What 6 months off will get you...

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
One of the big reasons I left my position with my previous employer back in July was to do a lot of work on my house I got last year. It's a nice home in a nice middle class neighborhood but it had basically not be taken well care of for the almost 20 years of it's existence. It was slow going at times and other times I could barely keep up with what I had on my plate (basically this whole last month). 2400 sq ft and I've basically redone most of the whole thing except for the master bedroom and bathroom (that's next year). Of course I've had some help, I'm not that handy!

Ripped out all the carpet and installed tile and hardwood floors throughout (did most of this by myself). Here's a picture that shows the kitchen and the old layout from the family room. Note wraparound half wall and doorway through the middle:

This picture shows some progress. We took the walls all the way to the ceiling and closed off the doorway that led through the kitchen. Behind the kitchen was basically a formal dining room and also a formal sitting area and foyer in the front of the house. The house is big with 2400 sq ft and 4/2 and it basically had 2 sitting/living areas and 2 eating areas. We decided to sacrifice the formal dining room and add a big walk in closet off the master suite (a picture of that later):

More progress. Framing done, and drywall in (my least favorite part). You can also see where we replaced the old sliding glass door with a solid wood French door I bought for $400 (killer deal):

Heres a more finished picture of the kitchen with cabinets, lighting, and marble countertops installed:

And here's an artsy photo of the new kitchen with backsplash (that was a huge pita) my fiancé took:

...there is so much more I haven't even taken pictures of yet. Tomorrow hopefully I will get the laundry room finished. I have to fabricate a custom countertop to fit the space so that should be a real hoot. I finally finished installing all the cabinets in there today. I'll take some pictures this week as I wrap up more things. Completely gutted the guest bathroom and re-did it with a huge walk-in shower. Still waiting on a huge sliding barn door for the walk-in pantry. Plumber and electrician should be finishing up this week as well.

Been living in a home remodel for 6 months. Words can't express how ready I am for it to be over. If I could go back, I honestly don't know if I would do it again. I kind of feel like if I wanted to do this much stuff to a house, I should maybe if just built from the ground up. But there are frustrations to that process as well so who knows. It definitely cost me a lot more than I planned in both time and money. But it's almost done (hallelujah) and my back/knees couldn't be happier. If nothing else it has reminded me of the fact that I'm not young anymore. Anyway, I'll be pulling 12 to 14 hour shifts all week trying to get it wrapped up before I leave next Sunday for my class date. Cheers!

Nice work. I spent most of last winter doing similar work. I have a lot of respect for people who are skilled with tile - it's much harder than it looks.

We just installed marble countertops as well. Whatever you do, seal those suckers and then seal them again. And again. I have decided that I would not go with marble again. As pretty as it is, it is soft and VERY porous. Damages and stains easily.

Awesome job. There is a sense of pride that comes from doing the work yourself. It can be frustrating and slow going at time, and it's not always perfect, but sitting down and relaxing when it's all done (which is never), really makes it all worth it.

Keep the pictures coming, I need motivation for my next project, full bathroom reno, starting in a few weeks.

Awesome job. There is a sense of pride that comes from doing the work yourself. It can be frustrating and slow going at time, and it's not always perfect, but sitting down and relaxing when it's all done (which is never), really makes it all worth it.

Keep the pictures coming, I need motivation for my next project, full bathroom reno, starting in a few weeks.
My advice is to keep your significant other off of Pinterest!

Very nice! Your work is better than a builder because they won't put the time in to do it right.

I just finished my kitchen; started it October 2, 2013 and went to work to rest! It was the completion of phase 5 of a total rebuild of the first floor of the house (including the deck, installing beams in the basement to level the floor, demolishing and rebuilding the front of the house because I wasn't installing a beautiful new Marvin window in a bowed wall, leveling the floor that sank 4 1/2 inches from the front to the back of the house, redoing the electric, installing a tankless water heater, gutting all walls and ceilings and installing insulation). I did the living room/dining room, office, bathroom and now kitchen. I built all the cabinets myself and made stained glass panels for some of the cabinets. Whew. Now it's time to rest for a bit.

Very nice! Your work is better than a builder because they won't put the time in to do it right.

I just finished my kitchen; started it October 2, 2013 and went to work to rest! It was the completion of phase 5 of a total rebuild of the first floor of the house (including the deck, installing beams in the basement to level the floor, demolishing and rebuilding the front of the house because I wasn't installing a beautiful new Marvin window in a bowed wall, leveling the floor that sank 4 1/2 inches from the front to the back of the house, redoing the electric, installing a tankless water heater, gutting all walls and ceilings and installing insulation). I did the living room/dining room, office, bathroom and now kitchen. I built all the cabinets myself and made stained glass panels for some of the cabinets. Whew. Now it's time to rest for a bit.

Wow, impressive. Question for you on insulation. Did you rip all the drywall down to insulate? My house has nothing in the walls and had rolls upside down in the attic, making them essentially useless after 60 years. I put blown in up in the attic, but am at a loss for what to do in the walls. Everything I've read says, that without a proper vapor barrier, anything you put in the wall (if using blown in through a small hole at the top) will simply get moist, collapse to the bottom and then turn into a mold/mouse pile. Trying to avoid ripping all exterior walls down, any thoughts?

image.jpg
He gutted it all but had the kitchen functional for all but two nights. The original insulation was as you described.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 221
Very nice work man! I wish I had more skills in the field of remodeling. If I was to take a crack at it, the house would probably look worse afterwards :)

Very nice work man! I wish I had more skills in the field of remodeling. If I was to take a crack at it, the house would probably look worse afterwards :)
Find a small project and do it. The wife and I were the same way, I decided one day the entryway floor needed to be re done. "Accidently" dropped a sledgehammer on it and we were off to the races.

Back