, it was my school counselor. I know it was biased to try and scare me into staying with the program, forking over thousands of more dollars and keeping her numbers up and dropouts down.

University of Alaska Anchorage. It is rated as the number 2 or 3 CTI school in the nation, but those numbers are skewed (It’s the best;)) and UAA grads are highly sought after by those who know.

Tks for letting me know. I would very much like to be in tracon or enroute in anchorage.

How long did it take for you to be offered a job from when you applied ots? Just asking because im curious about the fact if there need of people is resulting in a quicker process?

Let me know what you think.

Also, if you talk to anyone who would know about if there still in need, please let me know. Although, i am going to be emailing tracon and enroute and tower.

Also curious why would you go with juneau over fairbanks?

You bring up excellent points. Ive decided that when it comes time i will be putting alaska as one of my choices. Besides Louisiana do you know of any other states that have made it clear they need more atc? (really not fond of Louisiana)

Thanks alot!

I heard Michigan has a need.

I'd add some of these stickers. EVERYONE loves puppies!!:panic:

prod14742_lg.jpg

How long did it take for you to be offered a job from when you applied ots? Just asking because im curious about the fact if there need of people is resulting in a quicker process?

Let me know what you think.

Also, if you talk to anyone who would know about if there still in need, please let me know. Although, i am going to be emailing tracon and enroute and tower.

It took me 7 months to the day from the time I applied in PUBNAT4 until I got my PEPC offer. That's not even a final offer. Expect a year or more from application to class date, and that's if you get picked. Read the boards here, and you'll see how many folks are in the "waiting pool". The FAA moves at the speed of government, which is as fast as they can go with the manpower they have and the bureaucratic red tape involved in hiring people to work for the federal government. Don't expect it to move any faster just because they need people - especially with a slower economy.

Look up websites for your desired locations, and get your name out there. If an ATM knows your name and desire, there is a slightly better chance of you getting picked for it. Of course, that all depends on who the ATM knows and is willing to give your name. Some can help, some cannot. I still think it's best to meet your potential future employer, though, so I went and met the one in St. Louis, MO, and the one for Nashville, TN. It was definitely worth it in the end. Not only did I get my name in well with them (I have a friend at Nashville at retirement age that is one of their best trainers that actually gave me a glowing review), but I also learned SO much more about the industry and how things work.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your "opinion" shaba169. :(

I'm a current CTI student and I am waiting for the last of my clearances to go through before I get my FOL for a Tower position. I had a local interview (Non-PEPC) and didn't "technically" prepare for it. Meaning, I didn't look on here for possible questions or brainstorm what they could be. I was given less than 48 hours notice.

When asked, "what did you do to prepare for this interview?” I mentioned that my current CTI education and past interest in being a pilot (and not in the same words) has given me an edge over other OTS applicants. Basically said I have learned what skills are necessary for a controller and determined that I posses those skills and think I would make an excellent controller.

Actually, the first question he asked me was "are you an OTS or CTI applicant?" I said "a little of both."

Do you still think being a current CTI student will not help you get hired? ;)
No, shaba is correct. I did CTI and got hired OTS. The only thing CTI did is make basics extremely boring. The interview is a formality and it has no bearing whether or not you did CTI school. You may think it's a plus but if you simply said "I got a good night's sleep and ate a healthy breakfast" for that question you still would have passed the interview.

Hey guys,

Im currently in the cti program at aims community college. However, while im in the program I would like to apply OTS so i may have a chance to get hired early.

A little about my background is that i have no aviation at all except for the cti program.

So, my question is does anyone know anything i can do to make my application look better for the hiring process??

Please any suggestions.

Also, just real quick does anyone know when the next OTS hiring will be?

Thanks alot everyone!!!

Be 100% honest, no matter what.

Yep.

It may have helped you get hired, but it had no help in getting you that interview.

Do we really know that for sure? A lot of things on here about the OTS process are speculation.

You also have to take into consideration the help, even a partial CTI education, would give anyone on the AT-SAT. And the fact you need the required 4 years work/school history, part of that could be from the program.

Also… it was one of my professors that told me to apply (not one from an actual ATC class, but a general aviation class). CTI is 100% of the reason I expect to get a class date within a month or so, almost a full year ahead of graduation. Had I gone PEPC, I might even be at the academy now.

I think this is one of the best things you can do. Just ask them straight up are you guys hiring right now. Several states right now have hiring freezes like Idaho and utah so it doesn't matter how great your score is you won't get chosen. If you don't mind moving to some less popular states like alaska or louisiana then your chances will definately be better. Good luck

No, shaba is correct. I did CTI and got hired OTS. The only thing CTI did is make basics extremely boring. The interview is a formality and it has no bearing whether or not you did CTI school. You may think it's a plus but if you simply said "I got a good night's sleep and ate a healthy breakfast" for that question you still would have passed the interview.

I have expected that from basics... :(

The bone I picked with shaba was that his statement was rather broad. He basically said CTI is useless unless you graduate, which clearly it is not.

I know a trained monkey could probably pass an interview... they want to make sure you are living/breathing - not a weirdo with a beardo. However, anyone would feel more comfortable giving you that OK knowing you're more aware of what you are getting into than the average OTS person. From the questions I was asked, I feel he wanted to know just that. But yea, it’s one of the easy parts. The difference with my interview vs. PEPC is it was done at the facility I will work in, and with people I will be working with.

Tks for letting me know. I would very much like to be in tracon or enroute in anchorage.

7 months. Probably won't speed you up. You're moving at their pace.

Also curious why would you go with juneau over fairbanks?

I'm not sure what you can accomplish at a distance. Shouldn't hurt though. You may have missed the boat with AK, depending on how many are serious about coming here from PUBAK.

Fairbanks gets freakin cold in the winter. You should see the funny things that happen to cars at -50 degrees below zero or more. A recent cold snap had temps below that. Juneau is like SEA, but it's a small isolated city. You should look up some stats before going to either.

...has given me an edge over other OTS applicants. Basically said I have learned what skills are necessary for a controller ...

From what I have seen in 24+ years of controlling and 2+ years of CTI folks coming in the door, and then being shown the door, I completely disagree with the above statement.

The only thing I have seen the majority of CTI students possessing is an "I know everything" attitude.

Back