"We'll try our best"

Anytime I hear "We'll try our best" will automatically get converted in my head to a "no" and then I move on to Plan B.

Picture of an Airbus pilot when ATC asks to report bearing and distance:
image.jpeg

I cannot stand the clearance on taxi. Especially when there isn't a taxiway and they expect you to back taxi on the runway and be ready at the end because some twin prop is on final.
Did you just say twin prop?
I don't even know who you are anymore!

I waited about 20 minutes to get a position report in with SF AIRINC on the way to Kona the other day. I sipped coffee and chuckled. I wasn't about to lose it over listening to guys mash all over each other on the frequency. At least I wasn't stuck in the rough air that the airliners had to deal with.
SF AIRINC? Nah. Yer on guaaaaard!

To name a few:

-Knowing their radial and DME. It's a D airport, you should be ready to report it. This is the same in the US, it's no different here
-Not tying up the radio asking for a clearance. You'll get it when you get it. There's guys trying to land, trying to get taxi clearence, trying to take off, trying to do 1000 more important things.
-Use correct radio phraseology.
-Set altimeters correctly. You're in FLs down to 40 coming down and starting at 2500msl going up. If it is set correctly, say your altitude correctly. FL 80 is not the same as 8000 if the altimeter setting is really high. Which it usually is, in the afternoon. It makes me really uncomfortable if I have to enter a hold between two airplanes and one of them is saying their altitude like they already trasitioned.
-United guys are the only ones that wave back on the ramp. :)

These things are small by themselves, but they are still annoying. Sometimes though, it also makes the whole already strained operation fall apart. Yes, Aruba is the root of the problem.

I named a few "US jet jockies" that never cause problems. I'm picking on the others.

Having flown both the Metroliner and the A-320, I can assure you that it's MUCH more user friendly to tune a VOR and find a radial in the Metro than the Airbus. The Airbus does not have a NAV Radio to twist and turn. It's all done through the FMS/MCDU. In normal situations the VORs are all autotuned by the FMS. If a radial/bearing/dme is needed, it requires more keystrokes and "heads down time". I fly to plenty of class D airports and they ask for distance from the airport, not a radial/dme.

Having flown both the Metroliner and the A-320, I can assure you that it's MUCH more user friendly to tune a VOR and find a radial in the Metro than the Airbus. The Airbus does not have a NAV Radio to twist and turn. It's all done through the FMS/MCDU. In normal situations the VORs are all autotuned by the FMS. If a radial/bearing/dme is needed, it requires more keystrokes and "heads down time". I fly to plenty of class D airports and they ask for distance from the airport, not a radial/dme.
This thread was the drinky-crow show. :)

Keep in mind, that feat is IMPOSSIBLE in a Metroliner. Which is a filthy old turbo-prop from the 80s. Doable if you accept a SEVERELY unstabilized approach.

1.) Anything is possible if you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior.

2.) I once shot a visual at about 17k from about 10 out in a Metro and I'm not Bob Hoover...so...it's doable...

2.) I once shot a visual at about 17k from about 10 out in a Metro and I'm not Bob Hoover...so...it's doable...

As long as you have speed brakes, and can see the field somewhere in front of the nose, you can land there from present position. Trick is catching the descent with a timely application of power before you pancake into the ground. :) kidding but really I am not, though prob a bad idea with passengers that are humans (i.e. not WSO's).

Much like the old adage that you can't run out of fuel if you can see the field. Many decades of jet aviation have proven this to be fact…...

Last edited:

It is possible, but god damn, rocking back and forth on the NTS system for that long would be SO annoying! LOL :)

I mean, our policy is to be configured by 1000 AGL and stable by 500 AGL. Probably still doable, but I'd probably fug it up if I got distracted by almost anything.

Wait a minute, I read this on my phone first. SEVENTEEN thousand from 10 miles out??? Jesus... :)

Just gotta get the PLs onto the gate so you can lockout the NTS.
STRONG LOL!

Garretts would do it though without overspeeding I bet! I line checked a guy that apparently would always rest their fingers on the triggers to go below flight idle and I didn't notice. We needed to get down in a hurry and they slammed the power levers to flight idle and both of them jumped over the flight idle stop and went into beta and probably a little reverse without any drama other than a lot of scary prop noises that you don't want to hear in-flight, but it came back to normal pitch, no problem, thank god or I may have needed new pants and the company would have needed to buy a new seat! :)

STRONG LOL!

Garretts would do it though without overspeeding I bet! I line checked a guy that apparently would always rest their fingers on the triggers to go below flight idle and I didn't notice. We needed to get down in a hurry and they slammed the power levers to flight idle and both of them jumped over the flight idle stop and went into beta and probably a little reverse without any drama other than a lot of scary prop noises that you don't want to hear in-flight, but it came back to normal pitch, no problem, thank god or I may have needed new pants and the company would have needed to buy a new seat! :)
It's all fun and games until the two motors are rigged different and one goes into flat pitch and the other goes right to reverse and USG reset kicks in!

It's all fun and games until the two motors are rigged different and one goes into flat pitch and the other goes right to reverse and USG reset kicks in!
Just to be clear, I would never consider doing it on purpose. You already know I'm one of those *no lower than 25% torque* guys... :)

Back