What are the DCA realities?

[ QUOTE ]
DCA is right now the best avenue out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep telling yourself that, maybe it will come true.

[ QUOTE ]
2)I offer every student time to go to the hanger. Something Flight Safety udderly refused."due to insurance regulations." I could only peer in from over a do not cross line. makes you wonder what they were trying to hide.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll find that many maintenance facilities are like this, and it is because of liability insurance. At the shop I apprenticed in, people were prohibited from the shop floor unless they were accompanied by an employee. At FSI, even students and instructors are supposed to stay outside the yellow line that goes through the hanger. They aren't trying to hide anything. Its called CYA. If they take a tour through there, and someone trips on a cord, and smashes their head into a toolbox or something there could be problems. If a lardass can sue McDonalds for making them fat, then I garuntee some overzealous father could sue the pants off FSI or DCA because his clumsy kid hurt his/herself while on a tour of the maint. hanger.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep telling yourself that, maybe it will come true.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity because of your cynicism for DCA, have you ever toured here? Did you attend DCA, or Comair as the case might be, and not get hired? Or are you speaking purely on heresay? Are you with an airline, and if so what route did you take (with the hours you had when you were hired) to get there? You don't think DCA is the best route for anyone, so where would you think would be a better place considering the condition of the airline industry?
I currently am a student at DCA, and I think this is hands-down the best place for me. And yes, I do keep telling myself that. Maybe I should reiterate for you why I do keep telling myself that - I personally see instructors every month (as I said before, 80-90%) go to Comair Airlines. I also see other instructors going to Chautaqua Airlines. The facts are that over 95% of DCA's instructors are going to the airlines. I'm not reading these facts off of some "marketing person's list" - I am talking to these people in person. Will Comair stop hiring as many people in the future as they are right now? Will ASA, ACA and others start hiring? Last time I checked, my crystal ball was broken, and don't imagine yours is in any better shape. Who was able to tell that this downturn in the industry was going to happen because of 9/11? No one. If Comair does keep hiring, and other Delta Connection carriers start hiring, I think I am in the best place to be for those jobs. I am not knocking FS, PanAm or any other school. There are many good places to go and learn how to fly safely, I just think DCA is the best.

[ QUOTE ]
ACA, ASA, and Chautauqua all have pilots on furlough. If Comair stops hiring what good is the interview?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know (I may be wrong) ASA has stopped hiring, but has no pilots on furlough. Although Chautauqua may not be hiring as strong, I've recently had a colleague of mine go there, they are still hiring and I'm quite certain they don't have pilots on furlough. Where are these "facts" coming from?

lruppert and aviator.....your comments are fairly harsh. Have you had any bad experiences at DCA/Comair academy? if so, would you mind sharing them with us?

foztofly,

I am a junior majoring in commercial aviation with a business minor at UND. I have never attended Comair Aviation Academy (now DCA) nor have I toured there. My problems with them come mostly from what I have seen the past couple of years on this website, but also from what other pilot's amongst the industry have told me.

First problem: Their glossy ads in all the pilot magazines. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Delta Now Owns Comair" - If that is the case, why are Comair Pilots treating Delta Mainline Pilots with disrespect.

I am not exactly sure how this ad was worded, but it stated something like "You can get a job and meet your future significant other while at CAA." Yeah, the chicks are just all over DCA aren't they. I guess it would be good for the women, but awful for the men.

And my favorite one of all, the ad with the photo of the recent new hire class, the one where the CFI looks like he needs some alone time to go take a dump. Btw, this photo has been the same one for the last year and a half. This ad also states, "The investment in your future is secure...Delta now owns Comair." Whoopty Ding Dong, who cares who owns what. I guess your investment in your future is secure, secure of having plenty of debt.

This was taken from their website. "The Academy is an FAA approved Part 141 school offering a complete professional pilot course that can be completed in about 10 months. Upon completion, you will be able to apply for a paid Flight Instructor position. As a paid Flight Instructor, you will gain valuable experience while receiving the flight hours required by the Airlines." I didn't know flight instructors were getting paid these days. They make it sound like they are doing you a favor by paying you for a job. How much do DCA flight instructors get paid these days? any bennies?
DCA

Scroll down and read about CAA.
Doug's November 28th, 2000 Newsletter

Second problem: A while back Doug caught some flak from CAA (through e-mail I believe) because CAA students were posting negative comments about CAA. Doug invited CAA higher ups to participate actively in the forums so they could answer any questions that potential students or the current ones might have. Well wouldn't you guess, they didn't show up.

(disclaimer, this is what I remember happening as Doug stated through posts. It was a couple of years ago so I could be wrong. Doug or anyone that was a member here back in the day, please correct me if I missed something.

Third problem: Which has to do with their website. When I can't find the price to attend DCA on the website, I feel they are trying to hide something. So what is the going price for someone to start at 0 time all they way through their instructor certificates?

I know my views are harsh, but I if I can help one person make a better informed decision by reading my views, then it's worth it. I feel there are better and cheaper ways to find the cockpit(definitely not saying what I am doing at UND is the way to go).

Sorry buddy, but I've been out in the real world, and I don't live in a dream world. Not to rain on your party! I know that the adds are "glitz and glamor." There suppossed to be. If you want to know the prices send in for the package or call an admissions rep. They'll gladly send you all the info you want. That's why it's not on the ad or on the website. So you will contact them for it. I'm not saying that DCA is for everyone. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Yours is going to UND, mine is DCA. I think everyone needs to do their homework and check out every little tid bit of information they can, for whatever route they decide to take. Make sure it fits there budget, their time frame and needs. It's big decision and step, to seek out the best training to get you where you want to go. Again I stress, DCA is NOT for everyone.
As for the picture' it's cheezy, who gives a rats a$$, it's not like it's a U.S. Army recruiting ad! As far as DCA being Delta owned, who cares! I'm not going to DCA to fly for Delta. I'm sure it is finacially connected somehow.
I'm not even going to get into the whole Comair MEC/ Delta furlogh issue. That's a topic better left on flightinfo.com. I know Doug gets pi$$ed everytime someone mentions it. If DCA students are disgruntled or get the shaft, let them air there complaints for everyone to see. A lot of times they put a negative spin on their post and some are legit. Don't come on here and give out your negative views. Let people make up there own minds. That is a what this tread is about, good or bad. We're all or should be adults here. If not their parents should be able to weed out the good from the bad. It's not your job to disuade people from going to DCA and it's not mine to pursuade. I just post what I myself know or what I've personally heard from former and current students, or what I've personally experienced. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. Both are posted alike. It's cool if you want to post you're opinions, go ahead, they are appreciated for all to see, but, don't come on here to push your negative ideas on others, unless you know from experience!!

The only way to really know is to attend school there. That is the only way to really know for yourself the good and bad.
I have 10 hours of flying and want to speed my training up.
I have looked at 14 schools when I started and have decided to go to DCA... I just have the formality of going down the second week in August to view the school.

As far as the price goes, all I did was call and the admissions guy told me it was around $54K. All you have to do is ask. Yes that is alot of money but I feel they have better connections. Why wouldn't you hire from your own school? It just make sense to me. I plan on attending there in October 2003.

But once again the admissions guy was very honest and truthful....
"There are no guarentees!"
Just like when you graduate from a 4 year school, you hope you find a job. At least DCA gives you an interview. The rest is up to you!

I look at it this way, It is not what you know, it is who you know then it is what you know. I dont care if you know the CEO of Delta. He would not consider giving you a job flying unless you have the ratings.

It is all about who you know!

The only way to really know is to attend school there. That is the only way to really know for yourself the good and bad.
I have 10 hours of flying and want to speed my training up.
I have looked at 14 schools when I started and have decided to go to DCA... I just have the formality of going down the second week in August to view the school.

As far as the price goes, all I did was call and the admissions guy and he told me it was around $54K. All you have to do is ask. Yes that is alot of money but I feel they have better connections. Why wouldn't you hire from your own school? It just makes sense to me. I plan on attending there in October 2003.

But once again the admissions guy was very honest and truthful....
"There are no guarentees!"
Just like when you graduate from a 4 year school, you hope you find a job. At least DCA gives you an interview. The rest is up to you!

I look at it this way, It is not what you know, it is who you know then it is what you know. I dont care if you know the CEO of Delta. He would not consider giving you a job flying unless you have the ratings.

It is all about who you know!

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the price goes, all I did was call and the admissions guy told me it was around $54K. All you have to do is ask. Yes that is alot of money but I feel they have better connections. Why wouldn't you hire from your own school? It just make sense to me. I plan on attending there in October 2003.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I could have found the price by calling their 800 number. That wasn't my point. When they don't put all the info on the website, that forces you to call them and give their marketing reps a chance to pull you in. I don't like that.

As for the guaranteed interview, that is if you get hired on as a CFI and do well with it after that. I know nothing is guaranteed as jobs go when you are done at DCA, UND, FSA, ERAU or anyonere else. I agree, most of the time it is who you know not what you know.

What I do like about UND, you aren't guaranteed anything. But if you do well through training and get hired as a CFI full time, the benefits are great. Full benefits and $14 an hour. If any of you that are reading this and looking for a job, they do hire from the outside. UND is hiring around 40 new CFI's for the fall. The reason they are able to do this, are CFI's are going everywhere. Corporate, regionals, or to different schools to CFI.

I don't have a negative opinion of DCA, never been there. I only posted to respond to the jab about FSI's maintance... I will offer a different perspective on CHQ's current hiring status.

[ QUOTE ]
Although Chautauqua may not be hiring as strong, I've recently had a colleague of mine go there, they are still hiring and I'm quite certain they don't have pilots on furlough. Where are these "facts" coming from?

[/ QUOTE ]

CHQ company memo...

[ QUOTE ]
Pilot Furlough Displacement & Leave Notice Memo

OPS 03-078

July 9, 2003

Due to recent labor developments the Company has lost financing commitments for current aircraft deliveries. This event was not contemplated as we implemented our staff and training requirements. Since it is highly unlikely that we will be able to find alternatives in the near term, the Company now finds itself with a substantial number of excess crew members. Accordingly, and with regret, we will have to make adjustments to target staffing levels resulting in furloughs as soon as July 31, 2003.

Here is the expected breakdown of Furloughs and Displacements:

Furloughs effective July 31, 2003 – 26
Furloughs effective August 31, 2003 – 36
Total Furloughs- 62

Total Displacements:

Capt breakdown:
19 Downgrades to First Officer
6 145 Captain Positions to 135/140 Captain Positions
6 Base Moves
The expected Base changes are:
4 from IND, 4 from LGA and 4 from PHL
2 to BUF, 4 to GSO and 6 to MCO

First Officer breakdown:

A minimum of 12 base moves and a further undetermined number of moves due to Captain downgrades.

In accordance with Paragraph G of Article 11 – Reduction in Force of the collective bargaining agreement between the Company and your union the company is soliciting requests for Unpaid Leaves of Absence by the Pilot Group.

Leaves will be granted to those Pilots who’s leave would prevent the Furlough or Involuntary Displacement of another Pilot.

Please feel free to contact Kathy Wooldridge at 317-484-6003 or Lisa Cody 317-484-6002 with any questions you might have concerning your benefits.

Sincerely,

Bart Wooldridge
Chief Pilot

Cc: Local 747

[/ QUOTE ]

lruppert,

H46Bubba is simply saying that if you want to plug UND, go do it under the UND part of the website. This room is for FACTS (both good and bad) about DCA. I agree, let's be adults and stop the useless bickering on this page. Here is what I know:

*8 of 10 that interviewed two weeks ago have been hired at Comair and are waiting for a class date (rumors of mid August).

*The only thing that the school guarantees is that after succesfully completing your required time as a CFI (currently 800 hours dual given, 50 of which must be MEI), you will get an interview within the Delta Connection System. Currently, Comair seems to be the only guaranteed interview. I am not sure how the interviews get set up with the other four carriers.

Good luck at UND, really! Just remember what message board you are on before promoting a different school. I am sure your comments will reach a lot of people that are actually looking to go to that school but need some more information. I can bet you that the first place they look is not going to be the DCA forum. They will look under UND first.

Take care all!

I see a lot of people on the Comair Threads who never flew there who seem to know all of the facts........yeah right. Go to the FSI thread and look for Comair folks spitting venom there. Last time I checked, about 2-3 months ago, there were none. I guess the reason those guys like to come to the Comair site and whine and moan is something akin to penis envy, but in acedemic terms.
cool.gif

As far as Delta pilots getting snubbed by Comair Airlines, it's about giving up a senority number. Most airlines require furloughed pilots give up their senority number. Would you hire a guy who says, "After you pay a lot of money to train me, I'm going to quit and go back to my old job.", in other words, how quickly the newly hired pilot by Comair is going to jump ship and run back to Delta Mainline when, not if, but when, the recall happens.

ANYWAY....... THAT'S AN ALPA ISSUE, not an airline issue. I've talked about this before, and I thought it was over..........I guess not.

*EDIT*
I changed the word "make" to "require" to keep it more clear.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the reason those guys like to come to the Comair site and whine and moan is something akin to penis envy, but in acedemic terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went through the entire thread, and I don't think you can show me one person from FSI who "spit venom" about DCA in this thread.

None. Gee, I didn't realize people weren't allowed to post in other schools' forums. Don't worry, I won't post here anymore. I was just pointing out that you were falsely blaming people from FSI for "spitting venom" about DCA, when, in reality, not one person from FSI did. I will now leave the DCA forum forever, sorry to intrude. Have a wonderful day.
smile.gif
smile.gif

OKay, let me add my .02c. I'm a former DCA student, left after my Commercial Single Rating. Started with virtually 0 time. I left with 185 hours, my private, instrument and commercial ratings after 9 months. I'd say in those 9 months, between scheduling, weather and maintenance cancellations, I flew about 50% of the days I should have. I also left with $38,000 spent on only those three ratings, and from my friends and other instructors there, I was a little ahead of the curve... Don't for one minute believe the 45K they tell you. It will be more like at LEAST 60K. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, go for it. The amount you learn is amazing (if you apply yourself) and the staff is very knowledgable. I don't regret going there at all.

As for instructing realities. There is a 3-4 month wait for standz class right now from when you finish CFII if you get hired. about 80% of the new hires are being sent to New Bedford, MA to the facility there, the rest remain in Sanford. I'd estimate 10-15% fail out of standz class each time as well. They will be opening a facility in Denver so expect more instructors to be moved there as well in the near future. You will be paid $10/hour (flight hour) and time will vary. I've seen instructors sometimes barely make a living there during slow periods or lots of cancellations. You get full benefits and get full flight privilages on the Delta system.

If there is anything else you guys want, just ask, I'll do my best to give you my experience with it.

NOW STOP getting nasty with the responses!

In both my posts I went out of the way to state I had no negative feelings toward DCA. Only responded to an observation concerning FSI and post info about CHQ. Where's all the "venom"?

Anyway forum is all yours bro......enjoy
wink.gif

Back